JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

43,132 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Maybe from Larry Young I expected something else, something more like the Albums he made before for BN. (Unity)

I've REALLY been enjoying Of Love and Peace lately. It's hit me hard -- in a good way. But you're right that it's quite different than his Blue Notes before it.

12 minutes ago, Justin V said:

5177JHvEBhL._SY400_.jpg

My toddler is slowly killing me with sleep deprivation.  This is restoring some bloodflow to my head.

My two year old is a self professed Herbie Hancock fan. It can be done. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

My two year old is a self professed Herbie Hancock fan. It can be done. 

My daughter will be 3 in February.  She heard Wayne Shorter, Lee Konitz, Larry Willis, Jack DeJohnette, Chucho Valdes and other greats live while still in the womb, so I started her early.  :D  She routinely asks for Sonny Stitt and Joe Pass, so those two Mosaics see a lot of play here. 

When I told her today that I was going to put on the Miles classic, 'Round About Midnight (I've been in a Coltrane mood), she said, 'Listen to Monk!'  We then listened to the Monk/Coltrane Carnegie Hall concert.  Never has a compromise worked out so well.  She then said 'Coltrane' with a mouthful of lunch during a solo.  She was dancing to the Dolphy album, by the way.

Although I was disappointed that the Deteoit Jazz Fest shifted to streaming this year (Abdullah Ibrahim was originally scheduled), it was fun talking to her about the music while streaming a few sets.  She'll tell me what instrument is soloing and what instrument she wants to hear, which helps me narrow down our listening queue.  She'll also turn a plate over and 'play drums' with a knife and fork.

5 minutes ago, Justin V said:

My daughter will be 3 in February.  She heard Wayne Shorter, Lee Konitz, Larry Willis, Jack DeJohnette, Chucho Valdes and other greats live while still in the womb, so I started her early.  :D  She routinely asks for Sonny Stitt and Joe Pass, so those two Mosaics see a lot of play here. 

When I told her today that I was going to put on the Miles classic, 'Round About Midnight (I've been in a Coltrane mood), she said, 'Listen to Monk!'  We then listened to the Monk/Coltrane Carnegie Hall concert.  Never has a compromise worked out so well.  She then said 'Coltrane' with a mouthful of lunch during a solo.  She was dancing to the Dolphy album, by the way.

Although I was disappointed that the Deteoit Jazz Fest shifted to streaming this year (Abdullah Ibrahim was originally scheduled), it was fun talking to her about the music while streaming a few sets.  She'll tell me what instrument is soloing and what instrument she wants to hear, which helps me narrow down our listening queue.  She'll also turn a plate over and 'play drums' with a knife and fork.

Good work!

Kellee Peterson "Maiden Voyage" Black Jazz Records cd Japan

R-625928-1494501252-6207.jpeg.jpg

Congas, Triangle – Sajih
Bass – John W. Heard
Electric Bass – Henry Davis
Flute – George Harper
Piano – Ernest Van Trease
Tambourine – John Lasalle
Triangle – Billy Osbourne
Trumpet – Everett Turner

KELLEPATT-Nice1.jpg

Niiiice.

Gary Bartz - Ju Ju Man + Love Song (2 LP on 1 CD) - Amazon.com Music

12 hours ago, BillF said:

Yes John, that's the band I saw. Hope you like it. I did!

To Bill F and John Tapscott,I am also a fan of those musicians. Here is another on my shelf with Osian Roberts. 

iu-2.jpeg

On 9/9/2020 at 1:37 AM, EKE BBB said:

6B0E047C-A7D3-40D8-A657-28E57272567F.jpeg

C2CC016F-201E-42FE-8959-5B2D0FF90992.jpeg

I have that one (as a CD) in that black Vogue edition.

Doug Carn: Spirit Of The New Land

R-6270471-1415249917-1977.jpeg.jpg

The Santi Debriano Group - Panamaniacs (Evidence)

Fine work by the late Gary Peacock on this one. Actually, my copy is disc two of the Rustbox.

evans.jpg

First listen:

71ZC07rv3QL._SX600_.jpg

Ryan Cohan - Originations (Origin, 2020)

Mighty impressed, so far.

61zEFiCHpTL._SY400_.jpg

Inspired by the Ambrose Akinmusire thread, I am revisiting this.  I've listened to it probably a handful of times since it came out.  Having checked out a more recent release of his earlier today, we'll see where there this one stands.

a4055882668_16.jpg

Jason Palmer - The Concert: 12 Musings for Isabella (GiantSteps Arts)

Jason Palmer-Trumpet, Compositions
Mark Turner-Tenor Saxophone
Joel Ross-Vibraphone
Edward Perez-Bass
Kendrick Scott-Drums

Edited by sonnyhill

51axA4Rj5KL._SY400_.jpg

I've been celebrating Gary Peacock by revisiting the Standards Trio.  I have 6 albums with the classic trio and At the Deer Head Inn, with Paul Motian in place of Jack DeJohnette.

R-10951459-1507075451-2978.jpeg.jpg

3 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

See the source image

:tup

Yes! Terrific album!