Big quake in Tokyo

On a scale from one to ten, with "10" = Chernobyl -- I'm getting the sense from everything I'm hearing (BBC & NPR and on-line), that they're at a good solid "6" at the moment -- and headed, albeit slowly, in the wrong direction.

The IAEA introduced a system for rating nuclear events in 1990, called INES (International Nuclear Event Scale). Chernobyl was rated "7" which is the highest level. The last official statement from Japanese authorities regarding the INES rating seems to be from three days ago when it was rated "4", but the French nuclear safety authorities (among others) have upgraded the rating to "6".

Here's a summary on the IAEA website: http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/tsunamiupdate01.html

Thank you for that information. I had heard a BBC radio report of what was apparently that IAEA scale, and was trying to parrot what I vaguely remembered.

Crap, a "6" (out of 7). When it was at a "4", my mind was a little more at ease, but every day things seem to be getting more and more serious.

And now a fire at a 4th(!) reactor -- a scenario that surely wasn't on ANYBODY'S radar. Though not Chernobyl (and it appears it can't possibly get that bad, since that involved an explosion of an operating reactor without a containment structure), this is still a frighteningly serious situation.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again I must comment on the resilience of the Japanese.

The closest I can compare it to domestically is Katrina. We all remember the footage of crowds breaking into stores and residences, stealing things they really didn't need to survive - tv's, microwave ovens, alcohol, etc., the lawlessness. So far I have seen none of that in the Japan footage.

If there is such a thing as a national character, the Japanese people are really showing it to us. I wouldn't call it meekness, but I'm sure there's an explanation of it. I don't know whether it's their religion, upbringing, or something else, but it is remarkable!

If there is such a thing as a national character, the Japanese people are really showing it to us. I wouldn't call it meekness, but I'm sure there's an explanation of it. I don't know whether it's their religion, upbringing, or something else, but it is remarkable!

The importance of community as a whole is generally far greater than the importance of the individual (or even one's family unit). I'm certainly no expert on Japanese culture, but this comes through in nearly every report I'm hearing. For instance, vending machines with water and beverages NOT being broken in to, despite people having gone 4 days with little food or water -- because culturally, such things are simply not done in Japan.

Humanity probably could learn a great deal from their reaction during this time of crisis.

Loudmouth jerk.

<_<

Tasteless Tweets cost Gottfried Aflac duck gig

By Lisa de Moraes

Washington Post

Gilbert Gottfried arrives with the Aflac duck to an award show last summer. (Charles Sykes - AP) You’ve heard the last of comic Gilbert Gottfried voicing the Aflac duck in the insurance company’s TV ads. The insurance company has sacked Gottfried after he spent the weekend tweeting a slew of gags about Friday’s magnitude 9.0 earthquake and ensuing tsunami that, as of this writing, had claimed 2,414 lives and counting. In the Miyagi prefecture along, the police chief has estimated the local death toll could rise to 10,000.

“Gilbert’s recent comments about the crisis in Japan were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac."

......He also Tweeted: “I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, ‘There’ll be another one floating by any minute now’.” ...........

Friars+Club+Roast+Matt+Lauer+_S-QmFS9K68l.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/tv-column/post/tasteless-tweets-cost-gottfried-aflac-duck-gig/2011/03/15/AB0r9IW_blog.html

Loudmouth jerk.

<_<

Indeed! He's on a lot of those z list celeb roasts on the comedy channel...will try not to derail this thread, but the crap I have heard him and others say on them, is so far beyond unfunny, it's amazing. They take a perverse pride in kicking folks when they are down....They have the right to say it, but today there is no filter with some "comedians" Glad he has lost his one real gig.

I see David had some links to donate a page or so back, here is a direct one to help Japan via the Red Cross.

https://american.redcross.org/site/Donation2?idb=0&5052.donation=form1&df_id=5052

Just saw a piece on CNN having to do with historical lack of forthrightness with respect to full disclosure on the part of TEPCO. It cited two different and reasonably recent occurrences where they underplayed the severity of a particular incident. One would hope that would not be the case in a catastrophe of this magnitude, but they don't exactly have what I'd call a spotless track record when it comes to candor.

From the article...

A U.S. nuclear expert said he feared the worst.

"It's more of a surrender," said David Lochbaum, a nuclear engineer who now heads the nuclear safety program for the Union of Concerned Scientists, an activist group. "It's not like you wait 10 days and the radiation goes away. In that 10 days things are going to get worse."

"It's basically a sign that there's nothing left to do but throw in the towel," Lochbaum said.

:excl:

Caveats, this is from Wikipedia, but I imagine it's being policed very(?) carefully (and seems to be sourced in great detail).

Timeline of the Fukushima nuclear accidents

It seems to be updated frequently, and is fairly straightforward account of the events as they continue to unfold.

(Again, it's Wikipedia, so only time will tell how accurate it is.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

A very interesting article on the Japanese response to this crisis, contrasting their response to that of other countries during times of semi-similar crisis.

Why The Japanese Aren't Looting

One take-away quote from the middle of the article...

The Cruise Ship and the Ferryboat

Many years ago, a worldly and insightful Japanese business executive offered me an analogy that gets to heart of the forces keeping the Japanese in line, that has nothing to do with culture. "Japanese people," he told me, "are like passengers on a cruise ship. They know that they are stuck with the same people around them for the foreseeable future, so they are polite, and behave in ways that don't make enemies, and keep everything on a friendly and gracious basis."

"Americans," he said, "are like ferryboat passengers. They know that at the end of a short voyage they will get off and may never see each other again. So if they push ahead of others to get off first, there are no real consequences to face. It is every man for himself."

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I don't know whether it's their religion, upbringing, or something else, but it is remarkable!

Being congested on an island (or group of them) must have much to do with it.

UK?

Yeah - we're the undisciplined anti-matter version.

Level of congesation in Japan must be much higher though (I'm thinking here of the rush hour trains and the special measures to get people on trains).

Edited by sidewinder

Japan Earthquake: before and after pictures....

'They've lost control': French claim Japan is hiding full scale of nuclear disaster as TWO more reactors heat up

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366670/Japan-earthquake-tsunami-French-claim-scale-nuclear-disaster-hidden.html#ixzz1Gm9IZwmi

Edited by BERIGAN

Japan Earthquake: before and after pictures....

'They've lost control': French claim Japan is hiding full scale of nuclear disaster as TWO more reactors heat up

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1Gm9IZwmi

I would respectfully urge caution when reading the Daily Mail about anything. Pinches of salt might be required

Edited by mjazzg

There appears to be a significant difference of opinion developing amongst those with knowledge of the situation. The United States recommends that anyone within 50 miles of the Fukushima plant clear that zone immediately. TEPCO or the Japanese government seems to be going in the other direction, feeling that the current restrictions are sufficient. This is what's so frustrating. Only one thing is actually happening. Why is it so hard to come to an agreement about what's really going on and then tell the truth about it. What do you gain by hiding anything?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/world/asia/17nuclear.html?_r=1&hp

Edited by Dave James