Lester Young Verve Box

undergroundagent

Is it an accurate portrayal Young - the man- & Young - the musician?

Thanks.

well you get everything Pres recorded for verve between 1946 and 1959.. excluding concerts ( JATP etc).. and therefore is an accurate portrait of his work during this period, many feel that this is not up to his Basie days, but there is much top level music in the box.. Jazz Giants '56 and the Teddy Wilson tracks espercially.

The only weak spot for me is the " Laughing..." album, but the band does its best to support Pres and it makes for interesting listening anyway.

Similar comments on the Billie verve box.. you get it all but the rehearsal tapes might proove a bit too much foranyone interested solely in the music.

As soon as I get the dough, I'm gonna grab the Prez box. Was eyeing it today at a local music store. I'm a big Prez fan so it's a must; there's lots of good sessions on there for a novice Lester fan as well, such as the Oscar Peterson session and the first Nat Cole session w/ Buddy Rich. There's also a couple of interviews; one is conducted by Chris Albertson. I don't think you'll regret grabbing this one.

_?dR??sounds like you're putting your name down for it before I even buy it!! :P

Like promised, I'm trying to get into some new stuff that I haven't really listed to before. I've owned the Holiday set before and remember the sound quality of the recordings to be understandably bad.

I'm looking forward to eventually getting the Young set. If anyone is interested in selling theirs, or the Charlie Parker Verve for that matter, send me a message.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Edited by undergroundagent

NO, I don't need to buy it, I've had mine since the day of release! It cost, it hurt, but it's quite a set! ^_^

The sound is better than on the Holiday set (which really isn't bad if you ask me). I'm glad you're listening to different stuff. . . . You can really hear a lot of great Lester here, and some not so great, and the booklet is a wonderful resource.

My only complaint about this set is that the liner notes denigrate about half the tracks. Makes you feel foolish for liking them. Even if you agree with the notes writer that Prez is often not up to par, the other musicians on nearly every track are in great form. As I remember it, especially Sweets Edison.

I've had this set for a number of years. Highly recommended, especially if, as was the case with me, you don't have a whole lot of Lester in your collection. Only caveat, listening to the last couple of sessions is really quite sad. It's still Young, but for all intents and purposes, his intonation is gone.

Up over and out.

• 1 year later...

My only complaint about this set is that the liner notes denigrate about half the tracks. Makes you feel foolish for liking them. Even if you agree with the notes writer that Prez is often not up to par, the other musicians on nearly every track are in great form. As I remember it, especially Sweets Edison.

I couldn't agree more!