Big quake in Tokyo

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today --

New 7.4 Earthquake Rattles Japan; Tsunami Warning Issued

There's been a 7.4-magnitude earthquake off the North Central coast of Japan, near the same location of the 9.0-magnitude temblor on March 11 that set off a tsunami that pummeled cities along the coast, leaving thousands dead or missing.

That's the greatest magnitude of any quake in the area since that March 11 disaster.

The Japan Meteorological Agency has a issued tsunami warning — and says the wave's height could be about 2 meters — for part of the coast. A tsunami advisory has been issued for parts of the coast further from the epicenter. They should expect a wave about half a meter in height.

Today --

New 7.4 Earthquake Rattles Japan; Tsunami Warning Issued

There's been a 7.4-magnitude earthquake off the North Central coast of Japan, near the same location of the 9.0-magnitude temblor on March 11 that set off a tsunami that pummeled cities along the coast, leaving thousands dead or missing.

That's the greatest magnitude of any quake in the area since that March 11 disaster.

The Japan Meteorological Agency has a issued tsunami warning — and says the wave's height could be about 2 meters — for part of the coast. A tsunami advisory has been issued for parts of the coast further from the epicenter. They should expect a wave about half a meter in height.

I was having an early night when the latest, and biggest, aftershock woke me from my golden slumbers.

Still, it was only a 6 or so in Tokyo, kids stuff ! :g

Two more quite big aftershocks.Last night I arrived for a dental appointment to find the doors wide open and the staff standing around looking worried. This morning it was shake rattle and roll again. everyone's on edge after a month of aftershocks.

Wish it would end.

I've been trying to keep a positive frame of mind and not succumb to stress but I don't mind telling you that these continuing aftershocks, three yesterday, two today as of lunchtime are pretty hard on one's nerves.

Hisako was telling me of a big increase in outpatients at neurology departments. One problem a lot of people are having, myself included, is imagining that the building is trembling when it isn't. I don't know how many times a day I find myself glancing up at the lights. Swinging lights being the first indication of a quake. Gotta chill out somehow :huh:

Edited by kinuta

Two more quite big aftershocks.Last night I arrived for a dental appointment to find the doors wide open and the staff standing around looking worried. This morning it was shake rattle and roll again. everyone's on edge after a month of aftershocks.

Wish it would end.

I wish it would end too but apparently aftershocks like this could easily continue for a year or so with a significant chance of one being 8.0 or larger. What can you do? :shrug[1]:

The fact that TEPCO and the Japanese government have now reclassified this nuclear incident to Cat 7 (the highest it can go) makes me very concerned about their ability to be completely forthright when it comes to characterizing the severity of this disaster. I've had a strong sense all along that people weren't being told what they needed to know to make the right decisions. Not to mention that it makes the size of the grain of salt with which we should take any and all future announcements a major consideration. The concept of "saving face" has been discussed earlier in this thread. Someone needs to get real. There's a time and a place for that sort of thing. This is neither.

• 4 weeks later...

May 12th, this just in: Nuclear meltdown at Fukushima plant .

One of the reactors at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi power plant did suffer a nuclear meltdown, Japanese officials admitted for the first time today, describing a pool of molten fuel at the bottom of the reactor's containment vessel.

Engineers from the Tokyo Electric Power company (Tepco) entered the No.1 reactor at the end of last week for the first time and saw the top five feet or so of the core's 13ft-long fuel rods had been exposed to the air and melted down.

Previously, Tepco believed that the core of the reactor was submerged in enough water to keep it stable and that only 55 per cent of the core had been damaged.

More here.

• 2 months later...

In case anyone's interested, there have been two 6.0 plus quakes over the last few days, one on Saturday and one last night that woke me, and the rest of Tokyo, up.

Things are far from normal here with the government actively promoting sale of Fukushima produce and fruit and idiots galore buying it as if they fulfilling a patriotic duty of support. There have been stories of government agencies telling wholesalers and distributors to remove labels indicating that the item was grown in Fukushima, and at least two instances in our local shops of produce being mislabeled as coming from a safe prefecture when in fact it came from Fukushima. School meals are widely using Fukushima produce .

The willful ignorance of people is astonishing and disheartening.

Edited by kinuta