Who should play in the Sugar Bowl?

minew

I'll say OKLAHOMA vs. LSU. (Full disclosure: I am a severely and hoplessly biased LSU fan.)

My reasoning: OK is an obvious choice. LSU is my choice among the once-beatens based on their very convincing victories against tough SEC opponents and the fact that an SEC schedule is always the toughest in the nation. Among the others, OSU has looked shaky all season, squeaking by on too many occasions. And you just can't convince me that a PAC-10 schedule is a legitimate test of a football team (re:USC).

A side question: what should be done with the BCS?

I am prepared to see how everything shakes out in the next three weeks-there's no reason to announce who should play today when there are several games to go, and for that matter, minew, LSU could end up losing their last game in the conference championship.

As for the BCS, I think the solution should either be:

A four team play-off with the games to take over the traditional "big" bowl games, the Orange, Rose, Sugar bowls. The problem is, that leaves other "big bowls" like the Fiesta, and traditionally important bowls like the Cotton, on the outside looking in. So, maye you take the top four bowls listed above, drop the Cotton entirely. Every four years, one of those bowls are not involved in the four team play-off, and of course the championship game continues to be rotated among the bowls.

OR

Go to a 16 team play-off which utilizes a group of the top 15 bowl games and the play-off runs through the month of December. Final games to be played amongst the top bowls, with the championship game to be rotated, as above.

As for the selection process, the combination of polls and computers works fine by me, so long as the pool is expanded, as above. Then, it won't be a debate between #2 and #3 or 4, but rather, all the important teams will be in and the team that misses out was a long shot anyway.

The one problem here is the extension of the season by so many weeks-considering how upsets can happen, top schools that might otherwise play a single game for all the marbles won't want to have to run a gauntlet of top 20 opponents to get to the championship.

But with the recent announcement that the BCS was likely to be changed, I think this is most likely.

there's no reason to announce who should play today when there are several games to go, and for that matter, minew, LSU could end up losing their last game in the conference championship

Not calling for an announcement - just for speculation.

LSU's toughest remaining game may be this Sat. against Ole Miss. Of the three once-beatens, I think OSU is the most likely to end up with two losses, LSU next most likely, and USC is most likely to survive with one loss (though Oregon State and UCLA will not be gimmes). In that case USC would be the obvious choice. If more than one team has one loss though, it'll be open season on the BCS just like a couple years ago when Oregon was denied.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Minew, you got your wish, and at least LSU actually deserves to play for the championship.

But I am just sickened by the fact that Oklahoma can lose a Conference Championship-be absolutely WHOOPED in fact-and still ends up number one in the BCS.

WTF???????

This is makes the BCS to be a complete and total joke and the only hope is that this will lead to its elimination.

Otherwise, just like they have bonus points for "quality wins", they should make it so that a loss in November or later, or even just a loss in the last game of the year, has enough of a negative impact that there's no way on God's green earth that this can happen again.

What a fucking joke.

In the meantime, I will boycott the championship game.

Awww...I think's Dan's just bitter that he's gonna have to see his Seminoles get trounced again in the OB by the 'Canes. :g

I was actually hoping for both USC and LSU to lose, causing utter chaos in the BCS. Oh well.

Personally, I think the BCS should be reformed (if we have to have it), making the poll average component tied to poll *points* instead of the end poll result. Under the current system a team could finish say, second in the AP polls with 1,455 points and another team would end up third with 1,454 points. That paltry one point ends up making a huge difference in the way the BCS turns out, because schedule strengths often contribute less than a full point to a team's BCS total. That makes it hard for teams to make up the full BCS point they lost as a result of the poll average.

Edited by Big Wheel

Well, Minew, you got your wish, and at least LSU actually deserves to play for the championship.

But I am just sickened by the fact that Oklahoma can lose a Conference Championship-be absolutely WHOOPED in fact-and still ends up number one in the BCS.

WTF???????

This is makes the BCS to be a complete and total joke and the only hope is that this will lead to its elimination.

Otherwise, just like they have bonus points for "quality wins", they should make it so that a loss in November or later, or even just a loss in the last game of the year, has enough of a negative impact that there's no way on God's green earth that this can happen again.

What a fucking joke.

In the meantime, I will boycott the championship game.

I am indeed happy about my alma mater getting in though agree that USC should be the opponent.

It's likely next year the BCS will have a rule about having to be a conference champion.

In the meantime, Go Tigers.

the rosebowl will have the best game now.

my friend wants to give me 17 points and michigan.

did anyone see the one handed catch mike williams (usc) made this weekend?

ss1

I'd take Michigan straight up after the way they embarrassed the Buckeyes.

The problem with statistics:

When a pass is thrown and the receiver misses it and tosses the ball in the air for the opposition to catch it.

Receiver error is needed to be added to list of stats.

That is not an interception.

It's almost like a catch, fumble. (better stat)

So the same goes with computer ratings, it all depends on the programmer.

Dumb in dumb out. :g