BBC4 TV The Scandinavians are back

After a genial (well as genial as murder can be) lolling in the Sicilian sunshine, the grim North returns tonight:

bridge_ep1.jpg

The Bridge

Promised in the next year - Lilyhammer (Norway), Sebastian Bergman (Sweden), The Killing III (the last series), The Killing for Americans II, Wallander for Brits Who Won't Read Subtitles (i.e. Branagh) and, next spring, Borgen II.

Get out the smorgasbord.

I've watched the first episode and it was the usual fare, female cop (surly this time) and partner, body on a bridge , a generous slathering of Norse-angst and what look like potential red herrings.

I didn't feel compelled to immediately watch episode two, and how it will develop, well or badly, is a toss up.

My verdict, based only on the first dollop, is that it's worth watching. :tup

I've watched the first episode and it was the usual fare, female cop (surly this time) and partner, body on a bridge , a generous slathering of Norse-angst and what look like potential red herrings.

I didn't feel compelled to immediately watch episode two, and how it will develop, well or badly, is a toss up.

How do you get to see these so early?

I thought 'The Killing II' was a bit slow to get going but by episode 4 I was utterly gripped. Sometimes you need to accept the slow burn; otherwise you get that whizz-bang thing every 2 minutes that is so common.

After a genial (well as genial as murder can be) lolling in the Sicilian sunshine, the grim North returns tonight:

bridge_ep1.jpg

The Bridge

Promised in the next year - Lilyhammer (Norway), Sebastian Bergman (Sweden), The Killing III (the last series), The Killing for Americans II, Wallander for Brits Who Won't Read Subtitles (i.e. Branagh) and, next spring, Borgen II.

Get out the smorgasbord.

Who would have thought that subtitled TV programmes would have become so popular over here. Makes you proud to be British!

'Inspector Montalbano' was an excellent watch and we're still ploughing our way through the first series of The Killing which I got as a box set for my birthday.

How do you get to see these so early?

I thought 'The Killing II' was a bit slow to get going but by episode 4 I was utterly gripped. Sometimes you need to accept the slow burn; otherwise you get that whizz-bang thing every 2 minutes that is so common.

Bev

Internet + fibre-optic broadband + external HDD + HighDef media player + tele :)

Edited by kinuta

Great first two episodes. This will keep me going for the next few weeks!

She is very strange. The Radio Times article alludes to autism/aspergers but says the film makers deliberately kept that vague.

Apparently it has also been bought for a US remake. Intrigued as to where the international bridge will be. I assume there must be some state boundaries with a big bridge crossing them.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Great first two episodes. This will keep me going for the next few weeks!

She is very strange. The Radio Times article alludes to autism/aspergers but says the film makers deliberately kept that vague.

Apparently it has also been bought for a US remake. Intrigued as to where the international bridge will be. I assume there must be some state boundaries with a big bridge crossing them.

Finished off the series. No spoilers but I grew to really like the odd Saga character. She shows some true grit and tenacity as the story develops.

b7bearticle-2133579-12B6DCEF000005DC-815_468x388.jpg

Edited by kinuta