Butch Warren Discography Question

bertrand

Is the 'Maison De L'ORTF' in Paris where Butch Warren played with Monk on 2/23/64 the same venue as the one referred to as 'Maison De La Radio' where Butch Warren played on 5/22/10 (and a recording of which will be issued in April).

I am wondering if the studio was always in the same location. If I understand correctly, this is also where the cover photo of Larry Young's Into Something was taken.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

This had been taken care of on Rooster Ties' architecture thread a long time ago. All I need to know now is where the place that is on the cover of Dexter Gordon's 'One Flight Up' is (or was!).

I remember the thread, but seems I didn't follow it closely enough!

The building on "One Flight Up" looks like it must have been vanished quite some time, wouldn't fit in with modern Paris, too well, would it? Maybe it collapsed just after Dexter had walked away... ;)

There seem to have been two Monk shows in Paris in 1964:

At the Alhambra (theater or club?) on 2/22/64

At the ORTF on 2/23/64

Brownie, did you attend either or both?

The entire ORTF concert is on the Live In Paris Volumes 1 and 2. Butch thinks this period is his best playing with Monk, and I agree.

Three tracks from the Alhmabra are on the Monk Heard 'Round The World CD on Hyena. Butch is also on the one track from Monterey on this CD, not John Ore. This is a discographical error that will not go away, but it is corrected where it counts, in Chris Sheridan's Monk book.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

There were two Paris concerts by the Monk quartet in February 1964.

The first one was on February 22 at the Alhambra, a music hall on the right bank of the city. The concert was held at 6PM (so as not to conflict with the regular 9PM show there). I did not make it because I was working until early evening at the time. Bud Powell did attend that show.

I did make it to the Maison de la Radio on te following day.

The Alhambra show was released on the Esoldun label

48948.jpg

(there never was a Vol. 2. It probably was canned after the series was ordered to close!).

The Maison de la Radio concert was also released by Esoldun on a double CD 'Live in Paris 1964'(cannot trace a scan of it).