Mike Westbrook - finally the big band is back...

manfred

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You were there, jazzscriveyn? :huh:

Saw the gig too - a good turnout and a delightful concert as usual. A bit too iffy weatherwise for outside in the 'Quad' but the Yellow Room worked out fine. Didn't get hold of one of those flyers though - there was a dearth of them where I was sat.

'Hanna's' makes an excellent base for the band.

You were there, jazzscriveyn? :huh:

Saw the gig too - a good turnout and a delightful concert as usual. A bit too iffy weatherwise for outside in the 'Quad' but the Yellow Room worked out fine. Didn't get hold of one of those flyers though - there was a dearth of them where I was sat.

'Hanna's' makes an excellent base for the band.

Sorry to have missed you! I was in the first row - lucky to, because we had lunch at the cafe and we had just time to get our coffees in a paper cup and rush over to the Yellow Room. You didn't hang around after the show,did you?

The frilly decoration, I understand from a wedding, was hilarious: I thought Kate might break into a can-can any moment. :D

You didn't hang around after the show,did you?

Had to make a sharp exit after the show for the long drive back. Too bad - would have liked to have hung around. I was at the back LHS with some of the view blocked by that 'thing' in the middle of the room.

I didn't even notice the frilly decoration. Shows how bad the view was from there.. :D

Seale-Hayne is quite an interesting place - previously an agricultural college and during WW1 apparently there was very important work on shell shock treatment carried out when it was requisitioned by the army. Wonderful views of Devon from the front too !

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great night in Snoives. Much the same line-up as last year but doing the Rossini arrangements. Excellent playing from largely unknown players (at a national level at least). Again, Roz Harding stood out in the solos.

Be good to hear some of Mike's more recent music recorded by this band.

Great night in Snoives. Much the same line-up as last year but doing the Rossini arrangements. Excellent playing from largely unknown players (at a national level at least). Again, Roz Harding stood out in the solos.

Be good to hear some of Mike's more recent music recorded by this band.

Glad to hear it went well - same material as per Newton Abbott I guess. Couldn't get over to St Ives - was press-ganged into an excellent Carribean restaurant do (seafood) and far too much local and obscure real ale (some of it at 8% proof) in various dens of iniquity of Falmouth. Great place ! :D

Don't ever recall seeing that. Pub and bookshop - could be the concept that kills Costa Coffee!

(Side thought - lookout for a book called 'The Levelling Sea', the story of Falmouth's heyday. Full of amazing stories - none more so than that of Joseph Emidy who began life in West Africa, was captured as a slave, found himself playing violin in the opera in Lisbon, was kidnapped by a British sea captain during the Napoleonic wars and ended up leading the Truro symphony orchestra and composing. He's buried in Falmouth. A great pre-Windrush story.

http://www.emidy.com/

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Don't ever recall seeing that. Pub and bookshop - could be the concept that kills Costa Coffee!

I don't think it's been open for that long - it is easy to miss, in one of those narrow lanes off of the main drag. Packed out with Falmouth Uni students spending their grants (or what passes for a grant these days) - good for them.

Maybe there is also a market for pubs with jazz vinyl/CD shops?

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 month later...

Coming up tomorrow, Monday Sept. 23rd, night on BBC Radio 3 / Jazz on 3

Kate & Mike Westbrook on their new album & its launch in London on Oct. 1st:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03bfm1h

Thanks for the alert.

Will listen to that on the iPlayer at some point next week.

• 4 months later...