BIRDLAND BOOK

Guest youmustbe

Guest youmustbe

I will be publishing a book with Jordi Pujol of Fresh Sound about the original Birdland.

The book will be photos, articles, memorabilia etc...

We hope to do it chronologically with as many never before seen photos, articles etc..

If you have a photo or newspaper article that you don't believe has been seen before, and wish to have it included,contact me.

I will be publishing a book with Jordi Pujol of Fresh Sound about the original Birdland.

We hope to do it chronologically with as many never before seen photos, articles etc..

If you have a photo or newspaper article that you don't believe has been seen before, and wish to have it included,contact me.

I would guess most newspaper articles have been seen before! ;)

m!

Will Almendra Music be the publisher, as for Jordi Pujol´s "Jazz en Barcelona 1920-1965" book? If so, and as your book will be mostly graphic material, I hope the quality of the paper and the definition of the photographs will be better!

On the other hand, "Jazz en Barcelona..." is a thoroughly researched and well documented book, essential to understand what was going on in the Spanish jazz scene (if we´d dare call it so!) during those years.

Well this is good news in that, youmustbe often seems to drop "inside" info but to my knowledge has never revealed his true identity. Looking forward to finding out who you are! (and the book, too) ;)

The Birdland book should be interesting if it deals not only with the music that was played there but with the career of the club owner Morris Levy! A fascinating character!

I guess that "fascinating" might be one way to describe his character. I'll bet that people who had dealings with him might describe him in other ways.

edited for spelling.

Edited by paul secor

The Birdland book should be interesting if it deals not only with the music that was played there but with the career of the club owner Morris Levy! A fascinating character!

I guess that "facinating" might be one way to describe his character. I'll bet that people who had dealings with him might describe him in other ways.

Paul, fully agree... but sharks can be pretty fascinating creatures too! :g

I guess that "facinating" might be one way to describe his character. I'll bet that people who had dealings with him might describe him in other ways.

Paul, fully agree... but sharks can be pretty fascinating creatures too! :g

Agreed - as long as you're not in the water with them.

Guest youmustbe

I don't believe very many people, certainly not those under 60! have seen articles on Birdland from the New York Mirror in 1959!

Or an article on Mo Levy from the magazine Tan Confessions.

What I meant was that it won't be just the obvious that always pops up.

It is very hard, and I speak as a photgrapher who sells photos to books, to get good 'quality' photo repros, unless it is a high priced book. Just the way it is.

My interviews with 238 and counting, people, many who have passed, musicians , fans, employees, re Birdland as well as Village, Uptown, Philly, Chicago clubs, will appear as part of a column I will be writing for a new web store that will go online later this year.

I don't believe very many people, certainly not those under 60! have seen articles on Birdland from the New York Mirror in 1959!

That was the New York Daily Mirror .

Or an article on Mo Levy from the magazine Tan Confessions.

Tan Confessions , Bronze Thrills , Copper Romance ....yes we're all familiar with those ...especially 50 year-old copies ;)

Seriously , it sounds as though you've thoroughly researched this . I asked several somewhat esoteric Birdland questions in a recent thread that I hope will be answered in this forthcoming book .

Guest youmustbe

Don't worry, I'll get to him.

BTW As Billy Taylor a/o have said, the place might have been Mob owned...but they didn't fuck with the music!!!

And, unlike Vanguard, Five Spot, Slugs et al... Birdland was not just a Jazz club, but a NITECLUB! Just like you saw in all those movies thru the 20's, 30's, 40's. 50's, ...until the Stones came to the Academy Of Music (later the Palladium, now an NYU dorm!) in 64...and I was there for that too! ('Heart Of Stone') and it all changed.

• 3 months later...

I have about 40 plus original birdland handbills in my collections plus a few photos of birdland from the front.I also have birdland menus,minimum cards,ashtrays,swizzle sticks and a program from sept 1949 before birdland opened.I also have a birdland menu signed by charlie parker,dizzy gillecpie and bob gerrity and a postcard that shows most of the interior of birdland,christmans cards and more.I would be willing to exchange scans with you.

Norman

Edited by YARDBIRDINC