manti manti manti!!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beg everyone's pardon here, but if you think Woodson didn't deserve the Heisman, you obviously did not watch his collegiate career.

Please remind us again what the Heisman is "allegedly" supposed to be awarded for?...and just where "career" has anything to do with it?

With all that was going that year, or the vast majority of years....those that should have won it and didn't.

If you even get into "careers"....he doesn't even register in comparison to those just on the defensive side that should have won it.

Was he even the best defensive player that year?

Is there anyone that really doesn't think the Heisman is the sports version of the the Grammys and Oscars?

Edited by Blue Train

The most grating part of your personality is your insistence on commenting on things you are completely unfamiliar with.

I watched him play all throughout his collegiate career. I've been watching football rather intently for 32 years now. Longer than you've been alive, IIRC.

I know the game extremely well, and I consider myself highly qualified in evaluating good players from bad.

Please move on.

I beg everyone's pardon here, but if you think Woodson didn't deserve the Heisman, you obviously did not watch his collegiate career.

Saw him play at the U. of M. He was something else.

His college game can only be compared to Deion Sanders pro career in that he could completely take control of a game all by himself.

It could be argued that he was the most dominant college player every year he played.

The leading candidates that year (hey, why not Ryan Leaf?):

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/awards/heisman-1997.html

A Peyton Manning versus Woodson debate (click on those Woodson highlights, especially the interception):

http://www.lostlettermen.com/did-peyton-manning-deserve-97-heisman/

Thank you for proving my point on how much the Heisman is up there with the Grammys and Oscars.

P.S. On that interception....there is no evidence at all that it actually would be considered one from any angle anyone can find for it. Was it amazingly athletic, yes....was it really an interception?

Once again....what exactly is the reason for the Heisman? and taking away all the media hype involved...was he really even the best defensive player that year? Would he have even won if he wasn't on kick returns or eventually put him in as WR,...which once again shows how much of joke the Heisman happens to be.

P.P.S.

Reading who are Heisman winners is like reading who won the Best recording/Picture in Grammys, or Oscars.

Mostly hype, marketing and most importantly WTF?

http://www.heisman.com/index.php/heismanWinners

Edited by Blue Train

Wow let's whine and cry about subjective awards because that will make us look smart and "in the know", because we're crushingly desperate to be the focal point of every conversation.

Never mind that we never saw any of those players play that year.

Very immature.

And for an award you feel is a complete sham, you sure do expend a lot of emotion protesting who won it.

Edited by Scott Dolan

"P.S. On that interception....there is no evidence at all that it actually would be considered one from any angle anyone can find for it. Was it amazingly athletic, yes....was it really an interception?"

College rules are that for an interception/reception one needs to have only one foot in bounds, not two as in the pros. You can't see that that's the case here?

"P.S. On that interception....there is no evidence at all that it actually would be considered one from any angle anyone can find for it. Was it amazingly athletic, yes....was it really an interception?"

College rules are that for an interception/reception one needs to have only one foot in bounds, not two as in the pros. You can't see that that's the case here?

I know the rule difference. My point was you can't even see if that foot was inbounds.

Because all of your posts scream it.

If you don't like subjective awards, which almost all of them are, then don't pay attention to them. That's what grown ups do. It's a better alternative than acting like you're an expert on a subject you're obviously unfamiliar with. You weren't even familiar with the difference rules of possession.

I'd encourage you to stick with politics and music. Also your rubber/glue rebuttal did give me a chuckle.

I know the rule difference. My point was you can't even see if that foot was inbounds.

But was there any doubt in the announcer's call, any controversy about the play?

But was there any doubt in the announcer's call, any controversy about the play?

No, there was absolutely no controversy. Especially considering the ref is standing only a few feet from him, AND looking directly at his foot as it comes down.

And to most everyone who watched him play, there was no controversy surrounding his Heisman, either. Vols fans whined and carried on, but the simple fact is that when Peyton had to step up in his big game, he fell flat. Whereas Woodson played even bigger in big games. Woodson was the best all around player in the NCAA that year.

I honestly think part of the problem is perception based on professional careers. Woodson's professional career got off to a slow and somewhat insignificant start. He's only really come on in the latter part of it.

While Manning has pretty much been a future Hall of Famer from the second he stepped on the field in Indianapolis.