What CD's Did You Get For Christmas, 2007?

AndrewHill

mike nock-between and beyond

ak, I'm a big Mike Nock fan, but I've never seen that one. Let us know what you think of it!

ga, i have it on scratchy vinyl already...it is a trio session from 1970? 1971? the fourth way rhythm section, basically. mclure is on ebass the whole time. nock is half on acoustic, half on epiano. a few spacy funky-ish tracks, a few more jazz-sounding but still spacy and only one song that is a bit out. i wonder if i will hear it as less spacy with CD remastering as opposed to my scratchy and muffled LP.

I loved The Fourth Way at the time! I had all three of their albums. In fact, their second album (The Sun and Moon Will Rise Together) was the second cassette I bought (1969 as I recall). I guess I'll have to look for this. Thanks.

Edited by GA Russell

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do not celebrate your holiday, yet i won a fair amount of money gambling this weekend and purchased via dustygroove these compact discs-

ahmad jamal-live at oil can harry's

hal galper-guerilla band

mike nock-between and beyond

randy weston-blue moses

jack mcduff-the heatin' system

o'donel levy-windows

george duke-feel

johnny hammond smith-wild horses rock steady

luis gasca-luis gasca

john betsch-earth blossom

shelly manne-2 3 4

bill mason/gary chandler-eastbound two-fer

barry miles-white heat

there is more jazz from my favorite years being released these days, it seems. i am heartened.

Nice Haul :excited:

Art Pepper - Mosaic Select :tup

Skid, what is on that one besides the three Aladdin LPs? Are there any alternate takes?

I ask because I have the CD of the second Aladdin LP which has alternate takes (I think) from the first LP; and although I like it a lot, I don't feel like springing soon for a Select of which I already own a third.

I'm not sure, but I think all of the alternate takes on this set are also on the CDs of the Aladdin LPs.

Disc two contains five selections from Bill Perkin's Just Friends.

j08422osz2c.jpg

Track listings here. This is all new to me, so I'm glad to have it.

Edited by Uncle Skid

Ray Charles - Genius + Soul = Jazz/My Kind Of Jazz - Didn't notice My Kind Of Jazz had Clifford Scott on it! That made my freakin year!

I recall mentioning this in the Clifford Scott thread I think. Also Andy Ennis, who is on the Bill Doggett album "Wow!" - he takes the solo on "Booty butt".

I didn't realise you could get those two on one CD. May consider upgrading my LPs.

MG

Yeah, you did MG! And when i was reading the booklet it all came rushing back to me in an endless joy. :) And the 2fer is available on rhino.

I order my own Christmas CDs about a month ahead of time, my wife is kind enough to wrap them and I wait until Christmas...kind of goofy, i guess, but it works for me. Andrew HIll Select (#16-wonderful music, I really really love the strings session) and a few odds and ends from Concord: Don Elliot, Don Freidman (Metamorphosis), and Bill Smith (Folk Jazz, a surprisingly nice session, featuring Jim Hall).