Favorite Philip K. Dick novel?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After putting it off for years, I've finally completed reading my first Philip K Dick novel, "UBIK". Absolutely loved it. What a mind trip! I'm looking forward to exploring more of his work.

Thanks to jazzbo and the rest of you who contributed to this thread....it played a huge part in pushing me to finally pick up one of his books. I'm so glad I did.

Just ordered Ubik online from my local public library on your recommendation :)

I did just buy several of Philip K. Dick's books some days ago before I saw this thread. And then this showed up, what a timing. :)

Read some of his short stories some time ago, great stuff. Thought I would check up on some of the novels too like: "Ubik" and "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?".

His bibliography:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibliography_of_Philip_K._Dick

• 2 months later...

I just finished "Time Out of Joint" and really liked it. While not as profound for me as "Ubik" I found this one to be funner to read, and am now thinking about exploring some of his other earlier novels. Any favorites from the pre - "Time Out of Joint" period?

Clans of the Alphane Moon.

I actually placed a book order from amazon a couple days ago, and this is one that I ordered! I'm pretty psyched to read it. However, I think this one was written a bit later (mid 60s I think?).

Edited by sal

"Voices from the Street," "Eye in the Sky" and "Solar Lottery," are my favorites of the early ones. . . .Several of the other mainstream novels like "Voices" were written in part before Time Out of Joint I believe. . . and I like them ALL.

Edited by jazzbo

• 4 weeks later...

I think he was trying to write the "Ultimate Truth," as he saw it or felt it was revealed to him, in the Exegesis and in Valis, The Divine Invasion, and The Transformation of Timothy Archer (maybe).

The sad thing is that those novels were written after he kind of went off his rocker.

I think he was trying to write the "Ultimate Truth," as he saw it or felt it was revealed to him, in the Exegesis and in Valis, The Divine Invasion, and The Transformation of Timothy Archer (maybe).

The sad thing is that those novels were written after he kind of went off his rocker.

Well, I don't really consider that he "went off his rocker." Something happened to him, yes. And he became obsessed with defining and describing that. He went deeply into gnosis and mystic realms as well as hard science realms (in the sense of positing alien intelligence and communication, parallel time frames past/present/future, etc.) I'm personally not certain that hew was "insane." I've gone down some of these roads of trying to find the answer to immensely difficult questions myself, in the eighties, and it made me very different from those around me. But I was not insane. I'm not going to point a finger in his direction either.

Those novels, VALIS, Radio Free Albemuth, The Divine Invasion, the Transformation of Timothy Archer (which is fascinating if you read about Bishop Pike, who Phil knew well) are very interesting books that I get more out of each time I pick them up.

Well, I've read as much of the material from this time as has been released, hundreds of pages. Phil was a habitual speculator and didn't dismiss anything and pursued thinking things many would consider a waste of time. He did at one time think he may have been experiencing voices within his head, even speaking languages he did not understand and had not learned. This to explain information that seemed to just pop into his brain, or as he speculated was placed there somehow.

Personally I don't think he was insane, it's just my educated estimation. Think what you will! But I'd invite you to read the material, the novels, the letters before making a final judgment.

Well, I've read as much of the material from this time as has been released, hundreds of pages. Phil was a habitual speculator and didn't dismiss anything and pursued thinking things many would consider a waste of time. He did at one time think he may have been experiencing voices within his head, even speaking languages he did not understand and had not learned. This to explain information that seemed to just pop into his brain, or as he speculated was placed there somehow.

Personally I don't think he was insane, it's just my educated estimation. Think what you will! But I'd invite you to read the material, the novels, the letters before making a final judgment.

I'm not sure WHAT to think!

That's okay. I lived eighteen years with a wife who was clinically diagnosed as insane and was on four psychiatric medicines. Neither she nor I believed Phil to be insane. I say read the stuff and make an educated decision. I did and decided that he was not "off his rocker." Of course that may all depend on how that is defined. Anyway, enough about it I guess.

• 1 month later...

I recently finished reading "Confessions of a Crap Artist", a novel I noticed was mentioned a few times earlier in this thread. This was my favorite Philip K Dick read so far! Its a story that will probably be relavant for as long as humans continue to populate the earth. I loved it!