Are You On Drugs?

Guest Chaney

When my son (now 26) started smoking grass with schoolfriends, I advised him to be careful with this. Which he did. He is not indulging any more. But I have not been able to persuade him to put an end to his cigarette smoking.

wow, very nice, if my parents found out about my use of it, they would have a very different reaction. Great to see a parent with a more realistic view on the matter.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No drugs here, except for a bit of alcohol sometimes. Never even felt the urge to smoke a cigarette - so why should I. (I guess that's the positive side of me having been quite a loner all the years through school - that hasn't changed since I started at University, five years ago now.)

Some favourite beverages include red wine (of course!), guiness, other beer (belgian preferred, or some good Pils such as Jever), and of course my favourite single malts (search for that thread if interested).

No sports either. I used to bike but stopped around nine or ten years ago. Nothing since then. Admittedly I might loose a few kilos, but not too many. And then, I feel alright. No special diet, but no or hardly any greasy fast food stuff.

No medications, either.

ubu

When I first started "experimenting" with grass as a teenager (before I earned my Masters degree in it)...my Mother had a very interesting reaction. She told me that if I HAD to do something, she would much prefer me to smoke pot than drink alchohol. She was scared to death of drunk drivers and believed that pot not being physically adictive made it the safer choice. Of course she was a hippy...but I think if I ever had kids I would present the same view.

My Mother allowed me the freedom to make my own decisions..and my own mistakes. I'll always be thankful that she had that attitude.

Back surgery, wrist surgery, ankle surgery(All still bother me somewhat).....stomach ailments, some skin problems, sleep "issues" ADHD.... I assume...oooh look, a bird! Hey!!! Wait!!! I've Got a new complaint! :rolleyes:

Actually, nothing, and I mean nothing compared to my Mom's health problems, so I can't complain.......

So, I didn't have time to elaborate earlier about my fun with drugs over the years. Like I said, I quit herb in April of 2003 and can't imagine ever going back. Too addictive. I drink 2 or 3 times a week, but I have been known to binge drink from time to time. I've dabbled in the fungus about 6 times, but I always seem to end up with some type of injury on the stuff. I imagine I'll do it again, every 3-5 years seems to be the frequency. LSD, mostly in college, maybe 10 trips total. Mostly good ones. Ecstasy, about 5x. Always was a good time, but very bad for you, I'm told. Other things white, very rarely. Absinthe a couple of times. No big thrill, there. Health-wise, I guess I'm doing well. I'm 34, never smoked a cigarette, I play basketball and softball a couple times a week. I could eat better, and drink less PBR. I had some liver issues a few years ago when I was playing and drinking 6 nights a week. Went away when I scaled it back. I should be around for a little while!

Well, I'm in Miami training for my new job right now, and promised myself that I wouldn't post until I get back, but I have to jump in on this one. I don't find this depressing at all. I think its great that we can all share this. It makes us feel better.

I'm 26, and I spent over 10 years smoking pot and drinking almost every day, never exercising, and eating like shit. Aside from some occasional bouts of depression that were easily treated with Paxil, I was in perfect shape. A few months ago, I quit the pot cold turkey, drastically cut down drinking, started running 5 times a week and started eating better. Now, I'm twenty pounds heavier and am starting to have body pains. What the hell??

At least the depression hasn't returned.

To all you pot smokers out there, I know how wonderful it is to be high, and there are times where I really miss it. But if you are thinking of quitting, do it. The difference in mental clarity is like night and day. In fact, I'm so mentally clear, that the high I feel every day is better than any high I ever felt after smoking. I'm dead serious about this.

Edited by sal

Well, I'm in Miami training for my new job right now, and promised myself that I wouldn't post until I get back, but I have to jump in on this one. I don't find this depressing at all. I think its great that we can all share this. It makes us feel better.

I'm 26, and I spent over 10 years smoking pot and drinking almost every day, never exercising, and eating like shit. Aside from some occasional bouts of depression that were easily treated with Paxil, I was in perfect shape. A few months ago, I quit the pot cold turkey, drastically cut down drinking, started running 5 times a week and started eating better. Now, I'm twenty pounds heavier and am starting to have body pains. What the hell??

To all you pot smokers out there, I know how wonderful it is to be high, and there are times where I really miss it. But if you are thinking of quitting, do it. The difference in mental clarity is like night and day. In fact, I'm so mentally clear, that the high I feel every day is better than any high I ever felt after smoking. I'm dead serious about this.

Sal,

I'm sure you've never been high in my presence......have you :o ?

A few months ago, I quit the pot cold turkey, drastically cut down drinking, started running 5 times a week and started eating better. Now, I'm twenty pounds heavier and am starting to have body pains. What the hell??

Life's a bitch!

No, I can relate...sometimes it seems the more I run, the more I weigh.

WTF???!!! Or, as 7/4 would "say," :rfr

A few months ago, I quit the pot cold turkey, drastically cut down drinking, started running 5 times a week and started eating better.  Now, I'm twenty pounds heavier and am starting to have body pains.  What the hell??

Life's a bitch!

No, I can relate...sometimes it seems the more I run, the more I weigh.

WTF???!!! Or, as 7/4 would "say," :rfr

Are you only going by your weight, on a scale? Muscle is considerably denser than fat. A 200-pound person with a lot of muscle looks considerably trimmer (and is healthier) than a 200-pounder with a high body-fat percentage. If you're really working out a lot, you should also consider your clothes size as a vindication, not just the scale.

Well, I'm in Miami training for my new job right now, and promised myself that I wouldn't post until I get back, but I have to jump in on this one.  I don't find this depressing at all.  I think its great that we can all share this.  It makes us feel better.

I'm 26, and I spent over 10 years smoking pot and drinking almost every day, never exercising, and eating like shit.  Aside from some occasional bouts of depression that were easily treated with Paxil, I was in perfect shape.  A few months ago, I quit the pot cold turkey, drastically cut down drinking, started running 5 times a week and started eating better.  Now, I'm twenty pounds heavier and am starting to have body pains.  What the hell??

To all you pot smokers out there, I know how wonderful it is to be high, and there are times where I really miss it.  But if you are thinking of quitting, do it.  The difference in mental clarity is like night and day.  In fact, I'm so mentally clear, that the high I feel every day is better than any high I ever felt after smoking.  I'm dead serious about this.

Sal,

I'm sure you've never been high in my presence......have you :o ?

Hey Mark,

I don't think I have! I never liked getting high at the Showcase....live jazz is just better sober to me.

Hope all is well with ya!

I agree completely. What I thought was part of the aging process was just me being pickled. The strange thing is, a couple of years after I quit, someone gave me an eighth and I tried some...couldn't stand the high. I was extremely uncomfortable, the music didn't sound any better, I couldn't concentrate on anything, and I just wanted it to go away. I gave the rest of the eighth to another friend.

I have no regrets as far as my smoking pot when I was 20. It's just the part about not stopping until I was 37 that I regret. Lot a wasted years there, in more ways than one.

But that's just my experience...

The strange thing is, a couple of years after I quit, someone gave me an eighth and I tried some...couldn't stand the high. I was extremely uncomfortable, the music didn't sound any better, I couldn't concentrate on anything, and I just wanted it to go away.

Same here. I always get the shakes, too.