romualdo

Mary Halvorson - best place to start?

32 posts in this topic

Regarding 'looks' I mean, sure, I agree, but getting to know her as a human being/improviser trumps everything else...

As someone who knows her well has said - "she really doesn't know how great she is".

My limited experience in interacting with her is that she is humble and very kind.

On 18 Feb 2015 23:28:33, jlhoots said:

Ghost Loop

Another vote for Ghost Loop on For Tune, the trio live in Poland. Great concert and recording.

don't get what's great about her sound...that sound whenever she uses a guitar, flipping the expression pedal around on a Line 6 echo. It's distracting.

Edited by 7/4

I forgot about this post I made back in 2015 but I eventually met Mary (plus Sylvie Courvoisier) when they played to a handful of people at "The Owl" in Brooklyn back in September 2017. My partner & I sat at the very front & they both allowed me to take photographs during the performance. Also, it was a real buzz talking to both of them at the bar afterwards.

Totally no shit/pretension from either. They were lovely.

listening to Pierre Henry's Variations pour Une Porte et Un Soupir this morning. Now there's a squeaky door that's put to creative use!