Jackie McLean live gig story area

It's been great reading these memories of Jackie. I got to see him about seven times, and every one was a treasure.

I also wish Jackie had been more out there in the last 15 years (on record as well as in person), but I feel it is too early to discuss this.

I attended the funeral Friday (I guess I was the only organissimo person there). It was a very moving experience. I will post longer on this when I can get my thoughts collected - I don't want to rush it.

Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

I don't want to seem like a nudge here, but I'd really love to hear your thoughts on Jackie's funeral when you get the chance. I know how much you loved and respected Jackie (as so many of us here did), so your perspective would really be appreciated.

Cheers,

Shane

One of my greatest memories of seeing Jackie goes back to 1960 when he played Connolly’s Star Dust Room, at the corner of Tremont and Ruggles Streets, in the South End of Boston. Connolly’s was home to the likes of Coleman Hawkins, Dexter Gordon, Roland Kirk, Horace Silver and dozens of others when they played Boston. It also was the home base of “locals” like Sam Rivers and many others including Jimmy “Bottoms Up” Tyler.

Jackie had come to town as a “single,” working with a local rhythm section. He had never played with these musicians before this gig. During the set he kept turning around to watch and listen to the drummer, a young Bostonian. Jackie kept looking back and smiling, looking back and smiling, shaking his head and smiling. At one point he announced to us in the audience, “I’m gonna have to take this kid to New York with me!” The “kid” was Tony Williams. Jackie did later get Tony to come to New York City, with Tony’s parents permission, introduced him to Miles Davis, and the rest, as they say, is History.

Cripes, man. :lol: Great story!

One of my greatest memories of seeing Jackie goes back to 1960 when he played Connolly’s Star Dust Room, at the corner of Tremont and Ruggles Streets, in the South End of Boston. Connolly’s was home to the likes of Coleman Hawkins, Dexter Gordon, Roland Kirk, Horace Silver and dozens of others when they played Boston. It also was the home base of “locals” like Sam Rivers and many others including Jimmy “Bottoms Up” Tyler.

Jackie had come to town as a “single,” working with a local rhythm section. He had never played with these musicians before this gig. During the set he kept turning around to watch and listen to the drummer, a young Bostonian. Jackie kept looking back and smiling, looking back and smiling, shaking his head and smiling. At one point he announced to us in the audience, “I’m gonna have to take this kid to New York with me!” The “kid” was Tony Williams. Jackie did later get Tony to come to New York City, with Tony’s parents permission, introduced him to Miles Davis, and the rest, as they say, is History.

The only gig I ever got a chance to attend was (I guess) Jackie's last in NYC. It was at Iridium with Bobby Hutcherson and Grachan Moncur III. Rene McLean and drummer Eric McPherson. I don't remember the bassist or pianist's names but they seemed to be fairly young cats. I remember standing out front before the show and a family of tourists walked by and asked what was downstairs. I told them, "Jackie McLean, One of the world's few living jazz saxophone legends. It's your lucky night. I know you don't know who he is...but take a chance and see him. You'll thank me." Of course they just walked away. Guess they had to eat at McDonalds. Since I flew in from Texas for it, I remember being blown away that there wasn't a line around the building. Naive on my part I guess, but New Yorkers and the rest of the world are a spoiled bunch.

I remember when they played "Love & Hate", I just kept thinking how lucky I was to be here witnessing this. I never could have imagined I would have heard that tune live by Jackie, Bobby and Grachan and it did not disappoint! The whole gig was really an eye-opener. Jackie stopped one tune because it didn't feel right to him and made them start again. I had NEVER seen that...that made so much sense, and it really drove home how serious, serious, serious Jackie Mac was about his music. A lesson to be learned by us all. He had such a powerful presence on stage. And I've never heard someone with such power blow a saxophone. I've heard guys like Bob Berg live, which is probably as close to a Coltrane-type sax as I've heard. But you could tell there is a huge gap between people like Jackie and everyone else. Intensity compressed like a diamond.

What a wonderful night. Talking with Jackie, Doll & Grachan....man oh man. I'll never forget it.

Bitchin' story, dude. You know how much intensity went into his playing and life within three notes. I'm sorry I never caught him live, kicking myself. All those times in the Vanguard in recent years.....Ah, well, at least there are the recordings.

And I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but Like It Is w/Gil Noble (WABC TV, channel 7 here in NYC) replayed a great interview from last year, I believe. Gil and Jackie, two homies from kneepants days walking around the old 'hood (Sugar Hill, Harlem) and Jackie saying some incredibly wise things. He talked about the jazz life and people, of course, but also about how when Bird told him about the Rite of Spring he got off the bus, went to a music store, purchased it---and flipped f'ng out! He said 'this guy took rhythms from Africa, the Mideast, and melodies from Mars. That interview was deep.

They also had a long tribute on WKCR FM here in NY where they played archived interviews that were mind-blowing in their wisdom, concern for the world, and brutal, naked honesty.

The only gig I ever got a chance to attend was (I guess) Jackie's last in NYC. It was at Iridium with Bobby Hutcherson and Grachan Moncur III. Rene McLean and drummer Eric McPherson. I don't remember the bassist or pianist's names but they seemed to be fairly young cats. I remember standing out front before the show and a family of tourists walked by and asked what was downstairs. I told them, "Jackie McLean, One of the world's few living jazz saxophone legends. It's your lucky night. I know you don't know who he is...but take a chance and see him. You'll thank me." Of course they just walked away. Guess they had to eat at McDonalds. Since I flew in from Texas for it, I remember being blown away that there wasn't a line around the building. Naive on my part I guess, but New Yorkers and the rest of the world are a spoiled bunch.

I remember when they played "Love & Hate", I just kept thinking how lucky I was to be here witnessing this. I never could have imagined I would have heard that tune live by Jackie, Bobby and Grachan and it did not disappoint! The whole gig was really an eye-opener. Jackie stopped one tune because it didn't feel right to him and made them start again. I had NEVER seen that...that made so much sense, and it really drove home how serious, serious, serious Jackie Mac was about his music. A lesson to be learned by us all. He had such a powerful presence on stage. And I've never heard someone with such power blow a saxophone. I've heard guys like Bob Berg live, which is probably as close to a Coltrane-type sax as I've heard. But you could tell there is a huge gap between people like Jackie and everyone else. Intensity compressed like a diamond.

What a wonderful night. Talking with Jackie, Doll & Grachan....man oh man. I'll never forget it.

Bitchin' story, dude. You know how much intensity went into his playing and life within three notes. I'm sorry I never caught him live, kicking myself. All those times in the Vanguard in recent years.....Ah, well, at least there are the recordings.

And I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but Like It Is w/Gil Noble (WABC TV, channel 7 here in NYC) replayed a great interview from last year, I believe. Gil and Jackie, two homies from kneepants days walking around the old 'hood (Sugar Hill, Harlem) and Jackie saying some incredibly wise things. He talked about the jazz life and people, of course, but also about how when Bird told him about the Rite of Spring he got off the bus, went to a music store, purchased it---and flipped f'ng out! He said 'this guy took rhythms from Africa, the Mideast, and melodies from Mars. That interview was deep.

They also had a long tribute on WKCR FM here in NY where they played archived interviews that were mind-blowing in their wisdom, concern for the world, and brutal, naked honesty.

Saw Jackie only once, a mid-1980s reunion with Donald Byrd, in Detroit. Wish it had been recorded. Easy, relaxed gig, both men in fine form, if memory serves they had not worked together for quite some time. They kept playin' the dozens, some of the quips were hilarious, stuff like "Donald didn't learn how to tie his shoes until he came to New York" etc. Back and forth...you know Donald doesn't let someone else get in the last word...

• 9 months later...