Black History Month and Jazz

"Max Roach and Abbey Lincoln are two masters of Jazz and self expression and show us. It’s powerful, heartbreaking and beautiful. It’s Art. "

yes, I'm especially impressed with how artfully he beat her up.

You left out the Max for Max episode, that very hot cup of Maxwell House™ coffee that she emptied on him.

I believe it hurt to the last drop.

As for Hazel Scott, she stole Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. away from his wife, Isabel Washington Powell.

BTW, Isabel—a wonderful lady— played the "other woman" in Bessie Smith's film, "St. Louis Blues". Her sister, Fredi Washington starred in the original "Pinky" film. Powell dumped Isabel as soon as he was elected, using her up to that point.

In terms of black history, Fredi was probably more important than Hazel.

Edited by Christiern

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW - i am enjoying lester's posts. i particularly enjoyed the "strange Fruit" post! i would like to know more about Laura Duncan and her husband!

from wikipedia:

Abel Meeropol

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

"Lewis Allan" redirects here. For other persons of the same name, see Lewis Allen.

Abel Meeropol

Born February 10, 1903(1903-02-10)

Died October 30, 1986 (aged 83)

Known for Strange Fruit

The House I Live In

Relatives Robert Meeropol, adopted son

Abel Meeropol (February 10, 1903 - October 30, 1986) was an American writer and inadvertent song-writer, best known under his pseudonym Lewis Allan and as the adoptive father of the young sons of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.

[edit] Biography

Meeropol wrote the anti-lynching poem, "Strange Fruit", which he subsequently set to music. The song's best known recordings and performances were by Billie Holiday and Josh White.[1] Billie Holiday (or rather her ghostwriter) claimed, in Lady Sings the Blues, that she cowrote the music to the song with Meeropol and Sonny White, but in fact, Meeropol was the sole writer of both lyrics and melody to this haunting plea for civil rights.[2]

Meeropol was the writer of countless poems and songs, including the Frank Sinatra and Josh White hit The House I Live In and the libretto of Robert Kurka's opera "The Good Soldier Schweik". He taught at DeWitt Clinton High School in the Bronx, and on the side was an ardent, but closet, Communist. Meeropol chose to write as Lewis Allan in memory of the names of his two stillborn children.

Later, he and his wife Anne adopted Julius and Ethel Rosenberg's two sons, Michael and Robert, after their parents' executions. Michael and Robert took the Meeropol surname.

According to Robert Meeropol, "Strange Fruit", "The House I Live In" and the Peggy Lee hit "Apples, Peaches and Cherries" provided most of the royalty income of the family. The latter especially after it had been translated into French by Sacha Distel (French folksinger and sometime boyfriend of Brigitte Bardot). The resulting number one hit in France "Scoubidou" still earns Michael and Robert Meeropol royalties; however, these only started coming in after Distel and Abel Meeropol settled a copyright infringement law suit over Distel's plagiarism.[3]

Meeropol died on October 30, 1986 at the Jewish Nursing Home in Longmeadow, Massachusetts.[4]

[edit] References

^ David Margolick, Strange Fruit: Billie Holiday, Café Society, and an Early Cry for Civil Rights (Philadelphia: Running Press, 2000), pp. 16-70.

^ Margolick, Strange Fruit, pp. 31-33, 128-131.

^ Robert Meeropol, An Execution in the family. One Son's Journey (New York: St. Martin's Griffin, 2003), pp. 47-48.

^ "Abel Meeropol, 83, A Songwriter, Dies". New York Times. October 31, 1986. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F5071EF93F5F0C728FDDA90994DE484D81. Retrieved 2008-08-11. "Abel Meeropol, a songwriter and composer who adopted the sons of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, died of pneumonia yesterday at the Jewish Nursing Home in Longmeadow, Mass. He was 83 years old and had lived in South Miami, Fla., before entering the nursing home.

Actually, I withdraw my original comment. To develop my response would lead to a possibly academic and certainly ill-natured discussion of what 'whiteness' is supposed to be, and I don't think anyone here will have any more time or stomach for that than I do. And Allen and Chris are right, without specifics my post looks like insinuation, which is never a very noble tactic. So please, pretend I never spoke.

well, that's ok, I would welcome the discussion - though why do you assume I'm white? Let me quote Ralph Ellison here:

“The real guilt of…Jewish intellectuals lies in their facile, perhaps unconscious, but certainly unrealistic identification with what is called ‘the power structure.’ Negroes call that ‘passing for white.’ Speaking personally, both as a writer and as Negro American, I would like to see the more positive distinctions between whites and Jewish Americans maintained.” – Ralph Ellison

Actually, I withdraw my original comment. To develop my response would lead to a possibly academic and certainly ill-natured discussion of what 'whiteness' is supposed to be, and I don't think anyone here will have any more time or stomach for that than I do. And Allen and Chris are right, without specifics my post looks like insinuation, which is never a very noble tactic. So please, pretend I never spoke.

You have my respect for that. We should all be so civil and reasonable.

Its amazing to me that anyone could hear Strange Fruit and not get it but after all, this is America.

Black History Month - The Nat King Cole Show - The Power of Jazz

http://jazzonthetube.com/videos/black-history-month/the-nat-king-cole-show.html

In the 1950s Nat King Cole was in the the mainstream of American show business and had already produced several records that had sold millions of copies each. Cole was a regular guest star on many variety shows on national television including those of Perry Como, Milton Berle, Ed Sullivan and Jackie Gleason. Nat was a natural on television he was offered his own show by NBC which premiered in 1956. Cole was nervous about being the first major black performer to host his own show on network television and at the time said "It could be a turning point, so that Negroes may be featured regularly on television. If I try to make a big thing out of being the first and stir up a lot of talk, it might work adversely."

The show featured excellent music with orchestra leaders Nelson Riddle and Gordan Jenkins and guests that included Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, Mel Torme, Pearl Bailey, Mahailia Jackson, Sammy Davis, Jr., Tony Bennett, and Harry Belafonte. From the beginning The Nat King Cole show had a lot of trouble finding national sponsors and NBC even sponsored the show at first in hopes of sponsors emerging. Many companies were afraid to endorse a show with an African-American host out of fear that white, southern audiences would boycott their products. This made little sense to Cole and he was quoted as saying "And what about a corporation like the telephone company? A man sees a Negro on a television show. What's he going to do--call up the telephone company and tell them to take out the phone?" The show was able to find companies that would buy advertising in specific regions but no national sponsors would emerge.

When Singer Sewing Company wanted to sponsor a cowboy show NBC gave them the time slot of Nat's show and while he was offered a less desirable time slot he declined. In Nat's own words "For 13 months I was the Jackie Robinson of television. I was the pioneer, the test case, the Negro first....On my show rode the hopes and tears and dreams of millions of people....Once a week for 64 consecutive weeks I went to bat for these people. I sacrificed and drove myself. I plowed part of my salary back into the show. I turned down $500,000 in dates in order to be on the scene. I did everything I could to make the show a success. And what happened? After a trailblazing year that shattered all the old bugaboos about Negroes on TV, I found myself standing there with the bat on my shoulder. The men who dictate what Americans see and hear didn't want to play ball." Ertha Kitt, one of the guests on The Nat King Cole Show, said "I think it was too early, to show ourselves off as intelligent people."

Black History Month - Oscar Brown Jr. - The Power of Jazz

http://jazzonthetube.com/videos/black-history-month/oscar-brown-jr.html

Oscar Brown Jr. was born in Chicago in 1926. Brown's father was a lawyer and real estate agent and hoped Oscar would follow in his footsteps. Oscar found a different path for himself though and at fifteen years old had a role on a national radio series called 'Secret City'. Oscar would follow in his father's foot steps in other ways though as his father was the the leader of Chicago branch of the NAACP growing up.

In 1947 Oscar got a broadcasting job with Chicago's first African-American news show called 'Negro News Front' and in his own words "That sort of pivoted me, it changed me around and made me not only an actor but also an activist." Also during this time Oscar was a member of the Civil Rights Congress, a organization that openly accused the U.S. Government of genocide against black people. In his early twenties Brown went into politics and and ran for Illinois State Representative with little success and tried again running for 1st District Congressman. As he became more politically active and aware his radio show began offending more and more white people and eventually was canceled in 1953 by the white radio station owners.

Following service in the Army Brown began composing songs and performing in night clubs and continued fighting for Civil Rights through his music. Oscar says "The liberation of black people from the domination of racist whites can only be achieved by application of the necessary force. Can music provide this force? Yes, it can, due to its matchless ability to stir the human spirit." Oscar signed a record contract with Columbia and his first album "Sin and Soul" made him a national star. The album offered several songs with commentary on the struggle of African-Americans in America and his lyrical phrasing is considered the beginnings of Hip-Hop and a strong influence on Gil Scott-Heron. Brown also wrote lyrics for other artists including the lyrics on Max Roach's album 'We Insist! - Freedom Now Suite' as well as words to the famous songs "Afro Blue", "Work Song" and "Dat Dere". During this period Oscar was performing with the likes of Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie and John Coltrane.

In 1962 Brown became the host of the television show Jazz Scene USA while continuing to write and focused on writing musicals. His musical Opportunity Please Knock was a huge success about gangs in this country and it resulted in the reduction of gang violence and brought awareness to the fact that kids in gangs and inner cities need to have better opportunities to express themselves and advance themselves in order to improve the situation. After his musical he was asked to launch a talent search in Gary, Indiana and discovered five brothers we know as the Jackson Five. Oscar Brown Jr. produced more social activist themed plays in the 1960s including Joy 66, Summer in the City and Buck White. Oscar continued making albums as well with 'In a New Mood', 'Between Heaven and Hell', 'Tells It Like It Is!' and 'Mr. Oscar Goes to Washington'.

Brown continued in the 1970s and beyond writing and appearing on television shows spreading his message of racial equality and bringing awareness to the most troubling issues few would speak about openly. Some of his work from this period includes the musical drama Slave Song, the television special Oscar Brown is Back which won two Emmy awards, his play Great Nitty Gritty and hosted a thirteen week series on PBS called From Jump Street: The Story of Black Music. Oscar continued to perform and record albums two, some with his daughter and son, including his 1995 album 'Then and Now' and 'Live Every Minute' recorded a few years later. Oscar Brown Jr. never stopped fighting the evils of this world and continued to write, speak and perform until he passed in 2005.

I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free

Written by Billy Taylor in 1954 and made famous in

the 1960s by Nina Simone "I Wish I Knew How It Would

Feel To Be Free" was one of the most popular anthems of

the Civil Rights Movement.

Here are two live performances of the song; The first by

Billy Taylor and the second by Nina Simone.

http://jazzonthetube.com/videos/black-history-month/i-wish-i-knew-how-it-would-feel-to-be-free.html

Heritage: If You Are Really Concerned Then Show It - Billy Taylor

From the piece Peaceful Warrior, Billy Taylor's

"Heritage: If You Are Really Concerned Then Show It" is a

musical tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Today's video features Taylor's music as well as

live interviews with Dr. King followed by an interview

with Taylor about his relationship with King.

Hope you are enjoying!

http://www.jazzonthetube.com/videos/black-history-month/heritage-if-you-are-really-concerned-then-show-it.html

Allen -

Check this out if you haven't already. I feel like you probably know about this already but if not, worth a look.

No one gets left out :)

http://www.blackjews.org/

Edited by LesterPerkins

Allen -

Check this out if you haven't already. I feel like you probably know about this already but if not, worth a look.

hey chris how about linking this to your blog!!!!

:excited:

Isn't that a bit childish, BM? So, what is your point this time? My blog is not about religion—in fact, I think all organized religion is a plague upon humanity. If it were not for the "Political Correctness" dictates that so many feel compelled to follow (rather than their conscience and sense of reason) there would be no organized religion upon which to base hatred and warring.

As Bessie Smith once said to her niece, Ruby, when she had had her fill of pretentiousness: "Let's get naked and be ourselves!"

Might just solve a lot of problems caused by the socially challenged. :)

Now, can we get back to Lester's celebration of Black History? There is much ground to cover and this is, after all, the shortest month.

Allen -

hey chris how about linking this to your blog!!!!

:excited:

Isn't that a bit childish, BM? So, what is your point this time? My blog is not about religion—in fact, I think all organized religion is a plague upon humanity. If it were not for the "Political Correctness" dictates that so many feel compelled to follow (rather than their conscience and sense of reason) there would be no organized religion upon which to base hatred and warring.

As Bessie Smith once said to her niece, Ruby, when she had had her fill of pretentiousness: "Let's get naked and be ourselves!"

Might just solve a lot of problems caused by the socially challenged. :)

Now, can we get back to Lester's celebration of Black History? There is much ground to cover and this is, after all, the shortest month.

yes it was childish and i was just poking fun at you a little. :)

that being said - i enjoy your blog and your many insightful (non-political) contributions here. :)