Billie Holiday b-day April 7, 1915

l p

For BH's 100th birthday, WKCR has been playing all BH on their jazz shows all week. Today and tomorrow, they'll be playing BH 24/7.

They've played a lot of her early stuff with neanderthal rhythm sections, and she seemed to react to her rhythm section, causing her to sound much less nuanced then her later stuff.

Then they played her later stuff with Tony Scott as her musical director, and he hired much hipper musicians like Kenny Burrell and others, and you can hear her genius as she reacts to the hipper changes and sings some incredible things.

I was listening to a classical radio station yesterday and they played a cut from an album of songs associated with Billie Holiday, played by pianist Lara Downes. Of course, since it was a classical station, they wouldn't play even one cut of Billie herself. Perhaps they thought her music might contaminate the usual stuff they play.

Have you seen this new 2-cds from Uptown Records : "Billie Holiday Banned From New York City Live 1948-1957" ? Seems very interesting !

More infos : (2-CD set) 42 track collection of live recordings spanning the years 1948-1957 with various groups including Billie Holiday trios, Red Norvo All Stars, Skitch Henderson Orchestra and Billie Holiday trio with Paul Quinichette. 110 minutes of music including Good Morning Heartache, Lover Man, Strange Fruit, Russian Lullaby, Laura, The Man I Love, He's Funny That Way and many more.

links : http://www.uptownrecords.net/home/store/111.html

Tribute to Billie Holiday - Ein Abend mit Cassandra Wilson. Aus der Philharmonie München, Dec. 12, 2014. 77 Min.

On ARTE.TV yesterday night, now on web till July 12, 2015.

Line-up:

Cassandra Wilson (voc)

Grégoire Maret (harmonica)

Brandon Ross (g)

Jon Cowherd (p)

Lonnie Plaxico (b)

John Davis (dr)

http://concert.arte.tv/de/cassandra-wilson-billie-holiday

Have you seen this new 2-cds from Uptown Records : "Billie Holiday Banned From New York City Live 1948-1957" ? Seems very interesting !

More infos : (2-CD set) 42 track collection of live recordings spanning the years 1948-1957 with various groups including Billie Holiday trios, Red Norvo All Stars, Skitch Henderson Orchestra and Billie Holiday trio with Paul Quinichette. 110 minutes of music including Good Morning Heartache, Lover Man, Strange Fruit, Russian Lullaby, Laura, The Man I Love, He's Funny That Way and many more.

Anyone know how many (if any) of these performances were issued by ESP?

Anyone know how many (if any) of these performances were issued by ESP?

Or if there are any new discoveries here relative to what has been circulating?

• 2 weeks later...

With the Jazz World celebrating 100 years of Lady Day's birth, and when no new musical material seemed to be possibly added to the singer's large and wonderful output, Uptown Records presents this collection of 2-CDs devoted to Billie, on which various previously unknown broadcast recordings come to light. The subtitle speaks about Holiday's impossibility to work in New York clubs during most of those years, due to losing her cabaret card (a document issued by the New York police) because of her problems with drugs and alcohol.

The broadcasts present her in various different venues, in America and abroad, and with a diversity of accompanying musicians. But what's most remarkable here, as it couldn't be otherwise, is Billie's voice. The program presents new versions of songs from her usual repertoire, but also a few rarities, such a 1948 Los Angeles reading of her classic but not so often recorded “Strange Fruit” (that program also includes the rarely heard “Maybe You'll Be There”), and a 1949 version throughout and sound quality is quite good considering the rarity of these documents. An amazing discovery.

CD 1 Shrine Auditorium Concert, Los Angeles, December 14, 1948

[1-6]: Billie Holiday

BILLIE HOLIDAY (voc)

BOBBY TICKER (p)

JOHN LEVY (b)

PHIL HAVER (d)

[7-13]: Red Norvo All Stars

RED NORVO (vib)

NEAL HEFTI (tp)

HERBIE STEWARD (cl, ts)

JIMMY ROWLES (d)

ROBERT "IGGY" SHEVAK (b)

ROY "BLINKE" GAMER (d)

[14-18]: Billie Holiday with Her Trio & Red Norvo All Stars

RED NORVO (vib)

NEAL HEFTI (tp)

HERBIE STEWARD (cl, ts)

JIMMY ROWLES (p)

ROBERT "IGGY" SHEVAK (b)

ROY "BLINKIE" GARNER (d)

BILLIE HOLIDAY (voc)

BOBBY TUCKER (p)

JOH LEVY (b)

PHIL HAVER (d)

CD 2

[1-2] BILLIE HOLIDAY (voc), CARL DRINKARD (p)

The Frank Brookhouser Show, WFIL-TV, Philadelphia, January 30, 1951

[3-10] BILLIE HOLIDAY (voc), CARL DRINKARD (p), RED MITCHELL (b), ELAINE LEIGHTON (d)

“Jazz Club USA” Tour in France, Palais de Breaux Arts, Brussels, January 24, 1954

[11-15] BILLIE HOLIDAY (voc), CARL DRINKARD (p), JIMMIE WOODE (b), MARQUIS FOSTER (d)

The Hit Hat, Boston, MA., March 7, 1954

[16-18] BILLIE HOLIDAY (voc) Band Perssonel Not Identified

The Steve Allen Tonight Show. NBC-TV, NYC, February 10, 1956

[19-22] BILLIE HOLIDAY (voc), CORKY HALE (p), JULES MERTAU (b), BOB NEEL (d)

Stars of Jazz TV Program, KABC-TV, Los Angeles, CA, August 13, 1956

[23-24] BILLIE HOLIDAY (voc), PAUL QUINICHETTE (ts), CARL MARK (p)

SAM SAFFINI (b), DOMINIC SIMONETTA (d)

NBC Monitor Broadcast from Mister Kelly's, Chicago IL, March 24, 1957

TRACKLIST

CD 1

01. Good Morning Heartache

02. Lover Man

03. You're Driving Me Crazy

04. Maybe You'll Be There

05. I Wonder Where Our Love Has Gone

06. Strange

07. Russian Lullaby

08. Bop !

09. Sealed witn A Kiss

10. Medley: Embraceable You / Unidentified Bass Feature

11. Laura

12. Adios

13. The Man I Love

14. My Man

15. Miss Brown to You

16. Them There Eyes

17. No More 18. I Love My Man

CD 2

01. Lover Man

02. Miss Brown to You

03. He's Funny That Way

04. All of Me

05. My Man

06. Them There Eyes

07. I Cried For You

08. Don't Explain

09. Fine and Mellow

10. What A Little Moonlight Can Do

11. Blue Moon

12. All Of Me

13. Tenderly

14. Them There Eyes

15. Wollow Weep For Me

16. Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone

17. Steve Allen Interview

18. I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance with You

19. Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone

20. I Love My Man

21. My Man

22. Sign Off

23. Good Morning Heartache

24. You Better Go Now

http://billieholiday.be/

previously unissued items on this release:

CD 1 Shrine Auditorium Concert, Los Angeles, December 14, 1948 (December 15, 1948)

////06. Strange Fruit

CD 2

////[1-2] BILLIE HOLIDAY (voc), CARL DRINKARD (p)

The Frank Brookhouser Show, WFIL-TV, Philadelphia, January 30, 1951

01. Lover Man

02. Miss Brown to You

////[11-15] BILLIE HOLIDAY (voc), CARL DRINKARD (p), JIMMIE WOODE (b), MARQUIS FOSTER (d)

The Hit Hat, Boston, MA., March 7, 1954

11. Blue Moon

12. All Of Me

13. Tenderly

14. Them There Eyes

15. Willow Weep For Me