Bunny Berigan Mosaic

I've been thrilled with every single prebop release Mosaic has come out with: keep 'em coming Scott!

Yep, when it comes to this earlier material, Mr Wenzel is The Man. In the past I tended to avoid the early jazz sets but there's a great sense of discovery with sets such as this - and the inner anorak in me just loves the scholarly and completist presentation.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy, I have most of the material in the Mosaic outside the Mosiac. . . but man it sounds better in the Mosiac, and the booklet is great.

Lon, I'm sure about that!

But the Berigan box came out at a time when I decided I would not buy the same material twice. I still make exceptions for a dozen favorite giants (you can guess the majority of those) but still abstain for others even when they are as worthy of interest as Berigan. I try to stick to the decision -_-

Guy, I have most of the material in the Mosaic outside the Mosiac. . . but man it sounds better in the Mosiac, and the booklet is great.

Lon, I'm sure about that!

But the Berigan box came out at a time when I decided I would not buy the same material twice. I still make exceptions for a dozen favorite giants (you can guess the majority of those) but still abstain for others even when they are as worthy of interest as Berigan. I try to stick to the decision -_-

Hey I totally understand!

And I have the same aspirations. . .and fall short as well.

• 8 years later...

The excellent "Bill Dodge" transcriptions are in fact in print on cd, on the Circle label by George H. Buck.

dodge.jpg

Finally picked up this CD after being on my list since Lon's post here. Excellent recordings, a lot of the material Benny Goodman was recording at Columbia in 1934 (much of that with Jack Teagarden) but with a different band. Bunny Berigan is excellent throughout, nice to hear him in this format.