Mike Westbrook - finally the big band is back...

manfred

Question for sidewinder:

July 22nd, 2012 - Mike Westbrook Big Band: The Drewe Arms, Drewsteignton, Devon EX6 6QN

As I mentioned in the weather thread, this fits nicely with my holiday plans as I head back to civilisation for a couple of weeks. I've booked a campsite nearby for a couple of nights. Ringing the pub they were a bit vague about this concert - suspect I got someone not very high up in the pecking order - so I'll ring back a bit closer to the time.

How have you got your ticket in the past?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for sidewinder:

July 22nd, 2012 - Mike Westbrook Big Band: The Drewe Arms, Drewsteignton, Devon EX6 6QN

As I mentioned in the weather thread, this fits nicely with my holiday plans as I head back to civilisation for a couple of weeks. I've booked a campsite nearby for a couple of nights. Ringing the pub they were a bit vague about this concert - suspect I got someone not very high up in the pecking order - so I'll ring back a bit closer to the time.

How have you got your ticket in the past?

Check Mike and Kate Westbrook's site for details of their diary. An email to the board admin should provide further details. At that last concert I was able to buy a ticket at the door, no problem.

The place is not very big - they probably have to vacate cows out of the barn before the concert. Damn cool place IMO. :)

Edited by sidewinder

Thanks, sidewinder.

I rang the pub via the contact details on the Westbrook site. I'll leave it till early July to try again.

Like the idea of small - one of the most exciting big band gigs I saw was Mike Gibbs with the Creative Jazz Orchestra in the 90s in the back room of a pub in Sheffield.

The place is not very big - they probably have to vacate cows out of the barn before the concert. Damn cool place IMO. :)

In the top left corner of this photo, which indeed was taken at the June 2007 "Village Band" gig in Drewesteignton, you can see the last of the cattle leaving before the music starts.

frisian.jpg

Getting a ticket on the spot was all right for me too, once I had found someone willing to take my money.

ok, it was just a frisian patterned chair :D

In the top left corner of this photo, which indeed was taken at the June 2007 "Village Band" gig in Drewesteignton, you can see the last of the cattle leaving before the music starts.

Getting a ticket on the spot was all right for me too, once I had found someone willing to take my money.

Maybe I'll stand by the door with some tickets I've made!

Love the thought of the fresh smell of dung to accompany an evening of jazz.

• 2 months later...

Excellent Westbrook big band concert in the beer garden of the Drewe Arms this afternoon - 2 hours of Ellington, a few standards and originals. High point was an extended arrangement of 'Johnny Come Lately' with the tenor convinced he was Gonsalvez at Newport.

The weather was idyllic, the beer tasty and the smoked fish salad delicious. I forgive the rest of the summer to this point.

Excellent Westbrook big band concert in the beer garden of the Drewe Arms this afternoon - 2 hours of Ellington, a few standards and originals. High point was an extended arrangement of 'Johnny Come Lately' with the tenor convinced he was Gonsalvez at Newport.

The weather was idyllic, the beer tasty and the smoked fish salad delicious. I forgive the rest of the summer to this point.

Damn - I'd completely forgotten about it. Work has got completely in the way over the past couple of months. <_<

I see there's more concerts on at 'Hanna's' so that will likely be my next port of call. Yes, the food at the Drewe Arms is pretty good ! Glad to hear that it went well and that the weather was kind.

with the tenor convinced he was Gonsalvez at Newport.

That would be either Lou Gare ... or Gary Bayley.

Edited by sidewinder

Gary Bayley - unknown to me as were most of the band. Alan Wakeman was next to him and also soloed well.

Yes, they're doing a few concerts over the summer in the south-west.

There's a rave review of a recent pair of concerts in this month's jazz wise. As the reviewer says, London gets Wynton and the Lincoln centre band, Devon gets Westbrook. No contest.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Wow - Alan Wakeman in the lineup. Good to hear !

I heard that Gary (a mainstay of the Exeter/Devon scene) is currently doing a PhD in Westbrook-ology/British Jazz (somethng along those lines). Now there's an academic subject that could get me excited ! :cool:

Will be sure to check out at least one of those forthcoming Newton Abbott concerts. Stuff Wynton !

Edited by sidewinder

Glad you made it to Devon, Bev. And the weather turning round just in time.

... I heard that Gary ... is currently doing a PhD in Westbrook-ology/British Jazz ...

Yes, on Mike Westbrook, due to finish around the end of the year.

Will be sure to check out at least one of those forthcoming Newton Abbott concerts.

Be sure to take the car; it's quite a bit outside of N.A.

London gets Wynton and the Lincoln centre band, Devon gets Westbrook. No contest.
Stuff Wynton !

The Ayes have it! :D

There are a couple of reviews for the Newton Abbot Ellington concert at the Westbrooks' newsletter #92 here: http://www.westbrookjazz.co.uk/sai/index.shtml

Lou Gare @ open rehearsal day last month (Hannahs, Seale-Hayne, Newton Abbot)

IMG_2815_c_scr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice photos. Great to see Mike W. back on electric keyboard !

He only played for a few minutes. Keyboards were played by a young chap called Billy Bottle (who sounds as if he might have absconded from a ship of the line in Plymouth harbour). Mike directed for the bulk of the performance.

• 2 months later...

Caught the gig at Barnstaple last night after a crazy drive over the top of Exmoor. Alan Wakeman was in on alto (and played superbly) but otherwise the lineup seems to be pretty well as per the Drewe Arms gig mentioned above. Lou Gare back in the lineup as well and contributed some really excellent clarinet solos. A varied, well-paced couple of sets at the old Queen's Theatre as part of the Barnstaple 'Fringe' - lots of Ellingtonia, a bit of Weill/Brecht to feature Kate's vocals and (pleasingly) a good scattering of Westbrook originals including an extended 'On Duke's Birthday', a Chris McGregor tribute and an extended variation on 'Johnny Come Lately'. Good stuff and - one has to say - how refreshing it is to hear a 'real' big band. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

Caught the gig at Barnstaple last night after a crazy drive over the top of Exmoor. Alan Wakeman was in on alto (and played superbly) but otherwise the lineup seems to be pretty well as per the Drewe Arms gig mentioned above. Lou Gare back in the lineup as well and contributed some really excellent clarinet solos. A varied, well-paced couple of sets at the old Queen's Theatre as part of the Barnstaple 'Fringe' - lots of Ellingtonia, a bit of Weill/Brecht to feature Kate's vocals and (pleasingly) a good scattering of Westbrook originals including an extended 'On Duke's Birthday', a Chris McGregor tribute and an extended variation on 'Johnny Come Lately'. Good stuff and - one has to say - how refreshing it is to hear a 'real' big band. :tup

Great! Pleased it went so well.

Let's hope we hear that 'Johnny Come Lately' (and other new stuff) soon.

I'm hoping Mike arranges another Drewe Arms gig to fit in with my holidays next year!

It was certainly worth the expedition and the 2nd mortgage for the fuel to get there ! I did get student discount for the admission though. :cool:

I'm hoping that they do one of their Xmas gigs this year - either the Brass Band or the Big Band - in the Exeter/Teignmouth area. So far, now word on the Westbrook site.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link to yesterday's Telegraph article on the Trio's 30th anniversary. - And, here below, a screenshot from the Telegraph website :D

Strange - All I see is something about Britney Spears writing novels ! :lol:

I was just thinking how chuffed the Rolling Stones, Yoko Ono & Co. should be to be up there in the news with the Westbrooks :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...