"randreco.exe"

Don't know how I picked it up (suspect kids on line gaming), but I can NOT delete this file - it says it's in use by something else in my system.

Only manifestation so far is an occasional pop-up fr the MS-DOS 19 Bit subsystem that says that the file is trying to perform and illegal operation (or words to that effect) and to click "OK" to close the program. I do, and everything proceeds noramally, but I don't like having this thing on my system.

I did a Google search, and everything I found I tried, yet it keeps coming back. Neither AdAware nor SpyBot seem to pick it up either.

HELP!

As always, thanks in advance.

If you can't get rid of it through Windows you can always get it through DOS. Jot down what directory it's in and then boot your machine into DOS using a Win98 boot disc (if you don't have one, you can probably find one of the web... they are very handy) then just go into the directory in question and delete the file.

If you don't know DOS, here's what to do. When you boot to DOS you'll get a command prompt that looks like this:

A:\

You'll want to get to the C drive (most likely... or whatever letter your harddrive is). You do that by typing "C:\" So then the DOS prompt will look like this:

C:\

Now let's say your file is in the directory named "C:\windows\system32". To get to that directory you just type:

dir C:\windows\system32

Now the only thing to keep in mind is that Windows 98 and 2000 and XP and such can use longer filenames for things than DOS can. So if the file is in "My Documents" or something similair (basically over 8 characters and with spaces... DOS can't have spaces) then the directory/filename will be different. Usually something along the lines of "~mydocum".

So once you get into the directory, type:

del randreco.exe

Reboot and you should be good to go.

Jim, I tried to delete the file through the XE MS-DOS Command Prompt, but when I went to the directory the file is in, it didn't show up!

What does this mean? Does the Command Prompt Shell not reveal all the contents of a directory?

I'm currently battling some infestation by a program called allaboutsearching.com. My 9 year old has been playing around with the comp lately and this bugger's arrival is coincident with that increase in activity.

I've tried Ad Aware, Spybot and Hijack This. It keeps coming back - changes my homepage, adds an unwanted tool bar and a gazillion pop-ups. Totally annoying. Totally sucks. These spyware guys should be shot. :tdown:tdown:tdown

This is probably spyware crap - same for you Ed. Adaware probably won't kill it, but try Spybot Search & Destroy or Spywareblaster. This kinda shit usually infects the registry and is self-replicating unless you first delete it from the reg. I went through this same thing about a month ago.

If nothing else, search the registry entries (using regedit) and delete anything that comes up as "randreco" or "allaboutsearching."

this place has always solved any of these sort of problems for me .(which always seem to happen when I've been looking at sites of a more ahem adult nature

They're full of spyware and germs...

...or so I hear.

:w

Edited by 7/4