Roland Kirk - Newport Jazz Festival, European Tour - Fall 1964

EKE BBB

I am trying to sort out the detailed itinerary of the Roland Kirk Quartet (Kirk, Tete Montoliu, Tommy Potter and Kenny Clarke), as part of the European Tour of the Newport Jazz Festival, starting in late September 1964 and ending in mid October that year.

These are the dates I have so far:

-September 26: Philharmonic, Berlin. Jimmy Woode instead of Tommy Potter.
-September 27: Pralaten Schoenberg, Berlin.
-October 1: Victoria Hall, Geneve. Jimmy Woode instead of Tommy Potter.
-October 2: La Salle Pleyel, Paris.
-October 3: Johanneshov Ice Stadium, Stockholm.
-October 4 : KB Hallen, Copenhagen. RRK Quartet did not play, and it was just Tete Montoliu who joined the In Memoriam Charlie Parker group for the first tune, "Now's The Time".
-October 5: Mässhallen, Gothenburg.
-October 6: Messuhalli, Helsinki.
-October 8: Stadthalle, Sindelfingen.
-October 9: Concertgebouw, Amsterdam.
-October 10: Teatro Dell'Arte, Milano.
-October 11: Palais des Beaux Arts, Brussel.

Additional suggested concerts include:

-Frankfurt
-Cologne
-Basel
-Zurich
-Hamburg
-Paris (again)
-Lyon
-Marseille
-London

Any additional information is most welcome.

• 1 year later...

I am afraid I can only add to the confusion/uncertainties about dates/locations etc.

I just checked the Aug./Sept./Oct./Nov./Dec. copies of my 1964 issues of the German jazz mag JAZZ PODIUM, and strangely enough  no mention at all is made of any tour of this cavalcade of stars (billed as "USA Jazz Festival" in Sweden - and possibly elsewhere? -, BTW, according to the Swedish ORKESTER JOURNALEN mag. No mention of Newport anywhere) - EXCEPT for their appearance within the scope of the "Berliner Jazztage" festival (24 to 27 September) where the lineup including Roland Kirk indeed appeared at the festival on the 26th and at the Jazz Ball at the "Prälat" in Berlin-Schöneberg (note spellings of both ;)) on the 27th.
Roland Kirk was just one of a long list of stars appearing on one and the same evening, including Pee Wee Russell, Sister Rosetta THarpe, Champion Jack Dupree, a round of beboppers for an "In Memoriam of Charlie Parker" set (feat. McGhee, Stitt, JJ Johnson, Clarke. etc), Dave Brubeck on the 26th and an even longer list of acts on the 27th.

But I was unable to find any other information about any other appearance of this huge lineup of stars anywere in Germany in this mag in the issues before, during and after the (presumed) dates. Surprising considering the cost this tour must have involved. It seems like at this time, apart from the Berlin festival, all the "concert" publicity and coverage space in the mag was taken up by the American Folk Blues Festival. I would have expected to see at least brief monthly lists of upcoming gig dates (including this tour package) but no such thing ...

Re. Zurich - 29th of September 1964 can be confirmed. I just dug up these in the archives of the NZZ (Neue Zürcher Zeitung):

On September 23rd (repeated on 25th and 28th, thus not prepared), there was this:

NZZ_19640923_A4_zpsm4f7xzrw.jpg

On September 29th, it looked somewhat different ("Heute" means "Today", or in this case rather: "Tonight"):

NZZ_19640929_D1_zpskmiaelpw.jpg

And then, on October 6th, there was this review:

NZZ_19641006_C25a_zpsiyei3xwj.jpgNZZ_19641006_C25b_zpskegfjror.jpg

my quick and dirty translation:

"American Jazz Festival in Switzerland"

bsp. It was a great idea to have the jazz orchestras that were booked for the Berliner Festwochen tour in the following weeks. Some of them were brought to Switzerland in the course. Thus, jazz fans were able to hear an All-Star-Group led by trombonist J.J. Johnson as well as saxophonist Roland Kirk at Zurich's Volkshaus last week.

The concert's first part was dedicated to the memory of the late saxophonist and composer Charlie Parker, who face-lifted jazz like no other musician in the forties yet is almost forgotten today. All the more it is welcome that a group of musicians from his circle could be put together for a short time. However, each musician has walked his own path in the past years, and it was obviously difficult for them to arrive at a good level of interplay. As far as solos go, Jay Jay Johnson was particularly convincing with his impressively simple and confident manner of playing. Sonny Sitt had to accept the ungrateful part of filling the role of Parker's - a comparison that has to be disadvantageous for him. Trumpet player Howard McGhee appeared insecure, just like Kenny Clarke, who only regained his usual superiority late towards the end of the concert. Tommy Potter proved a reliable accompanist on bass. The miserably tuned grand piano of the Volkshaus spoilt the fun for the otherwise excellent Walter Bishop.

Blind Roland Kirk, appearing like a carnival vendor hung with his eccentrically adapted saxophones, flutes and whistles, is likely one of the most amazing musicians brought forth by jazz. Whether playing two or even three instruments simultaneously, producing new sounds on flute, or sitting down at the piano for a few bars - he does all of this with musical supremacy and technical perfection only very few jazz musicians possess. Spanish (sic!) pianist Tete Montoliu accompanied with subtle empathy and proved a soloist of high class. The attentive audience was appreciative of what they got to hear and had Roland Kir play a solo encore of towering brillance.

As part of the same organisation, a second concert took place at Zurich Kongresshaus with the quintet of the well-known american trumpet player Miles Davis. With him were saxophonist Sam Rivers, technically outstanding but too much under the influence of Davis' strong personality; pianist Herbie Hancock, not very stylistically distinct; excellent bassist Ron Carter; as well as somewhat one-sided drummer Tony Williams. MIles Davis himself proved to be in perfect shape, particularly in several ballads, while the partly forced fast numbers failed to fully convince. Altogether this concert left the impression that many modern musicians seem to have forgotten that uncompromising, avantgarde jazz, too requires a real connection to the audience to stay alive.

Talking about reviews, no doubt the way the concerts were set up in Zurich was far more sympathetic both to the artists and to the audience - as opposed to the marathon all-star line-up with one group chasing the other - 9 in all - as part of the mammoth package tour elsewhere during the tour.

Orkester Journalen had this to say about the Roland Kirk part of the Oct. 3 concert in Stockholm (otherwise labeled a "fantastic jazz gala"):

(It was already 2 am when the set PRECEDING Kirk - featuring the Charlie Parker memorial bop All Stars - started and distinct signs of general fatigue both among the audience and the musicians had begun to make themselves felt:) "Well, the public was lucky to have multi-instrumentalist Roland Kirk - who was in fresher shape - blow some fresh life into them when his turn came, though this hardly worked in the case of Clarke whom he took over from the bop group along with Potter. Kirk himself is a phenomenon and it is nice to see he is appreciated by so many. His phrasing is not all that noteworthy but what he does he does well. His appearance on stage is also a nice feast for the eyes.  Kirk put a final point to what in a way was the most remarkable jazz evening that I (the reviewer) have witnessed in Sweden."

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I was actually rather surprised to read such a positive review of Kirk from that time. True, it is patronising somewhat (I guess yozmu still can't do Kirk without "Jahrmarkt" until this day), but it's about Kirk the musician mostly, and really endorsing what he does.

Thanks a million, Steve and Flurin! Really useful and interesting info that I will start working with.

Besides resuming and finishing (wishful thinking) my Tete Montoliu Chronology this year, commemorating the 20th anniversary of his passing, I am also setting up a blog with more detailed information for certain gigs, tours... with reviews, unpublished photos and additional memorabilia (ads, posters, concert tickets...).

1 hour ago, king ubu said:

I'm not allowed to read the second page - what's the contradiction?

Ruby Braff's discography lists:

* Paris (La Salle Pleyel) on October 2, while George Bonifacio's research and Jordi Pujol's book confirm it was October 1.

* Milano on September 29 or 30, while George Bonifacio's research and review on Musica Jazz confirm it was October 10.

More research to be done on possible concerts by RRK Quartet in London, following the tour in the continent. I have already found some mentions, but no primary sources yet.

The Ruby Braff discography lists one gig at the Marquee Club (recording of Jazz 625 program for BBC telecast) on October 11.

2 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

* Paris (La Salle Pleyel) on October 2, while George Bonifacio's research and Jordi Pujol's book confirm it was October 1.

no, this is October 2.

the london dates are at ronnie scott's club. kirk with Stan Tracey p; Rick Laird b; Allan Ganley dr.

some of these have been released on Harkit and Ronnie Scott’s Jazz House cd's.

2 hours ago, l p said:

no, this is October 2.

Thanks for your reply.

I have to check my files, but I have listed October 1 so far, based on my previous research. Do you have any primary source?

2 hours ago, l p said:

the london dates are at ronnie scott's club. kirk with Stan Tracey p; Rick Laird b; Allan Ganley dr.

some of these have been released on Harkit and Ronnie Scott’s Jazz House cd's.

Stan Tracey on piano. That would confirm that Tete did not leave the continent for the UK, contradicting some second-hand sources. Or, at least, not as part of the RRK Quartet.

4 hours ago, king ubu said:

Okay, I see ... but the 29th is confirmed now, I guess :)

Someone here ought to have some UK jazz rags - @sidewinder, maybe? - or access to some daily paper's archives to run a search like thd one I did?

Sorry, a bit slow to react to this one. Just did a quick check of 'Jazz Monthly' 1964 and there's a Val Wilmer picture of Kirk on the front of the Nov 1964 edition, so he was 'topical'. Also a writeup of the Parker tribute 'Bird Night' in the Xmas 1964 edition. That group also did a great 'Jazz 625' broadcast, fortunately preserved.

Forgot to mention that the Pee Wee gig got a write-up too..

12 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Sorry, a bit slow to react to this one. Just did a quick check of 'Jazz Monthly' 1964 and there's a Val Wilmer picture of Kirk on the front of the Nov 1964 edition, so he was 'topical'. Also a writeup of the Parker tribute 'Bird Night' in the Xmas 1964 edition. That group also did a great 'Jazz 625' broadcast, fortunately preserved.

Forgot to mention that the Pee Wee gig got a write-up too..

What slow ... thanks for checking! Of course my question was triggered by Agustín's research (see posts above), so would you have exact dates to confirm?