Ellery Eskelin Trio - New York II

Stefan Wood

It is an excellent recording as is the first recording by this same trio. IMO Eskelin is one of the most interesting tenor saxophonists around and I think I have confessed my Gerald Cleaver groupie status here before. It is also a good way to get introduced to Eskelin for those who are reluctant to dive into his more boundary pushing releases as it concentrates on standards. Good stuff!

Edited by relyles

The new recording does not really have many up-tempo tunes.

But Steve, from your posts I get the sense you prefer your music at full blast most of the time anyway. :)

I'm a big Eskelin fan but I think he's better when he plays uptempo or free or out than when he's playing ballads.

Fwiw one ballad every other set is a-ok with me. More than that and I'm pining for groove and fire

• 2 weeks later...

The new recording does not really have many up-tempo tunes.

But Steve, from your posts I get the sense you prefer your music at full blast most of the time anyway. :)

I'm a big Eskelin fan but I think he's better when he plays uptempo or free or out than when he's playing ballads.

Fwiw one ballad every other set is a-ok with me. More than that and I'm pining for groove and fire

My closest friend, who I've attended hundreds of concerts with, practically hates it when a ballad is played.

Somewhat like you that he' LOVES the drummers and wants to see them work out all the time.

The only guy he's every likes playing brushes is Elvin Jones, who could get those crackin' when he wanted to.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know whether either of these "Trio New York" albums are still available?

I can't find copies of them on either Amazon or ebay and the website for Ellery Eskelin's Prime Source Records doesn't seem to be around any more.

I think this will work.

http://home.earthlink.net/~eskelin/Site/Ellery%20Eskelin.html

Thanks a lot for that, jhoots.

Seems that Google can't find the site using "Prime Source Records" which must be a bit worrying for him...or not! This must mean he's only selling via mail-order and not using the normal on-line retail sites...ah, well....

BTW has anyone bought directly from his site.....all OK?

Does anyone know whether either of these "Trio New York" albums are still available?

I can't find copies of them on either Amazon or ebay and the website for Ellery Eskelin's Prime Source Records doesn't seem to be around any more.

I think this will work.

http://home.earthlink.net/~eskelin/Site/Ellery%20Eskelin.html

Thanks a lot for that, jhoots.

Seems that Google can't find the site using "Prime Source Records" which must be a bit worrying for him...or not! This must mean he's only selling via mail-order and not using the normal on-line retail sites...ah, well....

BTW has anyone bought directly from his site.....all OK?

No problems here in the US.

Don't know what shipping to the UK will be.

No problems here in the US.

Don't know what shipping to the UK will be.

$9.45!!!!!

I'm afraid that's a bit too rich for me.....I'll wait until I see a used one on a UK retail site.

The recent increase in US postal charges to the UK must be having a significant impact on sales.

Edited by Head Man

• 7 months later...

Ordered a copy of this yesterday. The only other Eskelin i currently have in my collection is Premonition, the solo disc from '93, a fine album. Previously i dug The Sun Died when i borrowed it from the library and i've often dug Eskelin as a sideman but i've never really connected with the trio w/ Andrea Parkins and Jim Black, and when ever i get a burst of enthusiasm and look to check out some more of his stuff that's the stuff that comes up and i grudgingly move on.

I thought about getting this album last year after being knocked out by Eskelin's playing on Harris Eisenstadt's The Destructive Element but for whatever reason i held off on pulling the trigger. I think this'll be right up my alley at the moment. There's a really interesting, and long, interview with Eskelin from around the time the album came out here: http://dothemath.typepad.com/dtm/interview-with-ellery-eskelinby-jacob-wunsch.html

• 3 weeks later...