Legends of Acid Jazz

Soul Stream

This is one of the best series ever IMHO. Sure, many don't like the cover art, but I actually kind of do. Anyway I NEED MORE!!!!

They haven't put anymore out in forever. I've e-mailed many times, always with the "no plans" reply.

This stinks. I've got to have a few more in the near future. EVERY disc in the series is a winner. Some personal favs...the first Shirley Scott one (with the red cover), the Don Patterson/Booker Ervin and the Leon Spencer Jr.(dig that vest!)

Anybody down for a concerted e-mail campaign. ;)

I must say I am definitely in the camp that dislikes the cover art on these, but I agree the music is fantastic. I have been meaning to to get more but usually these are in the $18.99 range which often deters me.

I have a Charles Kynard, a Boogaloo Joe Jones, and an Idris Muhammad from this series and I like them all.

Edited by Noj

AB-SO-LUTELY!!! Perhaps my favorite series of all-time.

I suggested the following to Fantasy in the recent past, but got the "no plans at this time" reply, as well:

1) Trudy Pitts - The Excitement Of T.P./A Bucketful Of Soul

2) Byrdie Green - Sister Byrdie!/I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good) ... yeah, I know, she was a vocalist, but I think 'Hammond' Smith is on both of these dates.

3) Shirley Scott - Now's The Time/Sweet Soul (which was also released as Happy Talk, if I'm not mistaken)

Any or all of these would make me very happy! :g

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, here's what's available on EMusic.

Legends Of Acid Jazz | by Billy Butler

Legends Of Acid Jazz | by Don Patterson / Booker Ervin

Legends Of Acid Jazz | by Don Patterson / Booker Ervin / Houston Person

Legends Of Acid Jazz | by Gene Ammons

Legends Of Acid Jazz | by Houston Person

Legends Of Acid Jazz | by Johnny "Hammond" Smith

Legends Of Acid Jazz | by Leon Spencer

Legends Of Acid Jazz | by Melvin Sparks

Legends of Acid Jazz | by Red Holloway

Legends Of Acid Jazz | by Sonny Phillips

Legends Of Acid Jazz | by Trudy Pitts & Pat Martino

Legends Of Acid Jazz | by Willis Jackson

Legends Of Acid Jazz - Charles Kynard | by Charles Kynard

Legends of Acid Jazz - Jack McDuff | by Jack McDuff

Legends Of Acid Jazz - Richard "Groove" Holmes | by Richard "Groove" Holmes

Legends Of Acid Jazz - Shirley Scott | by Shirley Scott

Legends Of Acid Jazz Volume 2 | by Ivan Boogaloo Joe Jones

Legends Of Acid Jazz Volume 2 | by Rusty Bryant

Legends Of Acid Jazz: Bernard Purdie | by Bernard Purdie

Legends Of Acid Jazz: Boogaloo Joe Jones | by Ivan Boogaloo Joe Jones

Legends Of Acid Jazz: Idris Muhammad | by Idris Muhammad

Legends Of Acid Jazz: Rusty Bryant | by Rusty Bryant

Legends Of Acid Jazz: Sonny Stitt | by Sonny Stitt

Which ones should I get?

Just start with any of the artists listed which interest you. Generally speaking , each cd is a twofer - it containls two previously issued lps. If you have any Prestige lps by the above listed. check the tune listings or the back cover to determine which lps are being reissued.

I'm with the camp that love sthe music here, but was deterred by the hefty price Fantasy put on these.

Although the series seems to have ended. I have high hopes that the music contained therein will continue. A good example is the recent Eric Kloss 2-fer with Don Patterson and Groove Holmes. If the Legends of Acid Jazz were still going, that SURELY would have been one. Also, they've done some pretty recent (last year) great McDuff, ect. So....I really LOVE fantasy's reissue policy.

Although the series seems to have ended. I have high hopes that the music contained therein will continue. A good example is the recent Eric Kloss 2-fer with Don Patterson and Groove Holmes. If the Legends of Acid Jazz were still going, that SURELY would have been one. Also, they've done some pretty recent (last year) great McDuff, ect. So....I really LOVE fantasy's reissue policy.

I agree! Those Fantasy twofers are a great deal. I'm glad they're continuing that type of reissue. It would be really great if they did what Collectables has been doing and put the full size (cd size) cover image in the booklet.

I have to admit, I haven't purchased very many Fantasy cds in the last couple years. Since they put their stuff on emusic, I've been downloading their albums instead. It's a shame, though, because the their mp3s don't sound that great. I think having the mp3s available made me think the cds were less valuable. I spent the majority of my money on BN and their reissues. I am so grateful that BN acted the way they did. It has made me open my wallet up for other labels.

:rsmile: :D :rsmile: