What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Faust by F.W. Murnau (1926 silent film), with a soundtrack performed by the Willem Breuker Kollektief. I know nothing about film, but this movie looks pretty cheesy. The music, however, is excellent, and is beautifully in sync with the visuals. It is also subtitled in English, which is most helpful.

51ce83hT-VL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Missed this when it was recently broadcast so got the DVD. Watched the first three episodes (1900-1918) over the last three evenings.

Excellent popular history. Nice to know UK TV can be about more than "Strictly Come X-Factoring, Get Me Out Of Here".

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Just watched the last episode of The Wire. I'd have to say that the fifth and final season was quite good, overall, but not as good as the others due mainly to the length. Only 10 episodes instead of the usual 13. It felt rushed and left me feeling a little short-changed, although the last episode was particularly good. Nice that it was directed by my hero, Clark Johnson...I believe he also directed the first episode of the series, if my memory is not deceiving me. Nice symmetry in that.

Saw the 2nd part of the movie Edvard Munch, for more details go to the film thread and followed it up by watching McGuigan-Cruz a nice featherweight scrap that earned the fight of the year title in 1986.

lone_gunmen1.jpg

lone_gunmen1.jpg

Remember enjoying this series, if my memory stands correctly , they got canned real fast, how many shows does the series have and how many were broadcasted.

Saw the 2nd part of the movie Edvard Munch, for more details go to the film thread and followed it up by watching McGuigan-Cruz a nice featherweight scrap that earned the fight of the year title in 1986.

lone_gunmen1.jpg

Remember enjoying this series, if my memory stands correctly , they got canned real fast, how many shows does the series have and how many were broadcasted.

The disc set has little information about the series. Has twelve episodes that I think were all broadcast.

Here's the wikipedia entry:

The Lone Gunmen, a spin-off of the popular series The X-Files, was a television show that aired on FOX, featuring the characters of the same name. The show first aired in March 2001 and, despite good reviews, was canceled due to a drop in ratings.[1] The last episode aired in June 2001.

The debut of the show in March 2001, began with Byers' father faking his death to uncover a conspiracy to hijack an airliner. The Lone Gunmen try to get to the truth of his supposed death and uncover the conspiracy.

One retrospectively interesting aspect of this pilot episode is that the airliner has been hijacked (via remote control of the plane's autopilot) and, by the end, both Byers and his father have boarded the plane to try to stop the hijacking. Through the aid of the other Gunmen, they are able to regain control of the plane and just miss crashing into the World Trade Center with the airliner. This, of course, was before the actual 9/11 attack against the World Trade Center later that year. Astonishingly similar to the actual arguments made about 9/11 by "conspiracy theorists", the episode's plot indicates that the hijacking was committed as an act of voracity by a greedy American arms manufacturer to ultimately increase its weapons sales by invoking U.S. retaliation against a scapegoated anti-American extremist dictator.[2]

Their spin-off series involved investigating mostly corporate crime, aided (and sometimes hindered) by a mysterious thief named Yves Adele Harlow (Zuleikha Robinson). Despite fan loyalty, the show was ultimately canceled after 12 episodes. They return to The X-Files in the episode "Jump the Shark" in the show's ninth season where they were then killed off. They briefly reappeared in the series finale of The X-Files, as Mulder spoke to their ghosts.