Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

Alexander

6) If I'm not mistaken, Marquee Moon by Television didn't make the list, but the fucking Ramones did. That's disgusting.

I could swear that Marquee Moon used to be on their top 100 list. Back in the late 80s, they came out with a new, improved top-100 (or 200) list and I remember being slightly gratified that MM was on it. Must have gotten bumped by Eminem. :rolleyes:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by Jazzypaul

2) GregK: you were the one that asked why rap was included? My word, man...Let's face it, rap is part of the musical landscape, and let's face it, the best rappers throughout the years have put out some AMAZING music. If you can't hear it, that's YOUR problem, not mine.

Would you recommend me some amazing rap? I have extremely disliked most of what I've heard, but I know I haven't heard the best of what the genre has to offer.

Posted by Adam

Can someone explain to me why Pet Sounds is considered one of the top 5 pop albums of all time?)

Well, I'm not sure specifically about Pet Sounds (though it is great pop), but I remember hearing some of the Beach Boy's more experimental stuff via a friend who is a big fan of theirs. IMO, they went waaaay further than the Beatles ever did. I mean, they could swing pretty hard, used afro-cuban rhythmic ideas, and had some really great arrangements and textures that went beyond your standard pop stuff. Anyways, you might already know what I'm talking about, but I'll call my friend up and ask him what recordings he played for me.

Can someone explain to me why Pet Sounds is considered one of the top 5 pop albums of all time?

It's probably easier to understand if you actually like the album, but, to keep it simple, it's Brian Wilson's innovative production and arrangements which give it its status, I think.

Personally, I also love the tunes, the voices (Brian in particular), and, of course, the harmonies.

Now I've talked you into seeing things my way, try Sunflower (no. 380): the great unsung (until this poll, I suppose) album in their canon.

Were the contributors asked to give their favourites or the ones they though were 'the best'?

Edited by David Williams