• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I knew a guy from Houston (4th Ward iirc), my age, who when he first heard Ike (that album) and saw the cover, had an immediate moment of recognition of Ike as "one of those pool hall guys". Still love that image, Ike as a pool hall guy, seems to me that there's no way in hell for that to be anything other than totally true!

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I knew a guy from Houston (4th Ward iirc), my age, who when he first heard Ike (that album) and saw the cover, had an immediate moment of recognition of Ike as "one of those pool hall guys". Still love that image, Ike as a pool hall guy, seems to me that there's no way in hell for that to be anything other than totally true!

Excuse my ignorance - what is the meaning of" pool hall guy" in this context ....?

More from "The Liebrach":

81Ft-hrkkQL._SS500_.jpg

Dave Liebman & Richie Beirach - The Duo Live: 1976-1990 (Vaju Productions)
Liebman self-released this set, an expanded version of the duo recordings on their Mosaic Select set. What was a single disc in the Mosaic set amounts to 4 hours of music here.  ... I'm now listening to cuts from '76 recorded at the Keystone Korner.  Absolutely brilliant music, imho.

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

👍

EricDolphy_MusicalProphet_500.jpg

ghost, do the liner notes explain the knot on Dolphy's forehead in that photograph?  Just wondering...

Edited by HutchFan

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

81Ft-hrkkQL._SS500_.jpg

Liebman self-released this set, an expanded version of the duo recordings on their Mosaic Select set. What was a single disc in the Mosaic set amounts to 4 hours of music here.  ... I'm now listening to cuts from '76 recorded at the Keystone Korner.  Absolutely brilliant music, imho.

ghost, do the liner notes explain the knot on Dolphy's forehead in that photograph?  Just wondering...

No, but I've read mention of it elsewhere--that Monk told him not to get it removed, that it was his "knowledge bump."  Iirc Dolphy actually did have it removed, not long before he died.  

7 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

81Ft-hrkkQL._SS500_.jpg

Whoa, that has to be a good one.  I last saw Liebman with Phil Haynes and Drew Gress in November.  I need to pull out that Mosaic Select soon.  I found a used library copy a few years ago for the ridiculously low price of $24. :)

9 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

81Ft-hrkkQL._SS500_.jpg

Looks tasty ....

9 minutes ago, Justin V said:

Whoa, that has to be a good one.  I last saw Liebman with Phil Haynes and Drew Gress in November.  I need to pull out that Mosaic Select soon.  I found a used library copy a few years ago for the ridiculously low price of $24. :)

8 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Looks tasty ....

The 1992 recordings are very, very good -- but the stuff from '76 is absolutely AMAZING.  As on the Mosaic set, you have to make some allowances for the quality of the recorded sound. But the music is just extraordinary... I'm grateful to have it despite the less-than-ideal fidelity.

EDIT:
To sample on YT, click here.

Edited by HutchFan

22 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

The 1992 recordings are very, very good -- but the stuff from '76 is absolutely AMAZING.  As on the Mosaic set, you have to make some allowances for the quality of the recorded sound. But the music is just extraordinary... I'm grateful to have it despite the less-than-ideal fidelity.

EDIT:
To sample on YT, click here.

Thnx ....