Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrjazzman

Ambrose Akinmusire

8 posts in this topic

It's official, I am no longer a fan of Ambrose Akinmusire. With each release his music gets stranger and stranger.  With his latest release, I'm starting to wonder,  where is the Jazz. Met him, his wife and baby in the lobby at Yoshi's. Very nice young man, I just can no longer hear his music.

His release before the latest one -- A Rift in Decorum -- is a very nice double album recorded live at the Village Vanguard.  Lots of good playing on that one.

AmbroseAkinmusire_ARiftInDecorum_cover.j

I wasn't so keen on the live album as his other albums although seeing that quartet live was a really intense listen..

I find the new one a stimulating and enjoyable listen. It's no great diversion from his earlier BN releases (spoken word, string writing, a political conscience all appear on the earlier albums) or that really impressive debut on FSNT (ten years ago now!)

I remain a fan and I'm looking forward to where he goes next

R-12676639-1539862430-4513.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mjazzg

Just listened to sound samples of the Vanguard set. He has a recurring theme to all his music, slow and dissonant, imho borderline elevator music. Just my opinion and my ears.

Is dissonance common in elevator music?

Just remember, friction is what keeps things together.