Hot Stove Thread 2011-2012

Posey is catching bullpen right now and the rest of the Giants' starters are on the mend.

Now we wait and see if Brian Sabean can snag a big bat for the 2012 season.

GO Giants!

Rumors of Jose Reyes interest by the Giants. Not a big bat, but he might be a good sparkplug.

I'm curious to see what happens with C.J. Wilson. He did nothing to enhance his standing in the playoffs and World Series.

Don't know much about Reyes, but I'll dig around for a scouting report.

I think CJ, a fan favorite, will stay in Texas. Even though he didn't pick up a WS win, his last outing was superb, IMHO.

Is it possible to be a baseball fan in today's world and NOT know much about Reyes??? He is only one of the most exciting players to watch in the NL. Puleasssse.

For East Coasters, sure.

You know anything about Nate Schierholtz or Brandon Crawford or Madison Bumgarner? They're only the most exciting newcomers to the NL in years. Pul-leeeze.

First of all, Reyes is not anywhere near a newcomer.

Secondly, it's not like you live in Bumfuck, Iowa. In SF, you do receive an extraordinarily high level of news exposure, no?

Actually, I live in the San Joaquin Valley [near Fresno], but I get your point. And no, East Coast ballplayers don't get much noteriety in a West Coast market. Sorry. I don't follow the Nationals much. But if you ask me about any one of the West Coast teams' players I will be happy to tell you about them. Including California, Texas, Washington State, Arizona and Colorado.

Edited by GoodSpeak

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nationals sign again Chien-Ming Wang. Comeback player of the year?

(do they still vote on Comeback player of the year anymore?)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/chien-ming-wang-set-to-re-sign-with-nationals/2011/11/03/gIQAIi1VjM_blog.html

Hope he does well for the Nationals. And :tup to the Nationals for sticking with him through his comeback. Wish the Yankees had done that.

Jim Thome signs with the Phillies for a year: http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111104&content_id=25915372&vkey=news_phi&c_id=phi

As does the article, I gotta wonder what his role will be.

IF Thome can still play some first he might be a hedge against Howard's injury.Otherwise it's strictly pinch hitting.

Goodspeak,

I've heard that Giants were interested in Reyes, who is with the Mets, not Nationals. He is one of the top leadoff hitters today. Triples for him are routine and it's a thrill to watch him get them. Normally hits near 300 although this year won the batting title with around 344. Very strong arm. Generally stays healthy but did have trouble with his hammies this year. Will draw a lot of attention. Mets are unlikely to sign him.

He's not just an east coast player but one of the top ss in baseball. Surprised you don't know who he is. Assume you've heard of Derek Jeter. In case you haven't he's a ss with the Yankees and going to HOF :rolleyes:

Goodspeak,

I've heard that Giants were interested in Reyes, who is with the Mets, not Nationals. He is one of the top leadoff hitters today. Triples for him are routine and it's a thrill to watch him get them. Normally hits near 300 although this year won the batting title with around 344. Very strong arm. Generally stays healthy but did have trouble with his hammies this year. Will draw a lot of attention. Mets are unlikely to sign him.

He's not just an east coast player but one of the top ss in baseball. Surprised you don't know who he is. Assume you've heard of Derek Jeter. In case you haven't he's a ss with the Yankees and going to HOF :rolleyes:

Bad comparison, Brad.

The Yankees are a media oriented team in a huge market; fans everywhere.

The Mets have a a relatively small market share with very little media exposure unless you watch ESPN 24-7-365.

Goody,

Any reaction to the talk of a Lincecum trade for more offense?

Just talk.

I figure Jonathan Sanchez or Madison Bumgarner would be trade bait long before Lincecum.

Edited by GoodSpeak

You beat me to it, Jim:

Giants acquire Melky Cabrera, send lefty Jonathan Sanchez to Royals link

So, we wait and see if that works out for the Giants. Apparently, Volgelsong is staying in the rotation.

Edited by GoodSpeak