2011 MLB Season

That's weird. According to baseballreference.com, Nova has good run support, but it's only 6.38 per game. That's quite a discrepancy.

If you read the article you'll figure out that its his run support over his current 12 game winning streak, so its not season-long 9 and a half runs per game.

But it is enormous run support over a streak that has produced 80% of his wins on the season. He wasn't so spectacular when he wasn't getting this many runs per game.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MLB expands use of instant replay a.k.a. Cowboy Joe West strikes again.

This afternoon Phillies slugger Hunter Pence hit a fly ball to the right field wall which a fan clearly interfered with. However, it was ruled a double by the umps on the field. Marlins manager Jack McKeon protested that the fan interfered so Cowboy Joe took the umps inside to look at the replay. After review West ruled that the fan had interfered and that Pence was now out. Now Cowboy Joe got that part of the call right - the fan clearly interfered w/ the Marlins player that was attempting to make the catch. However, he misapplied the instant replay rule. It can only be used on home run calls and since the play in question was ruled a double on the field there should have been no review.

And just as I predicted it has started and continues. Two series against the Yankees and Rangers, 4 losses. Game and a half deficit, hasn't been that big since July 5. With the Yankees playing Baltimore and Boston facing a Toronto team smarting from a Yankee shellacking, the deficit will only rise before the Yankees go to LA and Seattle starting next weekend.

And it will only do the MFs proud to win the division despite such futility against the Red Sox. If they'd only played them a little tougher, they'd win the division by six or eight instead of the three games that will separate them.

Let the MFY get Verlander. Maybe if they are really lucky the Sox can manage to win in Arlington in October.

I'm starting to think this is going to be the Rangers year. I don't see anyone in the AL beating them. The Phillies and maybe the Braves might beat them but it will be a 7 game series if they do.

You'd be less inclined to think that if you had watched them over the entire season. As awesome as their best moments are, their bad moments are just as mind-numbingly...unnecessary. And you never know which will show up when, especially when it comes to pitching, starting and relief. And afaic, pitching is the bottom line - you get it and you win, you don't and you gotta get lucky. There's often enough times when I'd rather be lucky than good, but the postseason is not one of them, although luck is always welcome!

Besides, if we haven't clinched the division before the last three games of the season vs the Angels in Anaheim, there's no guaranty that we even make the playoffs. Magic number currently at 19 with 21 games left, and the schedule still favors the Angels (although next weekend, they have the Yankees for three), so even though it looks good now, if everything over every game went according to how it looked before it was actually over, the Rangers could easily have 10 more wins than they currently do, and then I would feel pretty good about agreeing with your speculation. But that's not the way baseball go... or maybe it is...

On a significantly more confident note, kudos to Adrian Beltre for getting career hit 2000 today. Having both him and Michael Young on the same team was expected to create some problems (and easily could have). But both men's professionalism, maturity, and overall skill sets have ended up bring out the best in both, and quite often enough, in the team. Here's hoping that the possibility of both reaching - or at least getting entertainingly close to - 3000 in Rangers uniforms ends up being at least semi-plausible in the face of age, hamstring issues, and roster/payroll realities.

With the Yankees playing Baltimore...

I am seriously of the opinion that the Orioles should have been shut down for the season effective September 1. That such a consistently ineffective organization be allowed to affect the outcome of so many teams' seasons is not an idea about which I can find even a hint of favor.

Of course I jest, but only because it's not a viable business proposition...

This afternoon Phillies slugger Hunter Pence hit a fly ball to the right field wall which a fan clearly interfered with. However, it was ruled a double by the umps on the field. Marlins manager Jack McKeon protested that the fan interfered so Cowboy Joe took the umps inside to look at the replay. After review West ruled that the fan had interfered and that Pence was now out. Now Cowboy Joe got that part of the call right - the fan clearly interfered w/ the Marlins player that was attempting to make the catch. However, he misapplied the instant replay rule. It can only be used on home run calls and since the play in question was ruled a double on the field there should have been no review.

Amazingly I will defend the normally execrable West.

From the MLB.com report:

"instant replay will apply only to home run calls -- whether they are fair or foul, whether they have left the playing field, or whether they have been subject to fan interference. The decision to use instant replay will be made by the umpire crew chief, who also will make the determination as to whether or not a call should be reversed."

Clearly it was a case of fan interference on a potential home run ball and absolutely falls under the rules as they currently exist.

Think about it in an only slightly different situation: Asshat in the Phillies shirt deflects the ball into the stands, and the call is "home run". They shouldn't take a look at that and determine that it was fan interference instead?

That was the Jeffrey Maier playoff game, and while it took them ten years, its infamy was a big reason why "fan interference" was written into the rules as something that can be reviewed.

Good on you, Country Joe!

I'm starting to think this is going to be the Rangers year. I don't see anyone in the AL beating them. The Phillies and maybe the Braves might beat them but it will be a 7 game series if they do.

Only if the Braves bullpen can start games. Tommy Hanson...slight tear("normal" wear) in his rotator cuff. I'd really like to see him not pitch again this year, but no, we will see him making high stress pitches in playoffs the braves are quite unlikely to go far in. Jair Jurrjens, Cy Young candidate before the all star game, now battling a bad knee and looking terrible. So that leaves, gutsy 36 year old sinkerballer Tim Hudson , Gutsy sinkerballer 38 year old Derek Lowe, and rookies Mike Minor and Brandon Beachy....don't think that will shut down the Rangers...or Red Sox....the Yankees...

You'd be less inclined to think that if you had watched them over the entire season. As awesome as their best moments are, their bad moments are just as mind-numbingly...unnecessary. And you never know which will show up when, especially when it comes to pitching, starting and relief.

Yep, that's what happens if you follow your team too closely, you see all the mistakes they make, and are convinced that they really suck! ;)

Braves fit that to a tee too. (Two for tea?) We might get swept by the Phils, or might sweep them this week(not very likely, but hey, it could happen) Get swept, and we fans will be convinced we will get swept in the first round of the playoffs, no matter who we play....

Edited by BERIGAN

Amazingly I will defend the normally execrable West.

From the MLB.com report:

"instant replay will apply only to home run calls -- whether they are fair or foul, whether they have left the playing field, or whether they have been subject to fan interference. The decision to use instant replay will be made by the umpire crew chief, who also will make the determination as to whether or not a call should be reversed."

Clearly it was a case of fan interference on a potential home run ball and absolutely falls under the rules as they currently exist.

Think about it in an only slightly different situation: Asshat in the Phillies shirt deflects the ball into the stands, and the call is "home run". They shouldn't take a look at that and determine that it was fan interference instead?

That was the Jeffrey Maier playoff game, and while it took them ten years, its infamy was a big reason why "fan interference" was written into the rules as something that can be reviewed.

Good on you, Country Joe!

Yeah I get all that. Ultimately West made the correct call in ruling fan interference - clearly the fan interfered with the catch - but it was the result of West misinterpreting the rules. The Maier case is different b/c in that case the umps ruled that Jeter hit a homer which, in the opinion of many, was aided by fan interference. My problem is that West used instant replay for a non-instant replay situation. Instant replay, as it stands now, can only be used in cases of home run calls. West used the review to see if the fan had interfered, not with a potential homer, but with a catch. This wasn't a question of a fan aiding/denying a home run to Pence a la Jeter. The play in question was ruled a double. Manuel didn't ask for a home run review. McKeon sure as hell didn't ask for a review to see if it was a homer. He protested b/c he thought the fans had interfered with the catch - which the umps can't review. West was ready to resume the game and only when McKeon came out and started bitching that he decided to take a look.

Since when does anyone need to request a review? Its not just the manager who can do it. Umps also have the power to decide to review, and more importantly home run calls are also non-home run calls.

Back to Maier: What if he interfered, pulled the ball toward him, but his glove hits the wall, ball bounces out, and amazingly, the ump calls it a double.

They can't review that? Are you fucking serious?

This is correct application of the rules and I will bet any amount of money the Phils protest will come to nothing, and Joe West won't be told not to do it again.

Edited by Dan Gould

And the hits keep on coming: Bedard being skipped for his next start as the knee that required surgery is acting up. And now Beckett waited until September 5th for his traditional injury: His right leg, his push-off leg.

They are completely FUCKED.

They will stumble into the wild card if they are lucky before being rudely dismissed in the Division Series.

If anything the advantage is that there isn't a whole heck of a lot of time for the rest of the league to dissect his strengths and weaknesses, which means he may get some key hits on mistake pitches he'll never see in 2012. And didn't he hit both homeruns to right field? Shouldn't even count ... :rolleyes: and if that's what he does I wouldn't go looking for people to pitch him away at Yankee Stadium. Let's see him prove he can handle hard stuff in.

Jesus Montero may be Yankees' best option for playoff DH this October. So, so glad we're finally getting to see this kid hit at MLB level--and so, so glad that the trade to Seattle last year for Cliff Lee fell through, no matter how good a year Lee's having with the Phillies.

Gotta disagree with David on this one. While I'm glad to see Montero get off to such a good start, I'd still rather have Lee in pinstripes. The Yanks with Sabbathia and Lee at the one two would have to be the World Series favorite. With just Sabbathia and a bunch of guys named Moe, another championship a long shot. I'll take good pitching over good hitting any time.

If anything the advantage is that there isn't a whole heck of a lot of time for the rest of the league to dissect his strengths and weaknesses, which means he may get some key hits on mistake pitches he'll never see in 2012. And didn't he hit both homeruns to right field? Shouldn't even count ... :rolleyes: and if that's what he does I wouldn't go looking for people to pitch him away at Yankee Stadium. Let's see him prove he can handle hard stuff in.

He hit two HRs to opposite field--the first 399 feet, the second 396 feet, home runs in just about any right-centerfield in the American League. And yes, what you said about the lack of time for everybody to dissect his strengths and weaknesses is true, but the fact remains that this kid has a lot of raw hitting talent. Biggest question for the Yankees is whether or not he can be at least adequate as a catcher at MLB level, because Tex has first base locked up, and A-Rod may be moving towards much more of a DH role over the next several years.

Anyway, here's a rundown of Montero's two HR at-bats yesterday.

Dave James: yes, if we had Lee this year we'd be looking sweet against Boston in the playoffs with two ace lefties in our rotation (though C.C. hasn't exactly been dominating against the Bosox this year). Still, there's no guarantee that Lee would have stayed with NY, and he's 33, and he would have been locking up $25 million of payroll a year for the next seven seasons if he had stayed. Worst-case scenario would have been that we would have given up Montero to rent Lee for half a season. Given how poorly NY played over the last two months of 2010, I'm not even sure that having Lee could have saved us, though we might have gotten to the World Series. Conversely, btw, this year the team seems to be getting stronger as it heads into the season's homestretch.

Pinstripe Alley blogger comment on the starting pitchers in today's Baltimore-New York game:

Very few pitchers have been worse than Zach Britton recently (7.06 ERA in his last seven starts), but one of them is A.J. Burnett (9.00 ERA).

So far A.J. is winning the battle of mediocrity today.

Edited by ghost of miles