BFT#115 Discussion Thread

felser

Thom, you're about 15 years shy of me - I'll be 59 next month, started college in fall of '72. and got into this music that first semester, big bang via 'A Love Supreme'. 'Ghetto Music' is a heck of an introduction for a four year old!

Indeed it was. Probably explains a lot about me as an adult. ;)

I got the chance to do a couple of gigs with Eddie about... eesh... 7 years ago. Tim (webbcity) was on those, as well. Good times.

What is interesting to me is that I am close to Felser's age, and was getting into jazz at the same time, and thought that I had pretty much learned about the new releases of the 1970s as they were coming out, but most of his BFT was unknown to me. It's humbling. There is always much more to learn,

Edited by Hot Ptah

What is interesting to me is that I am close to Felser's age, and was getting into jazz at the same time, and thought that I had pretty much learned about the new releases of the 1970s as they were coming out, but most of his BFT was unknown to me. It's humbling. There is always much more to learn,

I was blessed to hang out at Jerry Gordon's Third Street Jazz back in the day, had access to a lot of amazing stuff. For instance, the entire Black Jazz catalog as $.99 cutouts. Article excerpt below. I also had an amazing guy at Franklin Music who turned me onto a lot of great stuff like Charles Tolliver and John Handy, and let me buy "risk free" - if I didn't like one of his recommendations, I could return and exchange it (I never did).

http://articles.philly.com/1997-12-19/news/25555198_1_stores-jim-donio-vast-musical-knowledge

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Third Street, which began in 1972 as a 2,500-square-foot hole in the wall on Third barely north of Market, was once the largest of the city's independent record stores. Now it joins Penn Records, the Record Museum, Red Dot and Radio 437 in the bins of history.

Jerry Gordon, a 21-year-old record collector, started Third Street by stocking discards from labels such as Riverside and Blue Note.

``I found that people were coming in for all kinds of black music, not just jazz,'' recalled Gordon, now head of Evidence Records, the Conshohocken-based jazz and blues label he founded in 1991. ``Then punk and new-wave people came looking for rare imports. The store just evolved based on what people wanted.''

Third Street became a hangout where people talked and listened, and where more than a few regulars met their future spouses. ``It was a really fun place with total reverence for music,'' Gordon said. ``Music first.''

In Boston, there was Stereo Jack's, staffed by Charlie Kohlhase (not a bad arrangement!). In Portsmouth, there was Rock Bottom Records. The owner knew next to nothing of Jazz, but was able to hire people to manage other catalogs, so he took on Jazz. He lucked out. My father served as his unofficial adviser. That's good company when building a collection.

• 2 weeks later...

Felser, looks like this was a HELL of a BFT...apologies again for missing it!

Hey Tim! Jymmie Merritt is THE exception to my electric bass rule.

:tup

I got the chance to do a couple of gigs with Eddie about... eesh... 7 years ago. Tim (webbcity) was on those, as well. Good times.

:Nod::party: