What are you listening to on Lala, Spotify, last.fm and Deezer?

A Lark Ascending

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good example of the uses of Spotify. I was reading today's Jazzwax post by Marc Myers on the little-known (at least to me!) arranger, George Handy, when it occurred to me to check him out on Spotify. Instantly I had the Boyd Raeburn orchestra playing Handy's intriguingly-titled "Boyd Meets Stravinsky" and "Tonsillectomy". :tup

Edited by BillF

Sometimes strangely hit and miss. Of the BN 10" Conns, the McGhees and Frank Foster are there, the Salvador, Melle and Watkins not. Of the PJ Conns, Baker, Mulligan/Baker, Brookmeyer, Shank/Cooper, Anderza, Edwards - all there; rest not.

No complaints - it's good that these hard-to-find titles are there!

Sometimes strangely hit and miss. Of the BN 10" Conns, the McGhees and Frank Foster are there, the Salvador, Melle and Watkins not. Of the PJ Conns, Baker, Mulligan/Baker, Brookmeyer, Shank/Cooper, Anderza, Edwards - all there; rest not.

No complaints - it's good that these hard-to-find titles are there!

Thanks for the info. I must get round to some of those - in time! (Iwas astounded by the sheer volume of Sonny Rollins albums available!)

George Coleman, Blues Inside Out

Recorded at Ronnie Scott's in 1997 with Peter King, Julian Joseph, Dave Green and Mark Taylor. If only those American visitors of my youth had had British backing groups like this one!

Several of those Ronnie Scott recordings floating around:

Ronnie Scott with Sonny Stitt, The Night has a Thousand Eyes, from 1964 - three mega-long tracks!

Benny Golson, Three Little Words, with house rhythm section, flawed single mic recording, good Golson on standards

Peter King Quintet, Speed Trap, with Gerard Presencer - more recent this: I was there!

and more if I can find them...

George Coleman, Blues Inside Out

Recorded at Ronnie Scott's in 1997 with Peter King, Julian Joseph, Dave Green and Mark Taylor. If only those American visitors of my youth had had British backing groups like this one!

Several of those Ronnie Scott recordings floating around:

Ronnie Scott with Sonny Stitt, The Night has a Thousand Eyes, from 1964 - three mega-long tracks!

Benny Golson, Three Little Words, with house rhythm section, flawed single mic recording, good Golson on standards

Peter King Quintet, Speed Trap, with Gerard Presencer - more recent this: I was there!

and more if I can find them...

Thanks! I'm making a list! :tup

Here's my list so far: http://open.spotify.com/user/davidayers/pl...y9p3D2UfHLANSZM

I included anthologies as they often have tracks from albums I can't find (Wes Montgomery etc.) I don't have a list of JHCDs or JHAS to work from. The Archive Series are maybe the most interesting (U.S. musicians visiting in mid 60s, like the Stitt/Scott and Stitt dates, Golson and a few more... but like I say I can't find a discography. Some artists I didn't follow through on and might be there...

Played about half of the Scott and Stitt - the trouble was the recording quality, though fascinating stuff to hear. Now moved back to Rollins albums I haven't heard before and am playing The Standard Sonny Rollins from 1964.

Here's my list so far: http://open.spotify.com/user/davidayers/pl...y9p3D2UfHLANSZM

I included anthologies as they often have tracks from albums I can't find (Wes Montgomery etc.) I don't have a list of JHCDs or JHAS to work from. The Archive Series are maybe the most interesting (U.S. musicians visiting in mid 60s, like the Stitt/Scott and Stitt dates, Golson and a few more... but like I say I can't find a discography. Some artists I didn't follow through on and might be there...

I'm afraid my list is lo-tech and involves ball pen and lined paper. :blush:

Played about half of the Scott and Stitt - the trouble was the recording quality, though fascinating stuff to hear. Now moved back to Rollins albums I haven't heard before and am playing The Standard Sonny Rollins from 1964.

Yeah these mid-sixties recordings were made by Les Tomkins with a single mic, so they are documents I suppose, but pretty interesting and its not like Spotify is Hi-fi, as the name possibly implies! ;)

0094636772028-lf.jpg

Didn't listen to the BBC Met broadcast on principle; but I'm seeking a CD version so tried this one. Works for me.

One awkwardness - pauses between tracks like my first MP3 player - not an issue with separate tracks but a minor irritant with continuous pieces. On the good side, didn't hear a single advert. Announcements about the Kings of Leon might just have broken the flow!

0094636772028-lf.jpg

Didn't listen to the BBC Met broadcast on principle; but I'm seeking a CD version so tried this one. Works for me.

One awkwardness - pauses between tracks like my first MP3 player - not an issue with separate tracks but a minor irritant with continuous pieces. On the good side, didn't hear a single advert. Announcements about the Kings of Leon might just have broken the flow!

http://open.spotify.com/album/2sLx3mkCwYywR1mMsZEW9g

How about this new one? Sells for about £15.

more in this vein, some favorite adam green songs, bible club, pay the toll ("how many drugs does it take to find something to say?" is that a sixties quote?), i wanna die, he's the brat ("he's the brat with the sterilized pitchfork, he's the singer of the beachwood sparks")... definitely helped to lift up my spirits a bit

Edited by Niko