• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Release date November 11:

5138WFGWLbL.jpg

In the legendary Captain Beefheart discography, attention usually focuses on the carefully wrought, experimental music heard on Trout Mask Replica. As a consequence, the three stellar albums recorded soon after Lick My Decals Off, Baby, The Spotlight Kid and Clear Spot are often overlooked.

Rhino intends to change that with a four-disc collection that revisits the albums Captain Beefheart (aka Don Van Vliet) recorded with the Magic Band in the early Seventies. It includes all three albums, which have been remastered for the first time, as well as an entire disc featuring 14 previously unissued outtakes from that era.

• 2 months later...

I'm still on the fence about buying this. I already have Decals (on vinyl) and that twofer CD of Spotlight Kid and Clear Spot. I'd like to hear it to see if there's a great aural improvement. And what I'd REALLY like is a remixed Spotlight Kid: they need to bring the band up in the mix and Beefheart's vocals better integrated with the band. There is something seriously wrong with the way Beefheart mixed that album.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Meanwhile, circa 1968-69, in Atlanta GA, the Col. begins his mad career.  Saw HGB several times in the late 60s-early 70s, and caught them just before the end when they opened for Mahavishnu Orchestra around 1972.  Bruce later formed various various jam bands including ARU and The Codetalkers.