Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghost of miles

NBA playoffs thread

157 posts in this topic

Got a dog in this fight, anyone?  Got a pick for who'll go all the way?

I've been a Celtics fan ever since they drafted my favorite IU player as a kid (Quinn Buckner) and have hopes of seeing them reach the Eastern Conference finals, though I still think the Cavaliers will most likely get it together enough to stay EC champs.  I'd say Boston's still one year and one star player away from contending for the overall championship.  Not sure if Isaiah Thomas will be playing tomorrow against the Bulls, as his sister died early this morning in a car wreck--would certainly be understandable if he missed that game or others, and the Celtics' offense tends to be much less effective without him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They won't go "all the way", but I was happy to see Giannis et. al. (the Bucks) manhandle Toronto today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not feeling too confident about the Cavs, and I'm from the Cleveland area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Rockets, but the Western Conference is, as usual, brutal. They really put a no-doubt smackdown on OKC tonight, and given that they've pretty much owned the Thunder all season, I'd expect that trend to continue for the remainder of the first round. But then they'll be faced with the Spurs, who should never be counted out come playoff time. The Rockets were only 1-3 vs. the Spurs this season, but all four games were very close (three of them decided by two points) and could have easily gone either way. If they make it past the Spurs, they'll almost certainly be facing Golden State in the conference finals. The Rockets barely avoided getting swept by GS in the first round last year, and although this year's team is a completely different animal than last year's was, they've still only managed one win vs. the Warriors this year, and the three losses weren't that close. Overall, I think this is the best team they've had in years, but they need to figure out how to take the next step of beating the Warriors in a playoff series. I expect whoever wins the battle of the West will likewise come out on top in the Finals this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been a Celtics fan since I was in my teens, and I have to agree with Ghost of Miles that winning the title this year would be a surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

I've been a Celtics fan since I was in my teens, and I have to agree with Ghost of Miles that winning the title this year would be a surprise.

EKE BBB, that game last night was amazing to watch, even though the Celtics lost (in part because of Jimmy Butler, in part because the Bulls dominated on the boards). The way the team came together around IT, the crowd's response to him, his performance... I didn't think this was going to be an easy series to begin with, and the Celtics could well lose it, which would obviously be a great disappointment. But they had one of the best on-the-road records in the East and can hopefully take one back in Chicago. Brad Stevens has also made this team a pleasure to watch as it develops (he's a god here in Indiana because of what he did at Butler--IU fans are constantly pining for him to come to Bloomington). And it's only going to get better in the next few years. In the meantime, hoping for a deep run into the postseason this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

EKE BBB, that game last night was amazing to watch, even though the Celtics lost (in part because of Jimmy Butler, in part because the Bulls dominated on the boards). The way the team came together around IT, the crowd's response to him, his performance... I didn't think this was going to be an easy series to begin with, and the Celtics could well lose it, which would obviously be a great disappointment. But they had one of the best on-the-road records in the East and can hopefully take one back in Chicago. Brad Stevens has also made this team a pleasure to watch as it develops (he's a god here in Indiana because of what he did at Butler--IU fans are constantly pining for him to come to Bloomington). And it's only going to get better in the next few years. In the meantime, hoping for a deep run into the postseason this year.

Thanks a lot for the chronicle of the game, Ghost! Losing a home game against Chicago is not the best way to start the series, but making it to the Conference Finals is still achievable, of course... (and to the NBA Finals, why not?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we can more games like this from Kevin Love, I'll feel more confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Milestones said:

If we can more games like this from Kevin Love, I'll feel more confident.

:tup:tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I was a Celtics fan when they had the Big Three and Rondo. I am still a fan of his.

C9xv7N8W0AEdQmw.jpg

Edited by uli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, uli said:

 

I was a Celtics fan when they had the Big Three and Rondo. I am still a fan of his.

C9xv7N8W0AEdQmw.jpg

Bulls have the Celtics by the horns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Celtics and Raptors lose in the 1st round 

LBJ/Cavs straight to NBA Finals 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cavs have had more than their share of weird and disappointing moments, but also some phenomenal and record-breaking moments--witness that last game, which had everything.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN just tweeted that the Celtics-Bulls series is the first time that the road team has won the first four games since Mavericks-Rockets in 2005.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Soulstation1 said:

Cavs Crush Celtics 

Yep!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we're heading for the same final: Cavs vs Warriors...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Mike Brown coaches 

Cavs 4-1

Edited by Soulstation1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Looks like we're heading for the same final: Cavs vs Warriors...

If the current trend continues, this matchup will become the Lakers vs. Celtics of this decade. Assuming the Cavs are finals-bound, this year would be LeBron's seventh consecutive trip to the NBA Finals. Don't think anyone else has done that since the Russell-era Celtics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.