What are you listening to on Lala, Spotify, last.fm and Deezer?

A Lark Ascending

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can sidetrack for a second, I'm vacationing in the EU and, being the dork that I am, decided to sign up for Spotify. Wow. I know the term "game changer" is thrown around, but this app is the closest I've seen to a real live game changer. I spent the afternoon listening with my Shure SE530 buds and Headroom amp, which is a very good setup, and the quality was near CD. Only once in a blue moon did I get the tell tale lossy audio sound. The streaming hiccuped a few times, but I'd chalk that up to hotel wireless, not their fault. The selection was most impressive and only once in a while I got a little Spotify jingle tune. If this ever makes it to the US and if they come up with either an iPhone app or a Squeezebox plug in, I'm going to be in heaven.

By comparison, I signed up for Lala a few weeks ago. The selection is pretty good, the quality is so-so and the listen once or pay for a web listening license stuff is for the birds! I'd gladly take a little advertising once an hour for the ability to listen as much as I want and, most importantly, better sound quality. Lala won't stand a chance if Spotify makes the trip over. Not a chance.

If the labels have any sense left, they'll get sorted what they need to and make Spotify happen large scale. If they are so concerned about people "stealing" the music, Spotify makes things so easy, it just isn't worthwhile to mess with torrents or what have you. Aside from having access to music on the go, I really can't think of too much to complain about with what I've seen of the service. I'm really going to miss it when I get home.

And, to answer the question at hand, I was listening to some Dave Brubeck, Art Tatum, Benny Goodman, Elvin Jones, Eddie Harris, Wu Tang Clan and Poor Righteous Teachers. Kind of an eclectic playlist for a lazy afternoon.

Edited by Captain Wrong

All I can say is THANK GOODNESS FOR LALA!  Some free and guilt-free online music listening is a damn nice thing to have in this screwed economy.  

Ditto re spotify, deezer and last.fm for us Yurpeans! :)

thirded, together with changing form cigarettes to filter cigarillos these sites have helped me really much in cutting back my every day expenses without losing much comfort if any... (actually i am still amazed i have so much music so easily available, some days i must admit i just play 30 seconds of one album then go on to the next... but i am learning more discipline :-) )

i know spotify and deezer aren't, is last.fm available in the US? concerning web design (notably the playback function) and unavailability of listed stuff this is by far the worst of these sites but it has lots of things in its catalogue which the other sites don't have...

read somewhere that these sites are just a way for the music industry to press money out of venture capital funds and that these sites can never be profitable... don't really care, happy as long as they're around...

Now Playing: Ronnie Boykins - The Will Come, Is Now (lastfm)

great one!

Edited by Niko