Freddie Roach/Brown Sugar (Water)

sjarrell

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know myself. Just wanted to say how much Water continues to amaze and surprise. Like the BN days of old. Just got a chance to really drive around and LISTEN to their reissue of Jack McDuff's "Who Knows What Tommorrow's Gonna Bring." Amazing album. Love it. Jack plays a whole lot of great stuff on the LP, and the songs and players, production and arranging is all grade A. This is the type of record we won't see again. Organ w/arranging and hipness in a popular (for the time) song-syle. Still holds up very, very, very well. Love it. :D

Yes, Mike, that album gets panned here but I really like it too, and something we won't see again. Long live Water!

Don't know why it would get panned. A lot of good musicians making good music. I hear quality through and through. Can't play Cherokee forever and sell records. These guys were making a record for and of their time...and they made a great one imho. Jack's smokin' on this and isn't that the point of it all?

Okay. . . well. . . they screwed up.

Plain and simple.

They've done that before. Some of us waited a long time for DETS Volume 10!

I suspect they're gettin' a little get-back since I scored one of those under-$20 Jazztet Mosaics from them last year.

I think I can live with waiting. B-)

:P

I'm waiting too. And to think, I had placed an order with Dusty on Sunday for Vogue cds, had I known I would have included Brown Sugar too.

Lon,

I've made a habit of making an initial order with Dustygroove as a "please confirm w/me before shipping. Don't want to pay online." That way, they hold the order for a week to 10 days in order to hear back from you. Then, I add anything that comes up in the next few days to my initial order. When the week is coming to a close, I finalize the COMPLETE order with a credit card. This has saved me a LOT of extra shipping costs.

John B Posted on May 17 2005, 02:57 PM

Twisted Village is one of the places I miss most now that I no longer live in Boston.

Twisted Village is, indeed, a great place for all your avant-music needs. Once, a few years back, I walked in there to casually peruse their used bins, hoping to find one or two interesting things. Lo and behold, there, all at once, was every Ornette record I didn't have but wanted, along with numerous other amazing free jazz things, all for less than a ten spot each.

Whenever I see a trove like this I assume that someone died. I asked the owner if that was the case. "No," he said, "but he did move to Africa."

I spent about $300 there that week.

Has Brown Sugar been on CD before?  Do not plan on getting it, but would like to see a scan of the packaging job Water does.

So you wanna decorate your "burn"?

Got the original vinyl spinning at 33 1/2 at the moment, old buddy. I have zero burns, other than copies from my collection that I make for the car.

Just curious how Water's quality translates to CD.

Has Brown Sugar been on CD before?  Do not plan on getting it, but would like to see a scan of the packaging job Water does.

So you wanna decorate your "burn"?

Got the original vinyl spinning at 33 1/2 at the moment, old buddy. I have zero burns, other than copies from my collection that I make for the car.

Just curious how Water's quality translates to CD.

I guess THAT answered my question. :lol: