Bozy White - RIP

BeBop

Man, that is sad! :( The discography was mentioned in the Bunny Berigan Box set , as well as the Berigan biography a few years back....How could it have taken the police so long to figure out a 76 year old man didn't just up and leave? His stuff is boxed up, but no big deal?

Not only did the author mispell Berigan's name over and over, but the sex of the brother as well, somehow...

Have one shoestring lp, wish some of the stuff had been released on cd....Hope this woman didn't throw away his research!

• 2 years later...

From the ContraCosta Times today:

WOMAN TAKES PLEA DEAL IN JAZZ HISTORIAN'S KILLING

OAKLAND - A 33-year-old Oakland woman pleaded no contest to murder charges in the killing of a local jazz historian.

Elnora Myles agreed Monday, the first day of her murder trial, to serve 15 years to life in prison for second degree murder in the 2003 killing of Cedric "Bozy" White, 76, said Alameda County prosecutor Paul Hora.

White was writing a book about Bunny Berrigan, a trumpet player from the 1930s and '40s. He rented rooms in his home to women in exchange for typing his manuscript. Police said Myles had rented a room from him years earlier.

White's friends stopped hearing from him in February of 2003. Myles had moved into his home and doctored a lease agreement.

Investigators found White's body in the basement of his Oakland Rose Garden neighborhood house three months later.

White was writing a book about Bunny Berrigan, a trumpet player from the 1930s and '40s.

Who will achieve his work ? :(

hi,

Tom Cullen, a longtime friend and collaborator of White, said he resumed working on the project after White's death because "I felt an obligation" and he hopes it will be published later this year.

It will have two volumes, be 1,500 pages long and have numerous photographs, he said.

Here´s the complete article:

http://www.jazzcornertalk.com/speakeasy/sh...ead.php?t=15788

keep boppin´

marcel

• 5 years later...

Once in a while I wonder about Bozy White's Bunny Berigan Bio/Disco.

Today I found this on http://www.jazz-book.com/news.html

"White, Bozy: Bunny Berigan bio-discography. This project has made

further progress. To be published in 2 volumes later this year. "

I hope this comes true. It would be a fitting hommage to both Bunny and Bozy

• 5 months later...

Bozy White's book on Bunny is still anounced for this year at the Norbert Ruecker jazz books site as it was last year. Searching the net I found this from 2009:

From the Minutes of the 2009 Annual Membership Meeting (IAJRC)

Perry Huntoon delivered an update on the status of the Bozy White book on Bunny Berigan. He stated that the progress moved in inches since the last report. The team was able to contact the heiress to Bozy's estate but that developed a snag as no clearance was given, vocal or otherwise with the book. The team was hesitant to go ahead without such rights. Ed Polic, from California, made contact, finally, and through e-mail, she did suggest that there was no interest in the book and would sign a release form. This was fabricated and sent to her. Nothing has been heard from her for several months. There is an urge, on the part of those involved, to go forward, with or without the release. This is being pursued, so no time is lost. The manuscript is in a publisher's hand in the Toronto area and has consented to produce it. The last remaining detail is to assemble the photographic section for the book, and complete the final index. If there is a green light, it may be three months before going to press. Michael Zirpolo, according to Andy Simons, has culled, extensively, the discographical material from the volume and put together a dissertation. This may be serialized in the Journal next year. There has been a three- year delay to recognize this work.

Read more: http://periodicals.faqs.org/201003/1963063171.html#ixzz1jqJYgFYI

Michael Zirpolo published his Mr. Trumpet:The Trials, Tribulations and Triumph of Bunny Berigan in 2011.

Perry Huntoon is on Facebook but no info on Bunny there.

• 1 year later...

The entry for Bozy White's Bunny Berigan's Bio/Disco on Norbert Ruecker Jazz Books Shop now reads:

White, Bozy: Bunny Berigan bio-discography.

2013. 2 volumes (1400p) + CD-ROM index no price so far.

Upon this news I went on to search further and came across this site. To order click on the ISBN. A new email will be opend. The subject may seem strange but I got an email confirming my order.

It's gonna look like this:

Miracle%20Man1.jpgMiracle%20Man2.jpg

Edited by Stompy Jones