The Jazz Hits

Jazzjet

As I think on this, it seems to me that Ray Bryant's "Little Susie" made a bigger impression than "Shake A Lady", but maybe it was more of an LP hit than a single.

I'm not that familiar with either. FWIW, I just was looking at The Poll Winners Exploring the Scene (quite a nice record), which is supposed to be the trio exploring jazz "hits," and the first track is Bryant's "Little Susie."

• 2 weeks later...

David Rose/Andre Previn - Like young made #22 on the R&B chart and #46 on the pop chart in 1959.

Strange compilation.

Odd to have Herbie's "Watermelon man" rather than Mongo's, and not to have "Chameleon" or "Rockit".

Odd to have Mongo's "Yeh yeh" rather than Georgie Fame's.

Strange to have no "Mister Magic" from Grover Washington. Nor neither "Gimme some more" or "Pass the peas" by Fred Wesley & ther JBs. Nor JB's "Night train" (nor Jimmy Forrest's for that matter), "Honky tonk", "Aint it funky now" etc etc, nor any Bill Doggett hits. Ernie Freeman, who's rarely mentioned, except by Chris & me, had a #4 hit with "Raunchy". Also MIA are John Handy's "Hard work", and Eddie Harris' "Listen here" (OK, so "Exodus" is his ration?) Also missing are Ray Charles' "Rockhouse", "One mint julep" and "Booty butt" (oh, only the R&B chart for the last). Jack McDuff's "Theme from electric surfboard" also made the pop charts. Oh, and Rusty Bryant's "All night long" was on them, too. And Hugh Masekela's "Grazin' in the grass" (#1). Harold Betters' "Do anything you wanna" was a great cut that the Ace folks really ought to know about and surely would have put in. Oh, Quincy Jones anyone? "Killer Joe" and "Money runner" were both hits. And King Curtis? Kool & the Gang's early singles? Chuck Mangione's "Feels so good". Herbie Mann's "Memphis underground", "Supermann" or "Hijack"? Wes Montgomery had a pop hit with "Windy". And, as noted in another thread, George Benson had a few - some were jazz records. Oh, I nearly forgot - Phil Upchurch's "You can't sit down".

Oh, and what's wrong with Kenny Ball's "Midnight in Moscow" and Chris Barber's "Petite fleur"?

And Coleman Hawkins' "Body & soul" made #13 on the pop charts.

(But they've also missed Kenny G's "Songbird")

MG

It says 1958-1966.

Don't all your suggestions fall out of their time range?

Ah, I didn't notice the time frame. A lot of my suggestions fell outside that period, but these ones didn't.

Mongo Santamaria "Watermelon man"

Bill Doggett - only "Hold it" and "You can't sit down" were pop hits as far as I know in this period.

Ray Charles' "Rockhouse", "One mint julep"

Harold Betters' "Do anything you wanna"

Phil Upchurch's "You can't sit down"

Kenny Ball's "Midnight in Moscow" and

Chris Barber's "Petite fleur"

MG

As I think on this, it seems to me that Ray Bryant's "Little Susie" made a bigger impression than "Shake A Lady", but maybe it was more of an LP hit than a single.

I'm not that familiar with either. FWIW, I just was looking at The Poll Winners Exploring the Scene (quite a nice record), which is supposed to be the trio exploring jazz "hits," and the first track is Bryant's "Little Susie."

Little Susie pt 4 on Signature made #12 on the R&B chart, but didn't make the pop chart. Ray's big pop hit was "The Madison time" on Columbia, with Buddy Tate on tenor. But that has a vocal by someone calling out the steps, so probably wouldn't have been included for that reason. (Incidentally, the other version of the tune, by Al Brown's Tunetoppers on Amy, had Al Sears on sax.)

Ray also had an R&B hit with "Sack of woe" on Columbia. Again, no pop chart entry.

Ray's hit albums were

Gotta travel on - Cadet 1966 (#5 R&B, 111 Pop)

Slow freight - Cadet 1967 (#18 R&B, 193 Pop)

MG