2011 MLB Season

BTW, for any Boston fan or foe who's ready to bury the Red Sox, I have just five words: the 2000 New York Yankees. They lost 15 of their last 18 regular-season games and still went on to win the World Series. If Bedard and Buchholz both make it back (and Bedard's return is imminent while Buchholz's is still very much up in the air), Boston will have a very good starting rotation for the playoffs.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Yankees just clinched the AL East--still can't quite believe it (given how incredibly strong Boston looked going into this season), and they did it with a pinch-hit single from Jorge Posada. :party: It's been a great year, whatever ends up happening in the playoffs (and I still think the back end of any NY postseason rotation is going to leave them seriously vulnerable).

Berigan--what's up with the Braves? Any chance St. Louis is going to overtake them?

Edited by ghost of miles

After today's loss Tampa Bay may be dead. They're now 2 back in the loss column to the Bosox and Tampa bay has to be smarting after the loss, they led 2-1 until the 8th when the Yanks score 3 to take it.

I was actually hoping the Yanks would not take the 2nd game tonight for three reasons. One, I hate helping the Red Sox and would rather see the Rays overtake them for the WC; two, an early clinching of the division (that was inevitable anyway) with a week to go takes away a sense of urgency from the upcoming series with the Sox; three, I fear the Yankee starters will be so rested by the time the playoffs begin, they'll lose any competitive edge they may otherwise have had.

Out of left-field premonition here...

Rangers clinch the AL West sometime this weekend with no help from the voracious Angels, who are refusing to lose any more than is apparently absolutely necessary to force the Rangers to keep winning.

With Wash's on-the-record preference for having rested players taking precedence over the fight for home field advantage, the Rangers meet the Angels for the last three games of the regular season, games which will mean nothing (yet) to the Rangers, but everything to the Angels as they angle for the Wild Card slot.

Don't anybody look now, but the 2011 Poster Child for Wasted, Horribly Bad Contracts, Mr. Vernon Wells, has all of a sudden come out of his season long hibernation and is hitting the ball with vim, vigor, vitality, and, yes, power. Vernon Wells will lead the Angels to a three game sweep of the Rangers in regular season games 160, 161., & 162, lead his season-long uninspired and uninspiring Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim to the America League wild card slot, past the collapsing Red Sox and the just-not-quite-enough-to-get-there Rays. And after that, all bets are off.

Wait and see - Vernon Wells - the season-long 'buked and scorned Vernon Wells - is going to be the most out-of-nowhere post-season hero and defiler of dreams and expectations since....Cody Ross!

Edited by JSngry

The Yankees just clinched the AL East--still can't quite believe it (given how incredibly strong Boston looked going into this season), and they did it with a pinch-hit single from Jorge Posada. :party: It's been a great year, whatever ends up happening in the playoffs (and I still think the back end of any NY postseason rotation is going to leave them seriously vulnerable).

Berigan--what's up with the Braves? Any chance St. Louis is going to overtake them?

First, congrats to the yankees, great team, blah, blah, blah :rolleyes::P

Ghost, any chance??? I'd say there is about a 90% chance the Cards or even the Giants (pretty long shot now with so few games left) overtake the braves. :(

Kind of hard to to lose Jair Jurrjens (1.87 ERA at the all star break) and Tommy Hanson (2.44 ERA at the break) and still be competitive. We had 4 rookies in a row start a week ago.

We don't have the Red Sox's or Yankees offense, to just pound the opponents on the days the starters don't have it. Something is clearly wrong with Brian McCann. at the break, he was hitting .310, and few would have doubted he was the best offensive Catcher in the game (at that time) then he hurt his oblique, and is hitting .197 since the break, and some of that was before getting hurt!

Martin Prado is hitting .265 this year, and has only driven in 56 RBI's which would be easier to hide at 2nd base, than in left. He hit .307 or higher, the previous 3 seasons. So many players not having career years, which usually you need of course, to get in the playoffs... Eric Hinske, 11 HR 51 RBi's in less than 300 AB's last year, 10HR 28 RBI this season. (.261 before break, .181 after) Dan Uggla came on strong in the 2nd have, and leads the club in RBI's...78. Not very impressive when you consider he has 35 HR's. Possible rookie of the year, Freddie Freeman (20 HRs .286, .351 OBP) has 74. And there are many scoring opportunities every day...sorta interesting fact. Chipper Jones is hitting only .240 with no one one (but 13 HR's) but .335 with runners on (but only 4 HR's)

I mentioned before I believe how very overworked the bullpen is.

Eric O'Flaherty, who was injured awhile ago still has been in 75 Games

Jonny Venters 82 games

Craig Kimbrel 77 games

Mo Rivera has never appeared in more than 74 regular season games in any season!

in the immortal words of Jim Mora, Playoffs???

Oh, how could I forget, the next Hank Aaron, Jason Heyward, the JHey kid!

14 HR's 42 RBI's and robust .227 BA in 383 AB's. But hey, he is hitting . 263 in September! <_<

He just turned 22, so he's clearly not done, but he is not the impressive kid who had 10 HR's and 38 RBI's at the end of May, 2010.

He has mastered grounding weakly to 2nd base.

Meanwhile, the Marlins have Mike Stanton, who may be THE power hitter of the next decade. Did anyone see the 2 homers he hit the other night? One down the left field line at Joe Robbie was in the 3rd deck, ABOVE the exit, then he hit one supposedly even further to left center. Amazing...

Edited by BERIGAN

Even though I'm at a point in my life where baseball is mainly entertainment rather than anything life and death, I was happy to see the Yanks clinch the AL East, especially after after everyone - especially everyone here - had given them up for dead during spring training. Anything that might happen after this will be gravy.

I just hope that all of the Yankee fans here will keep denigrating the pitching staff. Your nay saying has worked pretty well so far this season. :D

P.S. -- Please Joe, send A.J. home for the post season. (That's my only nay saying about the pitching staff. I believe that he's had only one decent start over the past 2+ months, so I doubt if my nay saying will have a positive effect.)

Even though I'm at a point in my life where baseball is mainly entertainment rather than anything life and death, I was happy to see the Yanks clinch the AL East, especially after after everyone - especially everyone here - had given them up for dead during spring training. Anything that might happen after this will be gravy.

I just hope that all of the Yankee fans here will keep denigrating the pitching staff. Your nay saying has worked pretty well so far this season. :D

P.S. -- Please Joe, send A.J. home for the post season. (That's my only nay saying about the pitching staff. I believe that he's had only one decent start over the past 2+ months, so I doubt if my nay saying will have a positive effect.)

You know, he would be a very expensive 7th/8th inning guy, but with his "Stuff" he would probably do great, could close, but that's not going to happen there. Put Chamberlain in the rotation, and him in the bullpen.

Jsngry: the Angels are now as close to the Red Sox in the WC chase as the Rays are. I still think Boston makes the playoffs; the math remains in their favor, with a 2.5 game lead and only 6 games left. (And I still keep thinking about the 2000 Yankees; which Boston team will show up in the playoffs, the April-September team or the May-August team? Though there's some delicious irony right now in their relying on us to keep TB in their rearview mirror, I'm by no means writing them off as a club that could storm through the playoffs, if they find their summer groove again.) Still, you're right, L.A. is really pouring it on in the homestretch. I'm also interested to see what happens with Detroit and Texas vis-a-vis final W-L record, as that will determine who NY faces in the ALDS. Verlander worries me, that's for sure, but Texas worries me too.

You know, he would be a very expensive 7th/8th inning guy, but with his "Stuff" he would probably do great, could close, but that's not going to happen there. Put Chamberlain in the rotation, and him in the bullpen.

Chamberlain's recovering from Tommy John surgery, so he won't be available until next season.

With Burnett's control problems, I would hate to see him in late relief. That wouldn't happen with Robertson and Mariano in the bullpen. Both have ERA's under 2, and Robertson's is close to 1.

The Angels have had very mediocre - at best - offense baseball all season - up until the last month or so. Their starters are what kept them close to the Rangers while the Rangers fumbled with injuries and inept bullpens and recurring brain farts, all of which now seem to be more or less resolved just in time to see the Angels offense come alive in a pretty noticeable way. If you're looking for "narrative" this is the team with the perfect makings of it, especially with Vernon Wells, scorned by damn near everybody as a total underachieving waste, has come alive the last week or so (check it out, for real). All the makings are there for a real "story".

Me, all I want now (other than for Nellie Cruz to get his timing back) is just getting the division clinched before I have to leave town for a week on Saturday. That means either Ranger wins today & tomorrow & 1 Angel loss during the same spell or 1 Ranger win today or tomorrow and 2 Angel losses during that same spell. The latter scenario is most unlikley, and the former scenario would call for a charitable crack in the Angels armor that does not seem to be trending favorably now.

I've attended or watched on TV all but two games this season, but have to leave town for family matters on Saturday. Is there something you can get on your smartphone that allows you to get your teams' radio broadcasts live? I'm setting the DVR for every night I'm away, but dammit, I've invested in this season, and to miss the payoff (assuming that there is one...) is just kinda pissing me off.

Otherwise...yeah, look out for Vernon Wells. If it happened to Cody Ross, it can happen to him, and maybe even more easily!

I've attended or watched on TV all but two games this season, but have to leave town for family matters on Saturday. Is there something you can get on your smartphone that allows you to get your teams' radio broadcasts live? I'm setting the DVR for every night I'm away, but dammit, I've invested in this season, and to miss the payoff (assuming that there is one...) is just kinda pissing me off.

Try MLB At Bat 11. Pretty cheap, like $20 if I remember right. I listen to our local radio broadcasts of Washington Nationals games. There's a premium version that includes video, but the cheap version has radio and a graphical interface doing play by play, with brief video of highlights and spectacular plays.

Edited by Neal Pomea

Thanks. Stupid question - do you have to order it from the phone you want to use it on?

Yes, I think so. Not a stupid question at all. When I got the free Amazon Cloud Player, I loaded it to my PC and my phone at the same time. Some programs allow that. I didn't see how to do that with this program, but maybe you can.

If you have a Droid phone, you have an icon on the screen for something like a marketplace for applications. Just open it and search on MLB AT BAT 11, or even MLB, and you should be able to find it. Can't help you with an iPhone or any other brand. There's always someone knowledgeable who can help at the store where you bought the phone, if you bought it in person.

Edited by Neal Pomea

Ghost, any chance??? I'd say there is about a 90% chance the Cards or even the Giants (pretty long shot now with so few games left) overtake the braves. :(

Kind of hard to to lose Jair Jurrjens (1.87 ERA at the all star break) and Tommy Hanson (2.44 ERA at the break) and still be competitive. We had 4 rookies in a row start a week ago.

Your luck might change this weekend in Washington. I am going to Friday night's game, weather permitting. Strasburg pitching. But we are due for some losses. Been winning more often lately than we can sustain. If we keep up like this, we will get close to .500. I can't see it!

Out of left-field premonition here...

Rangers clinch the AL West sometime this weekend with no help from the voracious Angels, who are refusing to lose any more than is apparently absolutely necessary to force the Rangers to keep winning.

With Wash's on-the-record preference for having rested players taking precedence over the fight for home field advantage, the Rangers meet the Angels for the last three games of the regular season, games which will mean nothing (yet) to the Rangers, but everything to the Angels as they angle for the Wild Card slot.

Don't anybody look now, but the 2011 Poster Child for Wasted, Horribly Bad Contracts, Mr. Vernon Wells, has all of a sudden come out of his season long hibernation and is hitting the ball with vim, vigor, vitality, and, yes, power. Vernon Wells will lead the Angels to a three game sweep of the Rangers in regular season games 160, 161., & 162, lead his season-long uninspired and uninspiring Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim to the America League wild card slot, past the collapsing Red Sox and the just-not-quite-enough-to-get-there Rays. And after that, all bets are off.

Wait and see - Vernon Wells - the season-long 'buked and scorned Vernon Wells - is going to be the most out-of-nowhere post-season hero and defiler of dreams and expectations since....Cody Ross!

Or just as likely after today's blown lead/loss (thanks Colby Lewis, Darren Olive, & Mike Adams, just when we start to feel good about you guys....AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!)- the Angels stay hot, keep winning (another one in Toronto tonight & three at home against Oakland) , the Rangers fail to sweep Seattle at home this weekend and go into Anaheim for the last three needing to win one or two.

It won't happen. Vernon Wells will see to that.

I have been cured of my Vernon Wells fever-dream, thank the lord and the Illuminati High Priestess Tuesday Weld.

Still a chance to clinch at home tomorrow just not at the immediate end of a winning game, not unless rain delays or extreme extra innings and an Angles loss to Gio Gonzales all happen to be aligned, which is where Illuminati High Priestess Tuesday Weld might get back into it again.

Jsngry--I just read that if Detroit and Texas finish with the same W-L record, Detroit gets the tiebreaker for better playoff positioning, meaning that the Tigers would face Boston (assuming Boston does indeed hang on to win the wild-card, which I think they will), and the Yankees would go up against the Rangers in the ALDS. It also looks like NY may yet again be looking at a possible three-man rotation for the playoffs--CC, Nova, and To Be Determined, followed by CC on short rest and Nova on regular rest. But I'm concerned about the way we'll be using CC... he's been in a six-man rotation of late, which is not good at all for him (stats bear that out), and then suddenly will be going to pitching on three days' rest. I think a NY-Texas series would be a hell of a rematch, actually.