Sports: NBA 2007-2008

The last thread disappeared.

What did you guys think about the draft?

The Warriors traded Jason Richardson for Brandan Wright -- could be a big improvement, but until we know what Wright is capable of it's too early to judge. On the plus side JRich is going to Charlotte so I'll be able to root for him next season.

Last night I dreamed that I was arguing with Bill Simmons about the draft.

Guy

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lakers draft wasn't so thrilling. The Chinese PG they drafted is 6'9", that's intriguing.

I'm interested to see if Grant Hill will sign with Phoenix. It would be great if they could win a title with him in the mix, he's almost as deserving as Michael Finley was.

I liked the Hawk's draft with Al Horford and Acie Law. I don't know much about the rest of their current team, but I think those two guys will be good players for them to build around.

Atlanta now has a pretty good core, especially since they're in the east. Horford, Josh Smith, Joe Johnson. Zaza Pachulia and Josh Childress are solid players as well. If Law pans out he could fill their weakness at PG. (John Hollinger picks him to be a bust, and says he should have been a very late 1st round pick.)

I was very surprised that the Raptors signed Jason Kapono to a 4 year, $24M contract. That's a lot to pay for such a limited player.

Guy

Edited by Guy

The Lakers draft wasn't so thrilling. The Chinese PG they drafted is 6'9", that's intriguing.

I'm interested to see if Grant Hill will sign with Phoenix. It would be great if they could win a title with him in the mix, he's almost as deserving as Michael Finley was.

The Lakers drafted the guy i wanted to suns to draft (Javaris Crittenton). He's young but can play and will be a steady contributor in a few years imo.

Grant Hill will probably be coming back to the Pistons. I don't think they'll have a problem re-signing Billups, either. But I have serious doubts whether they will ever be able to contend for a title with Saunders at the helm. Anybody who gets schooled by Mike Brown is in a whole heap of trouble.

Lakers just spent $30M ($30M!!!) to re-sign Luke Walton. I don't think he's worth that.

It's a six year deal, so he's not being ridiculously overpaid. That said, his production is completely replaceable by a much cheaper player, and his "career year" was average at best.

Guy

The big thing that Walton brings to the table is passing ability. The offense hit the skids last year the moment Luke went down with an injury. That said, he isn't the greatest defender and given his bloodline durability is a concern. Luke is renowned for his character and integrity which will hopefully rub off on Kobe. He's a winner.

The big thing that Walton brings to the table is passing ability. The offense hit the skids last year the moment Luke went down with an injury. That said, he isn't the greatest defender and given his bloodline durability is a concern. Luke is renowned for his character and integrity which will hopefully rub off on Kobe. He's a winner.

Nice wishful thinking, but I can't imagine that Kobe will have any interest in anything that Luke Walton does or says. Kobe's in Kobe-World.

The more I think about it, $5M is a lot to pay for a guy that would AT BEST be a 4th option on a championship contender. But maybe that's what it takes in the NBA.

It's what it takes. A few other SF types, some better matches than others:

Dunleavy - 8.2

Turkoglu - 6.4

Hapring - 6.0

Brian Cardenal - 5.8

Battier - 5.8

Lakers who are being paid more:

Kobe - 19.5

Odom - 13.5

Kwame - 9.1

Radmanovic - 5.6

I think the salaries of the 2 in front of him are far more outrageous than what Luke will be pulling down, though Kwame got his for being the top pick (along with being very tall.)

More NBA salary info here.

The more I think about it, $5M is a lot to pay for a guy that would AT BEST be a 4th option on a championship contender. But maybe that's what it takes in the NBA.

Dunleavy - 8.2

Turkoglu - 6.4

Hapring - 6.0

Brian Cardenal - 5.8

Battier - 5.8

So Luke Walton is not the only overpaid role player in the NBA. :)

Kobe - 19.5

Odom - 13.5

Kwame - 9.1

Radmanovic - 5.6

I think the salaries of the 2 in front of him are far more outrageous than what Luke will be pulling down, though Kwame got his for being the top pick (along with being very tall.)

I don't think Kwame is still on his rookie contract -- he's been in the league for 6 years.

Anyway, previous worse decisions by the Lakers' management don't excuse this bad one.

Guy

Dunleavy - 8.2

Turkoglu - 6.4

Hapring - 6.0

Brian Cardenal - 5.8

Battier - 5.8

Kobe - 19.5

Odom - 13.5

Kwame - 9.1

Radmanovic - 5.6

More NBA salary info here.

Freakin' Brian Cardenal makes that much? :lol:

Dunleavy - 8.2

Turkoglu - 6.4

Hapring - 6.0

Brian Cardenal - 5.8

He had a very good season with the Warriors a few years back and finagled a nice contract out of it. Since then he's accomplished zilch.

My impression from following the Warriors is that players like Walton, Cardinal and Matt Barnes are very replaceable if your team is run competently. There's no reason to pay them more than 1 or 2 M, and there's always a sucker who will pay more than that.

Guy

Edited by Guy

Dunleavy - 8.2

Turkoglu - 6.4

Hapring - 6.0

Brian Cardenal - 5.8

He had a very good season with the Warriors a few years back and finagled a nice contract out of it. Since then he's accomplished zilch.

My impression from following the Warriors is that players like Walton, Cardinal and Matt Barnes are very replaceable if your team is run competently. There's no reason to pay them more than 1 or 2 M, and there's always a sucker who will pay more than that.

Guy

I remember the season too, but what the hell happened to him? Is he still on the Warriors?

Re. Cardinal - I remember the season too, but what the hell happened to him? Is he still on the Warriors?

Long distance information give me Memphis Tennessee...

I was surprised to see that crazy Stephen Jackson was "only" making 6 mill & change. He'll need every penny!

The Lakers have never had anybody who could guard Rashard well, he can definitely shoot the ball. Howard draws attention in the middle. They'll make for a tough tandem on offense.

I'll go on a limb here and predict that, barring another major addition of talent, this team will not make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs for the duration of Lewis's contract.

Guy