ghost of miles

"Savoring The Savory Collection" on Night Lights

10 posts in this topic

>>For decades Savory kept the recordings, offering some of the Benny Goodman band to its leader, who liked them enough to have them released.

What title was this released under?

36 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

>>For decades Savory kept the recordings, offering some of the Benny Goodman band to its leader, who liked them enough to have them released.

What title was this released under?

R-11817496-1522894124-5519.jpeg.jpg

24 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

R-11817496-1522894124-5519.jpeg.jpg

You mean these below? :lol:

33674365el.jpg

U.K. "original" pressing (Philips) from the 50s.

Your LP shown above seems to have a combination of tracks from the two volumes marketed initially.

Yep, Jazz Concert No. 2 1937-38, released to capitalize on the popularity of the first issue of the 1938 Carnegie Hall concert, I believe.  Subsequently reissued on CD as Benny Goodman On The Air: 1937-38.

Though there were evidently subsequent LP releases in the 1950s?  Or was it all one "deluxe" multi-LP set?  Here's Loren Schoenberg's anecdote about learning there was much more in the Savory collection:

Schoenberg had long been an admirer of the five Benny Goodman LPs Savory had released in the 1950s, discs he viewed as the gold standard in recording quality—“much better than the studio recordings,” he tells me, “and much better even than the famous Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall concerts.”

Upon meeting Savory in person, Schoenberg posed him a single question: “How did you pick the best of everything you had?” Schoenberg wryly recounted Savory’s response: “I didn’t pick the best of everything I had. I picked the best of what was in the first box!”

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/how-countless-hours-live-jazz-was-saved-obscurity-180961213/#81yU31R9EG8kHtzk.99

11 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Yep, Jazz Concert No. 2 1937-38, released to capitalize on the popularity of the first issue of the 1938 Carnegie Hall concert, I believe.  Subsequently reissued on CD as Benny Goodman On The Air: 1937-38.

Though there were evidently subsequent LP releases in the 1950s?  Or was it all one "deluxe" multi-LP set? 

Oh, I have On The Air. Funny: I don't see Savory's name anywhere in the credits. The back says "This double disc compliation is comprised of the original material from the double LP set 1937-38 Jazz Concert #2. The recordings presented here are intact and supplemented by 14 previously unissued numbers from the full band, trio, and quartet." That would suggest there were no subsequent LP releases in the 1950s, or they would have been included in the CD release rather than the previously unissued material.

Just streaming this show - slowly working my way through the Savory set so it is something of a ‘primer’.

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Just streaming this show - slowly working my way through the Savory set so it is something of a ‘primer’.

Many thanks for listening--that's somewhat how I intended it.  

The thanks are to you David, a splendid hour. I also took the opportunity to listen to your Xanadu and Tadd Dameron shows, thoroughly enjoyable !