Buddy Collette- Polenesyia (sic)

Where? How?

I put it on a "notify me when" list on ebay, and after a while a vinyl copy came up for auction. It was surprisingly quick, as I recall. I could not find any CD reissue of the album.

Broadcasts of the radio show on which I heard a cut from the album may be accessed at www.kpr.ku.edu/retro/

I have discovered several interesting 1950s jazz albums from listening to that show, the Retro Cocktail Hour, with the unique and very knowledgable Darrell Brogden.

Edited by Hot Ptah

FWIW -

Taboo

Flight (Marni Nixon-Soprano Voice)

Gauguin (Marni Nixon-Soprano Voice)

Singapore Sling

Polynesian Suite:

Tennin, Barbarian, Mistress,

Anchorage, Corpse, Sleeping Gypsy

Room with Skies

Japanese Suite:

Sakura Sakura, Tanagra, Katmandou

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The track list given is in error. There are only 6 tracks. There's no track entitled "Room with Skies."

And just to make it all a little weirder, here are some excerpts from the IMDB bio of second side narrator Robert Sorrels:

Grizzled, rangy, goateed, silver-haired Hollywood cowboy character actor of the 1960s and '70s who played numerous gunslinger types on film (A Man Called Gannon (1968), Ride to Hangman's Tree (1967)) and TV ("Bonanza" (1959), "Rawhide" (1959)).

A bizarre recluse who suffered from a drinking problem in later years, he walked into a Simi Valley bar on July 24, 2004, and shot two customers -- one fatally. He was caught three blocks away by police and arrested for murder.

A devotee of yogi exercise and a vegetarian, he professed to believe in non-violence until his sudden murder spree.

He was sentenced to 32 years to life in prison.

Mr. Sorrels:

robert-sorrells-2.jpg

Edited by Al in NYC

• 13 years later...

In case you are not aware, this has been reissued on CD as part of an excellent collection on the El/Cherry Red, titled Exotica Classics.  Five LPs spread over two discs.  

The gems are Polynesia, Frank Hunter's White Goddess, and Miriam Burton's African Lament.

Regarding Polynesia, the gems are the two suites on side 2, "Polynesian Suite" and "Japanese Suite," with recitations by Robert Sorrels.  

https://www.amazon.com/Exotica-Classics-Various-Artists-Collette/dp/B00PO5H8EM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=exotica+classics&qid=1621790865&sr=8-3