Don Ellis - Autumn/Shock Treatment on BGO

felser

BGO in England (my favorite reissue company!) is issuing a 2 CD set of Don Ellis's 'Autumn' and 'Shock Treatment'.  I will be jumping on this one, very happy to get these on CD, especially 'Autumn'.  Release is scheduled later this week,  but I find their releases often are delayed for several weeks, but do eventually come out.

http://www.bgo-records.com/albums/bgocd1333-autumn-shock-treatment

Autumn / Shock Treatment by Don Ellis

I’ve got both on vinyl but I’ll likely also go for this CD issue as their masterings are usually so good. Both albums worth getting and I agree that ‘Autumn’ particularly good.

Didn’t realise they had put out the ‘Tears of Joy’ and ‘Filmore’ - these were also issued on CD in the USA (Wounded Bird).

Edited by sidewinder

49 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I’ve got both on vinyl but I’ll likely also go for this CD issue as their masterings are usually so good. Both albums worth getting and I agree that ‘Autumn’ particularly good.

Didn’t realise they had put out the ‘Tears of Joy’ and ‘Filmore’ - these were also issued on CD in the USA (Wounded Bird).

Way better masterings on BGO.  Those two labels have licensed a lot of the same titles, and I always upgrade to the BGO if I got the Wounded Bird first.  On the other hand, Wounded Bird is one of those labels that has put out things that  no one else would, so I'm thankful for them.

Side 2 of Autumn is my favorite Ellis Columbia, period. Some pretty amazing music, all things considered, this was the Ellis band, imo. Fearless as fuck, and on those type of charts, fearless is a pretty great accomplishment. People talk about how great Dizzy's  40s big band was because it was fearless (gotta hear the live things to get to it, though), well, this is a different "type" of fearless, but once you get down to it, fearless is fearless, period. And these guys, on that night, were fearless.

I'm also thinking that the move to digital might be good, that 2nd side was about a half-hour long. That's never been a problem for me and LPs, but I'm too dumb to know any better.

15 hours ago, GA Russell said:

John, do you usually buy from them direct?

No, I get them from Amazon or ebay resellers.Usually ImportCD's (and they have a really good sale on ebay right now of 20% off $60 orders, which makes sense since it saves them shipping), but sometimes Oxfordshire, Rarewaves, or Zoverstocks. 

Edited by felser