Wolfgang's Vault: Recommendations?

medjuck

Wolfgang's Vault has changed their member ship  fees and as  a result I've got a credit of about $60.  Their downloads now cost $5 so I'll be using the credit for  12 downloads. Except for a 1980 Clash concert I presume I'll choose all jazz   of which they have a lot. Anyone here   familiar with what they've got and have any recommendations?  I know some of the concerts (especially Newport) have been available on cd and some can be streamed and not downloaded.  They have many Newport sets so even if you aren't familiar with the vault  are there an memorable Newport concerts you'd recommend?  (I've already asked and they don't seem to have the 1958 concert with Pee Wee Russell and Lester Young.) 

BTW Under their old system you got one free download of their choosing  twice a week.  I got some  Al and Zoot  that way and also some  good Bill Evans. Other things I've bought include Gil Evans, Duke Ellington and George Russell.\ 

I believe there are two Horace Silver sets, 1959 and 1960 I think, one of which features tracks from Blowing the Blues Away when it was so fresh they hadn't even laid down the Blue Note album yet.

There's also a Hank + Lee Messengers session from 1959.

Those are the best of the best imho.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk 
Fillmore East Apr 3, 1971 - Early 36:52
Fillmore East Apr 3, 1971 - Late 29:25

I've already downloaded 2 of his Newport appearances including one where he came on between Blood, Sweat and Tears and Jeff Beck!  He berated the audience as dope smoking "hipsters"  and still got a standing  ovation and an encore. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just did multiple downloads this morning to use up my credit before it expired on the 17th

The Maynard Ferguson Orch from 1959 (Newport) is a standout - lots of Slide Hampton plus Wayne Shorter

James Brown Newport 69

The Meters 1970 (New Orleans Jazz Festival)

Larry Young (Fuel) Newport 75

Betty Carter Great American Music Hall 1979 - a lot of this material went onto her Bet Car release "the Audience with Betty Carter"

Max Roach (Newport 67) with Tolliver, Cowell

Sonny Criss Quartet (Newport 68) this is very short

Joe Henderson Quintet Great Am Mus Hall 1975

Other recommended (previously downloaded)

Cecil Taylor (Newport 65), Sunny Murray (Newport 69), all Monk, Paul Bley (Newport 65), George Russell (Newport 64), Albert Mangelsdorff (Newport 65)

John Handy (Newport 67), Mulligan Big Band (Newport 60), Freddie Hubbard (Newport 69), Booker Ervin (Newport 67), Anthony Braxton (Newport 76)

Ted Curson (Newport 76), Mastersounds (Newport 59), Elvin Jones (Newport 74), Hampton Hawes (GAMH 76), Jazztet (Newport 60)

I just did multiple downloads this morning to use up my credit before it expired on the 17th

The Maynard Ferguson Orch from 1959 (Newport) is a standout - lots of Slide Hampton plus Wayne Shorter

James Brown Newport 69

The Meters 1970 (New Orleans Jazz Festival)

Larry Young (Fuel) Newport 75

Betty Carter Great American Music Hall 1979 - a lot of this material went onto her Bet Car release "the Audience with Betty Carter"

Max Roach (Newport 67) with Tolliver, Cowell

Sonny Criss Quartet (Newport 68) this is very short

Joe Henderson Quintet Great Am Mus Hall 1975

Other recommended (previously downloaded)

Cecil Taylor (Newport 65), Sunny Murray (Newport 69), all Monk, Paul Bley (Newport 65), George Russell (Newport 64), Albert Mangelsdorff (Newport 65)

John Handy (Newport 67), Mulligan Big Band (Newport 60), Freddie Hubbard (Newport 69), Booker Ervin (Newport 67), Anthony Braxton (Newport 76)

Ted Curson (Newport 76), Mastersounds (Newport 59), Elvin Jones (Newport 74), Hampton Hawes (GAMH 76), Jazztet (Newport 60)

Wow! Thanks.