An observation on Toscanini

bogdan101

A few day ago I got the big Toscanini box , the Complete RCA Collection, and, what can I say, it's quite irresistible. He had a way with everything he played that communicates on a visceral level. There is something that is the opposite of academic, a way in which he makes everything sound like popular music. A working class hero, trying to give the music back to the masses.

The highlight so far: Mozart Basoon Concerto K.V. 191.

Quoting an Amazon review:

"In 1992 RCA/BMG released the first 82 CD Toscanini Collection.
That is the template upon which the new Toscanini Collection was assembled.

In 1999 RCA/BMG issued twelve 2 CD sets of Toscanini in new, 20-bit transfers. Most people thought these were an improvement over the 16-bit transfers of 1992. *
In 2006 Toscanini's Philadelphia Orchestra recordings were issued in new transfers.
Finally in 2008 Sony Japan issued 15 CDs worth of transfers on Japanese JVC XRCDs [most of this material overlapped with the 1999 20-bit transfers]. JVC XRCDs are highly valued by collectors - I could never afford them.

If you're adding this up, approximately one third of the 1992 set was re-done in new and improved transfers.
Of course, in an ideal world, someone would have re-mastered the remaining 2/3 using the latest technology, but this is not an ideal world.

GOOD NEWS: Sony took the 1992 Collection as a template, and inserted the new and improved masterings onto the appropriate CDs. Can't complain about that."

• 4 months later...

If you have a 5.1 system, you can significantly improve the quality of a lot of the recordings in this box by using a DSP. Toscanini recorded in a dry shoebox of a recording studio. If your AV receiver has hall ambiences, try adding one and you'll be amazed at how much better these recordings sound with a little bit of life in the room. My Yamaha receiver has a DSP based on acoustic measurements taken from the Vienna Sofiensaal. When I use that, it sounds almost as good as stereo.

If you have a 5.1 system, you can significantly improve the quality of a lot of the recordings in this box by using a DSP. Toscanini recorded in a dry shoebox of a recording studio. If your AV receiver has hall ambiences, try adding one and you'll be amazed at how much better these recordings sound with a little bit of life in the room. My Yamaha receiver has a DSP based on acoustic measurements taken from the Vienna Sofiensaal. When I use that, it sounds almost as good as stereo.

I've never heard of this, which shouldn't be a surprise.

What do the purists say? Are these sort of electronic overlays -- for lack of a better term -- considered a real enhancement, or a distortion?

(Well, I guess I know what the purists would say, but nonetheless. ...)