Search with Bing, get Amazon gift cards

Microsoft has decided to up the ante in its competition with Google, and is now paying you with Amazon gift cards to use its Bing search engine.

http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_93f594a3-469d-88d2-5ad6-3f724a86dc3f

I believe that when you sign up, you will be given your own referral link, which you are welcome to post in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since we are getting paid in a small way to use Bing to search the internet, tonight I looked up a few old friends that I hadn't heard from in years.

I've been stunned since learning two hours ago that a very sweet young lady who was a college classmate of mine and the girlfriend of a buddy of mine died of cancer two years ago. She was 61. On Monday I'll have a Mass said for her.

If GA's experience is typical, it looks like we have to use Bing for 2 weeks to get a gift card. Too bad it isn't a better search engine.

I may be wrong, but I think that when I started this thread they gave me one point for every two searches. Now they give me one point for every three searches. Maybe that is for everyone, or maybe they are just throttling me.

One habit that I have changed is that I go to Bing rather than straight to Wikipedia to look things up.

Also, I am using Bing to find news articles about today's headlines. I didn't used to do that before.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The number of points you can earn each day is limited so you won't "get rich" over a weekend. If you click on pre-defined searches rather than typing words into the search box you can earn 15 points in about five minutes. If you're disciplined enough to do that daily the points will add up. I use Bing for most of my searches, but when I really need to find something I still use Google.

I received my sixth $5 Amazon gift card from Bing today.

I've followed Howdy's advice, and spent a few minutes each day looking at Bing's own list of headlines (which for the most part is divided between serious international news and fluff about starlets).

I figure a couple of minutes a day will get me a box set or two by Christmas.

• 4 months later...

As much as I would love to take advantage of this, I use Goodsearch, which donates 1 cent per search to a charity of your choice. If I were to try to earn Amazon gift cards with Bing, I'd just be performing unneeded searches to earn Bing points, which would be a waste of time.

Edited by Justin V

Justin, thanks for telling me about Goodsearch. I'll take a look at it.

In regard to Bing, the link takes me to the Bing Rewards page. At the upper right, there is a link called "Back to Bing."

The Back to Bing link takes me to two news aggregators. Although some of those items are regarding trivial pop culture and starlets, most are interesting news items that I often see on other news websites the following day. So by daily looking at "Back to Bing," I often get some news a day before other people.