Bunny Berigan Mosaic

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it has been a few years, but I seem to recall that it started kind of slow, and has some of that ..And then the 6 year old Rowland said, "Gee Mom, do I have to go to church?" I hate when you read a Non-fiction book and they start to imagine how conversations went....but once you get past that, it's pretty good...the author Robert Dupuis, does a good job of conveying the excitement other musicians felt hearing Bunny for the first time, or just how they would stay up late as kids to hear a broadcast....and there were a few bandmembers still alive to interview of course( I think clarinetist Joe Dixon is still alive, but not sure)

Lee Wiley lost a little luster in my eyes, since it sounded like she really enjoyed getting him really drunk( I have read she wasn't so nice to Jess Stacy either)....some things I would rather not know about people :rolleyes:

I did like the anecdotal tales, stuff that sounds like if they made a film from the book, no one would believe...like him hitting a bucket of golfballs out of his hotel window one at a time, or the band being in the deep south, and because a diner would not serve the black "bandboy" (Egad, that is hard to type, but this was the 30's!) Bunny first, and the rest of the band took the top off of every salt shaker, dumped the contents, and left.

The author also makes the point that back in the late 30's/early 40's ,A.A. hadn't really caught on, plus the fact EVERYONE drank, that there was little help/hope for an alcoholic then.....I find downward spiral stories pretty sad as well, and reading about a head on collision with fate is not my cup of tea, but all and all, if you like him, it is worth reading. I felt the author came into his own about half way thru the book....

Ghost, let us know what you think..........of the book that is! ;)

The set is now on the Mosaic site. I've just ordered my copy.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

bubbly.gifbubbly.gifbubbly.gifbubbly.gifbubbly.gifbubbly.gifspotman.gifflower.gif

bouncy.gif

I guess folks are not surprised I ordered it, eh? :)

Edited by BERIGAN

Well.......a quick check of the discography, there are going to be a few vocals (Few meaning many!) But some will be good with Boswell sisters, Bing, Billie, Mildred, Midge Williams...I think Lon, Ghost, PD and others will see a fair bit that they already have in their collection...a couple of interesting things

Highlights from the set include:

-Rare sessions featuring Fred Rich, Ben Selvin, Ed Kirkeby and the many ARC house band sessions enlivened by Berigan solos;

-Six sides with the Boswell Sisters and six more with Connie Boswell, including a previously unknown alternate on “You’ll Never Get to Heaven That Way;”

-Studio pick-up dates with Billie Holiday, Mildred Bailey, Bing Crosby, The Dorseys, Billie Holiday, Dick McDonough, The Mound City Blowers, Red Norvo, Adrian Rollini. Lee Wiley, and Glenn Miller leading his very first date;

-Berigans’ “For Theater Use Only” recordings, never marketed at the time and reserved for movie house play, which are extremely rare.

-Five previously unissued performances include two from a Mildred Bailey Parlophone date and one from Bunny’s session on Parlorphone and one from one of his Brunswick sessions

Hadn't heard about the Theater Use only recordings, was anyone else? I have a fairly scratchy shoestring LP somewheres that has some rare (And very worn) tracks that were 30 second solos, recorded to test equipment, or something like that(Damn, need to find the lps to make more sense!)

Also,

BUNNY BERIGAN AND HIS BOYS: Bunny Berigan (tp, vcl), Artie Shaw (cl), Forrest Crawford (ts), Joe Bushkin (p), Tommy Felline (g), Mort Stulmaker (B), Stan King (d), Chick Bullock (vcl).

NYC, April 13, 1936

19012-1 A Melody From The Sky (CB-vcl) Voc 3224

19013-1 I Can’t Get Started (BB-vcl) Voc 3225

19014-1 A Little Bit Later On (CB-vcl) Voc 3224

19015-1 Rhythm Saved The World (CB-vcl) Voc 3225

Note: Epic LG 3109 (LP) and Classics 734 (CD) has edited versions of matrices 19012 and 19015

Edited versions?????

Oh Bery Gin this so BORING.... :g

but my order is in.. getting this collected like this is a plus... what Mosaic should be about.. with older collections.

Do you think there's enough here to Keep Berry quiet fir awhile... :g

Don't neglect the truck though.

BUNNY BERIGAN AND HIS BOYS: Bunny Berigan (tp, vcl), Artie Shaw (cl), Forrest Crawford (ts), Joe Bushkin (p), Tommy Felline (g), Mort Stulmaker (B), Stan King (d), Chick Bullock (vcl).

NYC, April 13, 1936

Note: Epic LG 3109 (LP) and Classics 734 (CD) has edited versions of matrices 19012 and 19015

Edited versions?????

When Epic issued these on lp they cut out the Chick Bullock vocals (not a bad idea). Classics reissued these versions in their Berigan series, but issued the complete versions in the set called "Complementary Tracks".

I just pulled out the Bunny Berigan bio from my bookshelf and am going to begin reading it in anticipation of the forthcoming set:

1513086.gif

As luck would have it, I just picked this up last weekend on a bookbuying expedition to Grass Valley/Nevada City. At the rate I've been reading things lately I'll probably not finish it before the Mosaic Berigan arrives on my doorstep. But ya never know...

NYC, April 13, 1936

Edited versions?????

When Epic issued these on lp they cut out the Chick Bullock vocals (not a bad idea). Classics reissued these versions in their Berigan series, but issued the complete versions in the set called "Complementary Tracks".

Hey, lay of the Chickster man! He's no Irving Kaufman! :D

And the white of one of his eyes turned black, just before he was to go to hollywood, how weird is that? I also read in the New Grove Dictonary of Jazz that he was on 3000 recordings!!!! Do yo think they meant to say 300?

Chuck, you did answer a question I had on the AAJ about why Chick was listed as being on many of the tracks, but the songs had no vocals! Thanks!

Edited by BERIGAN

This sounds interesting for Berigan fanatics. Buried in the discography notes:

(Bozy) White is the premier Berigan discographer for over 50 years and without his input this discography would have been riddled with errors and omissions. His long awaited Bunny Berigan discography (which will also devote an entire chapter to recordings previously thought to contain Berigan - some 600 titles!), is scheduled for publication in the year 2003, and will be offered privately through Bozy White, Box 10208, Oakland, Ca. 94610-0208.

Ghost, that is interesting! Bozy is mentioned from time to time in the book you will get thru, eventually! ;) I don't need to find out any more tracks he is not on...I saw that the Jack Purvis set has a Boswell sisters song that was always credited to Berigan (It's the Girl?) 600 tracks that he is not on? I had heard Berigan was on around 600 tracks total...will be interesting to see if that number goes up, or down!

I can tell him most of the time with an open horn, but a few tracks muted I have heard I could not swear it was him....I have read that Manny Klein was confused with him sometimes but Manny seems to play more NPM's (notes per minute :rolleyes: ) so I can spot him...Purvis fooled me though...

Interesting sub topic. I don't really hear a close similarity between Bunny and Purvis. Bunny has a fatter sound and has a more relaxed style.

I, too, would enjoy hearing the sound alike or disputed tracks.

One thing to keep in mind about record dates is that there are a sizeable number of undocumented dates . It's like that now and it was like that 70 and 80 years ago. We'll never know the number of recordings any of these guys played on because they were cranking out every session someone asked them to do...and a LARGE number of those were probably very anonymous sounding although some may have good solos here or there.

The final (6th) side of the Time/Life Teschmacher box was comprised of recordings Tesch was suspected of being on. there weren't enough confirmed sides to fill 3 lps.

• 3 weeks later...

Just broke the bank and put my pre-order in the post. Note to self: Next time a Mosaic comes out where you don't know anything about an artist, do not read a bio on said artist which greatly praises said artist's work. :D

Seriously, though, if Satchmo named Bunny as his favorite trumpeter (as he did in a letter to Downbeat back in the 30s), how much higher praise can one get?

Really looking forward to this. :excited:

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this update on the "upcoming releases" page: "The set is expected to ship on or about June 18th." Not sure if this is "news" or not but I thought I'd post it anyways. I had heard it was supposed to ship on the 16th, but what's another two days, I guess.

Just saw this update on the "upcoming releases" page: "The set is expected to ship on or about June 18th." Not sure if this is "news" or not but I thought I'd post it anyways. I had heard it was supposed to ship on the 16th, but what's another two days, I guess.

They keep delaying, and delaying...I want to hear all those crappy vocals, now! :wacko:

Guest Mnytime

Just how much crappy vocals will there be? ;)

By the way, didn't Satchmo say Bix was his favorite trumpet player? I know I have seen several people listed as Satchmo's favorite.

Just how much crappy vocals will there be? ;)

By the way, didn't Satchmo say Bix was his favorite trumpet player? I know I have seen several people listed as Satchmo's favorite.

I shudder to think Mnytime! Hopefully there won't be too many from Irving Kaufman! I will still be getting it, no matter what!

I don't know if Louie said that Bix was his favorite, but he might have...there was a 1941 downbeat that had a page with Louis said that his Bunny was the best player, next to himself, of course! He might have been trying to give Bunny a bit of a lift at that time, because things were not going too well physically, or financially at the time,(He died in 1942) but not to take anything away from either of them, they had a true mutual admiration thing going on, in fact, Bunny sat in and played muted trumpet in the background on a few of Louie's Decca recordings in the 30's...this quote was all I could find, sounds like what I recall the article saying as well... I have a scan of the downbeat article somewhere, and if I find it, I will add it...

"I've always admired Bunny for his tone, his soul, his technique, and his sense of phrasing....To me, Bunny can do no wrong in music."

http://www.riverwalk.org/proglist/showprom...es_of_swing.htm