proper reissues

reg

should people buy Proper reissues?  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looks like Proper did have to pay up for some of their material lifted, i.e. from the books on Stuff Smith, "Desert Sands" and "Pure at Heart".

DS/68–69 etc; 11 February 1936; 13 March 1936; 12 May 1936; 1 July 1936; 21 August 1936; 4 May 1937 Onyx Club Boys Vocalion & Decca (all titles/takes); 29 June 1939 Selmer (sole title); March 1940 Varsity (all titles – 1939 Varsity not included); 17 November 1943 World (one take each title); 30 May 1944 Selmer (all titles); 8 September 1944 Asch (all titles excl. alternates & outtakes); 9 June 1945 Town Hall (all titles); 1 October 1945 Musicraft (Vaughan title only)

CD Proper [EN] [2] PVCD118 Stuff Smith, Time and Again – latest improper rehash of earlier CD transfers and dubs perpetuating and introducing new errors – extensive liner content incl. original photos, illustrations lifted in garbled form virtually entirely from Desert Sands and Pure at Heart without our prior knowledge – compensation agreed

From this site: http://www.abar.net/smith.html (The above is all that's mentioned re. Proper)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top of the mornin’ to ye, Clementine.

Bejezuz, that’s a grand temper ye have on ye.

Now, would I be roight in thinkin’ that you learned that ridiculous Brooklyn Hillbilly posing at the Fame Academy? And would they have been learnin’ ye anything else at that place?

Moight a drop of the ole Guinness calm ye down? Be sure to leave the head to settle, mind ye.

Wannabee-Oirish Bev to Wannabbee-Street-Cool-With-Banjo-Clem

[boi the way, ye’d be loikin a grand Proper box called ‘Farewell to Oirland’…lots of deloightful com-all-yees from Oirish-America in the Rare Ole Toimes. In fact Oi moight just boi me a copy fur the weekend, begob.]

properbox03.jpg

Edited by Bev Stapleton

• 9 months later...

(--note all clem posts have been deleted). :unsure:

Now why'd he go and do that??? I didn't agree with everything, but he made some good points and furthered the discussion.

I can only conclude that he finally listened to a Proper Box and had a change-of-heart about them... :g

BTW, Proper are using their ill-gotten gains to record new music...

Specific Jazz is an offshoot of Proper and have issued two CDs by British jazz musicians so far:

All Is Know, an album of Monk tunes by saxophonist Tony Kofi

and

Yeah!, an album of Horace Silver tunes by fine altoist (and all- round nice guy) Alan Barnes.

Both good albums too.