Rome

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been meaning to rent this. It can be hard to get the 1st episode of such things, hence the delay. It took awhile for me to find someone who had also seen I, Claudius when hitting up folks for opinions. I wish nothing more for I, Claudius other then I wish more of my friends would take the time to see it, rather than saying "oh yeah, I should see that" and not following through. One of the finest things ever put of the small (or even big) screen.

I've never seen either. . . I've resisted I, Claudius because I love the two books so much. . . Graves really outdid even himself. Sometimes I don't WANT to see the filmed adaptations and ruin the movies in my head.

I can see that, Lon. I loved the TV series - they don't make 'em like that any more. I'd already read the books and there's no comparison. But I thought the way the series came over was better than excellent. I don't think they're incompatible. The books have all the thinking out in the open; on TV, you got the action and, if you'd read the books, you could fill in the underlying thinking. Really, I came to the conclusion that having read the books actually improved my enjoyment of the series.

Actually, it might be time to read them again. :)

MG

I've never seen either. . . I've resisted I, Claudius because I love the two books so much. . . Graves really outdid even himself. Sometimes I don't WANT to see the filmed adaptations and ruin the movies in my head.

I can see that, Lon. I loved the TV series - they don't make 'em like that any more. I'd already read the books and there's no comparison. But I thought the way the series came over was better than excellent. I don't think they're incompatible. The books have all the thinking out in the open; on TV, you got the action and, if you'd read the books, you could fill in the underlying thinking. Really, I came to the conclusion that having read the books actually improved my enjoyment of the series.

Well said. And honestly, Derek Jacobi as Claudius and John Hurt's Caligula are my favorite performances by those 2 wonderfull actors. And Hurt has had a lot of weird & interesting roles in his lifetime. :) I always point out to female Trekkies that you get to see Patrick Stewart's legs, as so many swoon over the guy. :lol:

It's on a very short list where I love the movie (or mini-series) and the book both. At the moment To Kill A Mockingbird is the only other entry on that list, though I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

To those who do give the DVDs or tapes a whirl, please make an effort to at least watch it until the 3rd episode or so, as it may start a little bit slow for some. You'll be rewarded. Not that review votes on IMDB are that meaningful, but when you do the math(s) it is very impressive for anything to average a 9.4.

G

That's an excellent idea as it was so long ago for me. I should move it from the stacks to the "to read" pile, assuming that pile can handle another book without toppling over.

Oops, sorry Guy, I forgot what thread I was in. I guess I have to rent Rome first! :lol:

Well said. And honestly, Derek Jacobi as Claudius and John Hurt's Caligula are my favorite performances by those 2 wonderfull actors. And Hurt has had a lot of weird & interesting roles in his lifetime. :) I always point out to female Trekkies that you get to see Patrick Stewart's legs, as so many swoon over the guy. :lol:

It's on a very short list where I love the movie (or mini-series) and the book both. At the moment To Kill A Mockingbird is the only other entry on that list, though I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

To those who do give the DVDs or tapes a whirl, please make an effort to at least watch it until the 3rd episode or so, as it may start a little bit slow for some. You'll be rewarded. Not that review votes on IMDB are that meaningful, but when you do the math(s) it is very impressive for anything to average a 9.4.

G

That's an excellent idea as it was so long ago for me. I should move it from the stacks to the "to read" pile, assuming that pile can handle another book without toppling over.

Oops, sorry Guy, I forgot what thread I was in. I guess I have to rent Rome first! :lol:

Oh yes! What's with "Rome" please? I don't watch much TV but my interest has been piqued.

MG

Oh yes! What's with "Rome" please? I don't watch much TV but my interest has been piqued.

MG

It covers the period from 52 BC - 44 BC -- from the end of Julius Caesar's campaigns in Gaul to ... (I won't ruin the ending, but it's pretty common knowledge how the first season ends.) Main characters include Caesar, Pompey the Great, Marc Antony, Octavian, Cato, Cicero, Brutus, etc. Also two "commoner" soldiers who happen to get mixed up in these world-shaking events.

Supposedly there will be a second and final season, covering the period 44 BC - 30 BC.

Guy

MG

It covers the period from 52 BC - 44 BC -- from the end of Julius Caesar's campaigns in Gaul to ... (I won't ruin the ending, but it's pretty common knowledge how the first season ends.) Main characters include Caesar, Pompey the Great, Marc Antony, Octavian, Cato, Cicero, Brutus, etc. Also two "commoner" soldiers who happen to get mixed up in these world-shaking events.

Supposedly there will be a second and final season, covering the period 44 BC - 30 BC.

Guy

Ah, it's being shown on US TV now - so, unless it's a British production (is it?) I guess we wont see it over here for a while.

MG

Ah, it's being shown on US TV now - so, unless it's a British production (is it?) I guess we wont see it over here for a while.

MG

I'm watching it on DVD. It's a joint BBC/HBO production.

Guy

Thanks Guy - I'll see what I can find out.

MG

It has been on TV here and it might be being repeated.

Edited by David Ayers

MG

I'm watching it on DVD. It's a joint BBC/HBO production.

Guy

Thanks Guy - I'll see what I can find out.

MG

It has been on TV here and it might be being repeated.

Thanks David - I'll keep a look out.

MG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hmm, download you say?

I ended up greatly enjoying season 1 of Rome. I've read this will be the last season for the series so they're letting it all hang out. Oh well, at least we have the history books so we know how it all turns out for the biggies. :lol:

Now debating whether to hunt & peck for a download or be patient and wait till next year (or later this year) for the DVD.

• 2 weeks later...

The seeds of the break between Octavian and Mark Antony are sown. I wonder when Cicero will turn on Antony (and face his undoing).

I got a real laugh out of Cicero and Servilia's conversation. The guy is a consummate politician... "Tell your son that I... no, not I... his friends in Rome... uh... look forward to seeing him again... at some point... in the near... future."

Nice to see that they will be bringing the great general and architect Marcus V Agrippa into the show.

Octavia is a babe!

Guy

Edited by Guy

Octavia is a babe!

Did you watch one of the extra features that came with season one? The actress is from Tipperary. Let's just say it'd be a whole 'nother vibe if she used her real voice in the role. :lol:

Looks like I'll wait to watch when it comes out on DVD.

Octavia is a babe!

Did you watch one of the extra features that came with season one? The actress is from Tipperary. Let's just say it'd be a whole 'nother vibe if she used her real voice in the role. :lol:

What/where is Tipperary?

Guy

Octavia is a babe!

What/where is Tipperary?

It's a long way to ...

Ireland lad, Ireland. She has a nice thick Irish brogue she has.

Octavia is a babe!

What/where is Tipperary?

It's a long way to ...

I heard that the song is actually about a pub in london called 'The Tipperary' that was popular during WW11.

Octavia is a babe!

What/where is Tipperary?

It's a long way to ...

I heard that the song is actually about a pub in london called 'The Tipperary' that was popular during WW11.

Ah, whadya know! Which isn't that long a ways from Ireland at least in terms of miles. ;)

Regarding English accents and Rome, think Shakespeare. In high school we were treated to Marlon Brando as Marc Antony in this version of JC.

You know that Octavia is going to marry Marc Antony, right?

About the British accents, this time for once I think that works nicely because they're not all upper crust British accents; rather, the accents high and low are carefully parcelled out on that basis. Given that kind of care, the parallel between Roman Empire/British Empire seems just right to me. I particularly like the Kipling-esque bond that unites Pullo to Verenus. Or would you prefer they speak Latin?