Looking for some oud help...

Jazzmoose

Is that how it's spelled? You know, the Greek instrument. Anyway, listening to an off the wall college station (which I can no longer pick up, damn it!) a few years back, I heard something that just blew me away, called the DJ and was told it was some Greek artist playing an oud. I think. Does anyone out there know of any such music and perhaps a name or two they can recommend?

Here's a link to a webpage about the oud

Oud page

I'm wondering if you're looking for music of the bouzouki. The bouzouki is a greek instrument. The oud is a middle eastern lute type instrument. I've also seen it spelled as ud.

I have a few records at home that feature these instruments. I found them inexpensively in used record stores. I prefer the oud to the bouzouki. Whenever I hear bouzouki music, I think of Zorba the Greek.

Good luck.

Mark,

The Oud is definitely not an istrument played in Greek music. There you can find the bouzouki and the turkish Baglama. Both doesn't sound anything like the Oud.

Oud is one of my favorite instruments. You usually can find the Oud in an Arab music context.

However, if you're interested is something more "communicative" and captivating I would recommend either Anouar Brahem or Rabih Abou-Khalil.

A few recommendation of Brahem's CDs: for something more traditional try "Barzakh" or "Askrakan Cafe" (with a haunting Turkish Clarinet); for something more adventerous/world fusion try "Le Pas du Chat Noir" or "Thimar" (w/John Surman & Dave Holland)

Of Abou-Khalil's CD I would recommend ", "Nafas" and "Tarab" for a more traditional recordings and "Between Dusk and Dawn" and "Cactus of Knowledge" for a more Jazzy recordings.

In addition you can try Ahmed Abdul-Malik's sessions that try to combine Arab music and Jazz "Jazz Sahara" and "East Meets West" with some amount of success.

If you're interested (and have a fast internet) - I can send you a track or two to appreciate the sound and the music.

Barak

mswbarak@hotmail.com

In addition you can try Ahmed Abdul-Malik's sessions that try to combine Arab music and Jazz "Jazz Sahara" and "East Meets West" with some amount of success.

Indeed - I've got the RCA, and it has some relatively "straight" Arabic material on it which for me comes of much better than the attempts at fusing the jazz with the other.

Back in the day, you could go down to a decent metro record store and drop a fin on a Nonsuch Explorer Series LP and be well on your way towards a bit of basic knowledge. Not these days...

It is a beautiful instrument.

Back in the day, you could go down to a decent metro record store and drop a fin on a Nonsuch Explorer Series LP and be well on your way towards a bit of basic knowledge. Not these days...

Haven't they recently re-released that entire series? I just picked up two African compilations not long ago.

Jazzmoose, I mentioned Hamza El Din on the other thread, but it bears repeated mention: he is a master. Totally captivating music.

Haven't they recently re-released that entire series?

I honestly don't know about the ENTIRE Explorer series, that was a pretty large catalog (or at least it seemed to be to a neophyte back then). I know they just reissued some of the African stuff (one with Charles Earland playing tenor!), but the Explorer Series covered a lot more than African musics, LOTS more.

And good luck finding 'em for a fin! ;)

Let me add my support for Brahem and Rabih Abou-Khalil. The latter has produced a string of gorgeous albums on Enja (with beautiful covers), putting the oud into settings with all manner of instruments.

If you want to hear the oud unaccompanied try his most recent disc 'Il sospiro.' One for hot, sultry afternoons!

And a HUGE recommendation for Alan's last choice, Charmediterranean - one of my favourite discs of 2002. This is what I like jazz orchestration to sound like!

And a HUGE recommendation for Alan's last choice, Charmediterranean - one of my favourite discs of 2002. This is what I like jazz orchestration to sound like!

Yes, and I like the fact that it's a bit different than the "usual" jazz orchestrations.

Edited by alankin