2013 Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

rostasi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Rush getting in, but what in the heck did Heart ever do after Steamboat Annie? and even that album stunk to high heaven. What. A. Joke.

I'm not much on Heart as far as the body of their work, but as far as pop-rock goes, I thought Steamboat Annie was excellent. Much better than the overrated Fleetwood Mac albums of the time. (Yeah, I know I stand out like a sore thumb on that one; what can I say?)

I don't know that I've ever actually knowingly heard Rush.

Seriously.

I could believe this. You may have once heard the song below sometime after 1980. You only need to hear about the first 12 seconds or so.

If not that than try "Spirit Of The Radio" from the same album, as it tended to be played all over the place.

Ok, I have now knowingly heard Rush. For 12 seconds! :g

:lol: An earlier song "Fly By Night" was used for a VW commercial that was shown during the MLB playoffs and still gets some play during NFL games. It's the one where the driver is waiting at a traffic light and starts air drumming to the song. Eventually he's discovered by people in the crosswalk. As Chuck said "Oh the humanity."

A comedy from 2009 with Paul Rudd & Jason Segal called I Love You, Man heavily features Rush music as the two guys bond to it.

The band's music exposure as above has been higher in the past few years in ways I never would have imagined when my best friend's older brother was playing his 2112 8 track.

Edited by Quincy

Geddy Lee's voice and bass playing are the only thing Rush has going for it.

So you're neutral on Neil? 'cause Geddy Lee's voice can't possibly be a positive. I've heard better sounds after stepping on a cat's tail...

His voice is unique and I dig it. Neil's ok, Alex is derivative. All their musical influences seem to be British rock bands and any classical, jazz or otherwise only make brief appearances.

I think Alex gets dismissed unfairly. Sure, he's not a "groundbreaking" guitarist by any stretch of the imagination, however his is an excellent ROCK guitarist. He's written tons of very catchy riffs over the years and I love his solos. If you listen to his playing on tracks like Xanadu or La Villa Strangiato I don't think his talent is in question.

Plus, in the grand scheme of things the most important element of Rush is that the combination of these 3 players together created a band who has a unique sound and cannot be mistaken for any other group.

Edited by Shawn